Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Another No Switch Detected Thread

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   arlan in arizona

arlan in arizona

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationQuartzsite Arizona

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

Let me try to explain.

First off I have several Dishnetwork receivers and dishes. This problem is with my oldest and simplest system.

The receiver is a Dish 512 and the dish is an 18” Winegard Crank-up that I have been using for 15 years. The dish has been replace once as it got sloppy and the LNB has been replace a couple of times.

This system is installed on my camper. I was out camping and right after a soaking downpour I could no longer get a signal. I ran check switch and came up with the dreaded no switch detected.

I came home and discovered that the coax was in pretty bad shape and replaced it from the dish to the receiver. Same problem, no switch detected.

I ran a premade coax that I know works and nothing.

I disconnected the coax at the LNB and coupled my new wiring to a ground mounted Dish 500 and all is good. Now this is running the ground mounted dish through my newly installed coax.

Yesterday I changed LNB’s and after messing with it for awhile I got it working.  As a test if disconnected it from power and after another rain storm I have the same problem.

Last night I went to Amazon and got another LNB overnight. No fix. I even changed the receiver to another Dish 512 I have. Still nothing. No switch detected.

Could I have gotten the wrong LNB or a bad LNB. I don’t know where to proceed from here short of getting a new dish. I have been thinking about an automatic dome but don’t know what to get. All I see on Amazon is a package deal and that comes with a 211 receiver.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on here?

Thanks in advance

Arlan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

An 18" (dish 300) doesn't have a SWITCH.  The switch on a dish 500 switches from 110 to 119 satellite so your switch tests have been correct.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

I'd be looking for signs of moisture in the LNB assembly such that it is shorting out.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   arlan in arizona

arlan in arizona

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationQuartzsite Arizona

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

An 18" (dish 300) doesn't have a SWITCH.  The switch on a dish 500 switches from 110 to 119 satellite so your switch tests have been correct.

Thanks, but I have always had to run a check switch procedure in the past wether or not the dish 300 has a switch or not. Problem solve now though. After 15 years of using this trusty old crank-up I retired it. It is in the trash and a new automatic dish is being shipped. If I would have ordered it yesterday I'd be installing it now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...