Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox Sports 1 - Live Event Dispute

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

http://awfulannounci...ball-games.html

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,632 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

I've not heard anything of this... It wouldn't surprise me... FOX tried to strongarm everyone into taking FS1 last year and nobody wanted it... so FOX caved and allowed people to pick it up under current agreement with the channels they already carried... but eventually FOX was going to start asking for more money once they thought customers were getting used to having the channel.

But until there is a missed game... and probably will not be major missed games since most of the other networks already have the big games bought up... this is a non-issue.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,909 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

Didn't this happen with Hockey on Versus a couple of years ago? The programmer added content then demanded a premium to allow existing carriers to retransmit the new content.

The DISH site for this dispute is http://www.dishsportsvalue.com/ ...
"Only a portion of college football games are impacted by this issue. Many other future games will air on other DISH channels including Pac-12 Networks, The SEC Network, Big Ten Network, Longhorn Network, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, CBS Sports Network, ABC, FOX, and NBC."

There are four games next weekend listed on the DISH site that Fox Sports One is refusing to allow DISH to air.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,320 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

To dang funny. There went their ability to really say they have all the pac12 games and DIRECTV is missing some. I think FOX sports has more big games than pac channels usually.

I hope dish hurts FOX and gets the games at no added cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,909 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Hmmm ... Fox Sports 1 is channel 150 and what is next to it?

149 "FTBLL" College Football slate giving channel numbers fro SEC-ESPN, Big Ten, ESPN Goal Line, PAC-12 and Longhorn (not a bad idea since they are all in the 400's+).
151 "COLLG" College Sports App (not available - but apparently the same channel type as the channel 100 Hopper mosaic)
152 "APP" Game Finder Application (which is in a bad place as channel 152 is also MLBN)

147 and 148 ESPN Alternates were removed earlier this week (not available) which would make room for some channel shifting.

DISH has the four games mentioned on the website in the EPG as "Event Not Available". The rest of the schedule (including live NASCAR coverage and an MLB game) is normal.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   tenpins

tenpins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Kinda of funny to hear this information if its true. Friday night the Rocky Mountain Showdown (CU/ CSU) will be played in Dish Network's backyard. While the numbers aren't as big as the Directv/ Pac 12 issue is. I'm sure there will be more than a handful of customers that perhaps will be upset. Maybe an asterisk * will be needed for Dish Networks ad campaign for college football

Video: Dish Network’s New “Go Back To College” Commercial Features Former LSU Star JaMarcus Russell

http://collegespun.c...amarcus-russell

#7 OFFLINE   BCL79

BCL79

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

Well it is a big deal if you've got a dog in the hunt.  And FS1 is (was) carrying a bunch of Big12 games.  Lucky for me I've got season tickets, but the first away game is 13 Sept.  I hope dish and fox get this ironed out by then.

#8 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

When are these providers going to wake up and realize that live sports is the only thing keeping the current pay TV model from going the route of Blockbuster?  Sports is the ONLY reason why I haven't cut the cord.  You can watch every lame reality show known to man and Law & Order 24/7 for $8 a month on Netflix.  That's about the only thing on the general "entertainment" channels anymore.

I'm not an Iowa St. fan, but for Dish Network to say they will have the team playing on the channel that nearly caused the demise of the Big 12 as an alternative to not being able to watch the Iowa St. game on Saturday is pretty insulting.  Last year, the majority of Iowa St. games were on Fox Sports 1.

When the ESPN's of the world figure out a way to offer programming to non-pay TV subscribers (other than paying subscribers sharing user name's and password's), it will be the end of the current pay TV model as we know it.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#9 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

To dang funny. There went their ability to really say they have all the pac12 games and DIRECTV is missing some. I think FOX sports has more big games than pac channels usually.

I hope dish hurts FOX and gets the games at no added cost.

I'm sure I'm not a sports nut.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,909 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

When the ESPN's of the world figure out a way to offer programming to non-pay TV subscribers (other than paying subscribers sharing user name's and password's), it will be the end of the current pay TV model as we know it.

That is not the direction ESPN is going. ABC/ESPN/Disney, as well as other major providers, are extending the pay TV model beyond fixed cable and satellite to portable devices and IPTV subscription. They like that model ... and know that as long as they have exclusive content people want they can leverage what they control to make them the most money possible.

