Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Timeline Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   frapnitz

frapnitz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

One of my HR-24s has recently taken to recording  (both manual and non-manual) and showing the time bar properly.  But, when playing it jumps immediately to the end and asks if you want to delete.  If you indicate no, and then go back to the beginning (0:00) and then use the re-wind button, it will contnue to re-wind to the actual beginning of the show.  In the case of the Today show, that is 4 hours.  It wil fast forward and "skip" as it normally does whle all the while remaining on the 0:00 marker. 

This does not happen on "all" recordings (so far). 

Anyone else seen this happen?   Thanx.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

It's not happening on my HR24.  Have you tried resetting the DVR?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

One of my HR-24s has recently taken to recording  (both manual and non-manual) and showing the time bar properly.  But, when playing it jumps immediately to the end and asks if you want to delete.  If you indicate no, and then go back to the beginning (0:00) and then use the re-wind button, it will contnue to re-wind to the actual beginning of the show.  In the case of the Today show, that is 4 hours.  It wil fast forward and "skip" as it normally does whle all the while remaining on the 0:00 marker. 

This does not happen on "all" recordings (so far). 

Anyone else seen this happen?   Thanx.

I have had the status bar stick multiple times and do other strange things - once I had it stick on the same show for over 18 hours. Was not on a HR24 though, but a HR20 iirc.

#4 OFFLINE   frapnitz

frapnitz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

Yes, I pulled the power cord and made it brain dead and that solved the problem for a while and I was disappointed when it did the same thing a few days ago. 

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Yes, I pulled the power cord and made it brain dead and that solved the problem for a while and I was disappointed when it did the same thing a few days ago. 

Is that a 24-500?  

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

I have had the status bar stick multiple times and do other strange things - once I had it stick on the same show for over 18 hours. Was not on a HR24 though, but a HR20 iirc.

I had a HR20 that was once reporting 963 hours in the time bar.

The time bar is based on the Presentation Time Stamp which lives in packet headers, and is analogous to timecode in analog video. But there is really no redundancy or forward error correction for that, other than it repeats in, IIRC, every 10 packets or so. So if it gets corrupted enough (enough of them damaged in a row) the DVR can get confused about just where it is in the world, often defaultiing to 00:00:00. Sometimes you can fast-forward past one of those blips; other times you can't. If the PST is good again 30 seconds down the recording, you might be able to "jump" over it, as the jump feature looks for a PST that is 30 seconds (nearest I-frame to 30, actually) greater than the present PST, and sends the playback there non-linearly like on a DVD, which is how the jump can be instantaneous.

So what is important here is that the video has redundancy in FEC, but the PST does not, which means that if your signal is marginal, there may be corrupted video packets that get fixed by FEC, while PST does not have that option. That means that the video may look fine, but the PST might be corrupted enough to cause this issue, on rare occasion. It does seem unusual that it might be tied to a up rev, though, so maybe something else is causing this for a different reason other than marginal reception. But it would not hurt to verify that.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...