#11 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Rutgers getting blacked out certainly is not going to sit well with the BigTen or Rutgers fans. Especially when it is Rutgers first game in the BigTen.

FSP1 is repeating the game, the next morning at 8:30AM EDT.

This is still weird seeing one type of sport being blocked. This is setting a very bad precedent. DISH is better off blocking the whole channel, then playing the "blackout by dispute"  game. People still complain when games are blacked out because of league or NCAA requirements; something that DISH can't control. This situation, is under DISH's control.

Finally, there are going to be some very angry people around here because DISH is not showing the Rocky Mountain Showdown. CSU - Colorado normally played on Root Rocky Mountain, as a Sunday afternoon game. FOX lured them to FSP1, and a night game, and now DISH, which is based here, and FOX are not playing well together.

I just hope this does not become a common practice with DISH, DirecTV, or one's local cable company. This is the kind of things that makes more people "cut the cord".

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,909 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

DISH is better off blocking the whole channel, then playing the "blackout by dispute"  game. People still complain when games are blacked out because of league or NCAA requirements; something that DISH can't control. This situation, is under DISH's control.

It is not under DISH's control. Fox is telling DISH that they do not have the rights to carry these specific games. DISH cannot carry content that they do not have the rights to carry (that does not end well - see DISH's four year gap in carrying Disney, ESPNU and ESPNews). They have the rights to carry the rest of the content ... refusing to deliver the rest of Fox Sports One's content would not be good for subscribers who want what DISH can deliver and may be considered a breach of contract on DISH's part.

DISH is not choosing the content to "black out" ... at this point they are only refusing to pay extra for that content. Above what they already agreed to pay for the various Fox networks. Fox is the one moving the content to a rebranded channel then refusing to deliver it without a ransom.

#13 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for clearing hat up, I was not sure where the dispute really was.

So, what's next, FOX telling DISH they can't carry FOX OTA Prime Time and Sunday NFL games? Then when the Bowl games are played, they can't carry them either? Where does this end?

#14 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 342 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

Fox's greed knows no bounds. They're pulling the same stunt with weekend Braves games in the Atlanta DMA. What mental midget is overpaying for games at Fox (I'd fire them)? That's their problem, not ours. Hope Dish told them to stick their "ransom" in a lower body cavity (slowly, sideways and dry).

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,320 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that these channels dot want to allow a la cart proving for customers or even smaller packages but they have no issue wanting to charge providers more when when they add a few games as though they can charge them a la cart?

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,632 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

Yep...  They want to be in a low tier and get money from everyone whether you watch or not... but sometimes want to price as if they are an on-demand channel.

This is something that is going to have to give/break at some point.  Channels either need to live in a tier or live as a stand alone and stop trying to straddle the fence.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#17 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

What used to be Santanta Sports, now FOX Soccer Plus is a $15 a moth sport channel showing rugby, soccer and Australian Rules Football. Santanta was bought out, because their model failed. Not sure if FOX is having the same revenue woes. When i had the channel, it had very few commercials, most were promos fro upcoming events.

While the model fro PPV movies is well established, only major sport events end up on PPV (boxing comes to mind). But, with wall to wall College football, asking people to start paying for games, via PPV, ala carte, etc. will have a great deal of push back from subscribers. It is bad enough that the most bowl games are no longer on broadcast TV.  Going to a PPV/ala carte model, will just take greed to a higher level. The conferences and schools will lose a great deal of revenue, because they will not get the viewers they have with the current model.

FOX Sports 1 is shooting themselves in the foot. The Big 12 and BigTen will be very reluctant to schedule games on that channel, and other entities will be reluctant, as well.  FOX was trying to create what they have in the UK and Australia, with multiple sport networks; but this trip up will not be helpful to their goals.

Yep...  They want to be in a low tier and get money from everyone whether you watch or not... but sometimes want to price as if they are an on-demand channel.

This is something that is going to have to give/break at some point.  Channels either need to live in a tier or live as a stand alone and stop trying to straddle the fence.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,632 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, I think FOX missed the mark here.  Basically they are late to the game in trying to have a sports channel of their own... should have done it years ago... so they nearly failed at getting their foot in the door at launch last year and had to settle for putting the channel up on existing contracts... and I'm sure they hoped the ratings would dictate a better renewal rate... but they have been cancelling shows on their network left and right.. and most of the better football matchups are already on other channels with higher profiles + with Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC Networks... and Longhorn as well... there's just not enough compelling content for them to be in a position to say "give us lots of money or no games for you"... and ultimately pulling the game feeds will backfire on them with advertisers who were paying for time based on the Dish eyeballs that now can't watch the games... so FOX will have a problem there too.

They're trying too hard to have an instant favorite channel that really no one demanded... and it's going to implode on them if they don't change directions.

I like sports, but the FOX OTA channel has better college football games on the schedule than does FS1 frankly!

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#19 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

Of course, FOX could play hardball and force DISH pull their games off of Fox OTA channels. Fortunately, I installed OTA capability, because I the broadcaster "disputes". Also, having OTA takes care of some rain fade issues, when the weather gets bad around here.

Yeah, I think FOX missed the mark here.  Basically they are late to the game in trying to have a sports channel of their own... should have done it years ago... so they nearly failed at getting their foot in the door at launch last year and had to settle for putting the channel up on existing contracts... and I'm sure they hoped the ratings would dictate a better renewal rate... but they have been cancelling shows on their network left and right.. and most of the better football matchups are already on other channels with higher profiles + with Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC Networks... and Longhorn as well... there's just not enough compelling content for them to be in a position to say "give us lots of money or no games for you"... and ultimately pulling the game feeds will backfire on them with advertisers who were paying for time based on the Dish eyeballs that now can't watch the games... so FOX will have a problem there too.

They're trying too hard to have an instant favorite channel that really no one demanded... and it's going to implode on them if they don't change directions.

I like sports, but the FOX OTA channel has better college football games on the schedule than does FS1 frankly!

#20 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Of course, FOX could play hardball and force DISH pull their games off of Fox OTA channels.

Actually they can't, there's a law against modifying the content of the OTA stations. It's an all or nothing deal they can't force providers out of specific network programming on OTA stations.

The small exception is cable providers carrying out of market stations where if the local station requests it, the cable provider has to black out syndicated and network programming on the out of market station, but in that case the blacked out programming is still available on the local station.

Edited by KyL416, 27 August 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,632 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

Also, even if they could do it with the LiLs, they could only do it with FOX-owned local stations... all the other LiLs are negotiated with those station owners, and not FOX.

At this point, FOX is basically just telling me (as a Dish customer) that I don't need to worry about watching FS1... so I won't start the habit of looking for it this season... and they'll lose me as a viewer going forward.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,909 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

No additions to the blackout list (yet) ... the first blackout is tomorrow night:
8/28/2014 10:00pm - Rutgers v. Washington St.
8/29/2014 9:00pm - Colorado St. v. Colorado
8/30/2014 12:00pm - North Dakota St. v. Iowa St.
8/31/2014 7:30pm - SMU v. Baylor

#23 OFFLINE   beacher69

beacher69

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Looks like its over

http://seattletimes....vdeal28xml.html

#24 OFFLINE   BobCulp

BobCulp

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

Your local Fox TV Channel should carry college football on Saturday primetime. 

James Long wrote, 149 "FTBLL" College Football slate giving channel numbers fro SEC-ESPN, Big Ten, ESPN Goal Line, PAC-12 and Longhorn (not a bad idea since they are all in the 400's+).

I noticed that 147 and 148 are gone as ESPN alternates. I think the ESPN Game Plan was discontinued, and Dish Networks multi-sports pack took over ?

149 now carries football schedule of the current day ,only for the ESPN fleet channels: LHN SEC ESPN 1 2 U CL.

I figured that Fox  Sports 1 and 2 are similar to NBC and CBS Sports Networks. All 3 networks should carry football. I know CBSSN does.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,909 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

DISH has updated their special http://dishsportsvalue.com/ website:

GREAT NEWS!
FOX SPORTS 1 EVENTS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON DISH.

DISH is now in a position to deliver the full programming lineup of FOX Sports 1, including the college football games kicking off on August 28.

FOX Sports 1 sporting events will be available to DISH customers with America's Top 200 and above, including the following games this week:
8/28/2014 10:00pm Rutgers Washington St.
8/29/2014 9:00pm Colorado St. Colorado
8/30/2014 12:00pm North Dakota St. Iowa St.
8/31/2014 7:30pm SMU Baylor

Protected By... spam firewall...And...