Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox Sports 1 - Live Event Dispute

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

Also, even if they could do it with the LiLs, they could only do it with FOX-owned local stations... all the other LiLs are negotiated with those station owners, and not FOX.

At this point, FOX is basically just telling me (as a Dish customer) that I don't need to worry about watching FS1... so I won't start the habit of looking for it this season... and they'll lose me as a viewer going forward.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

No additions to the blackout list (yet) ... the first blackout is tomorrow night:
8/28/2014 10:00pm - Rutgers v. Washington St.
8/29/2014 9:00pm - Colorado St. v. Colorado
8/30/2014 12:00pm - North Dakota St. v. Iowa St.
8/31/2014 7:30pm - SMU v. Baylor
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   beacher69

beacher69

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Looks like its over

http://seattletimes....vdeal28xml.html

#24 OFFLINE   BobCulp

BobCulp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

Your local Fox TV Channel should carry college football on Saturday primetime. 

James Long wrote, 149 "FTBLL" College Football slate giving channel numbers fro SEC-ESPN, Big Ten, ESPN Goal Line, PAC-12 and Longhorn (not a bad idea since they are all in the 400's+).

I noticed that 147 and 148 are gone as ESPN alternates. I think the ESPN Game Plan was discontinued, and Dish Networks multi-sports pack took over ?

149 now carries football schedule of the current day ,only for the ESPN fleet channels: LHN SEC ESPN 1 2 U CL.

I figured that Fox  Sports 1 and 2 are similar to NBC and CBS Sports Networks. All 3 networks should carry football. I know CBSSN does.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

DISH has updated their special http://dishsportsvalue.com/ website:

GREAT NEWS!
FOX SPORTS 1 EVENTS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON DISH.

DISH is now in a position to deliver the full programming lineup of FOX Sports 1, including the college football games kicking off on August 28.

FOX Sports 1 sporting events will be available to DISH customers with America's Top 200 and above, including the following games this week:
8/28/2014 10:00pm Rutgers Washington St.
8/29/2014 9:00pm Colorado St. Colorado
8/30/2014 12:00pm North Dakota St. Iowa St.
8/31/2014 7:30pm SMU Baylor
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

Your local Fox TV Channel should carry college football on Saturday primetime.

149 now carries football schedule of the current day ,only for the ESPN fleet channels: LHN SEC ESPN 1 2 U CL.

I figured that Fox Sports 1 and 2 are similar to NBC and CBS Sports Networks. All 3 networks should carry football. I know CBSSN does.

Now that today is the 28th there are more games on the channel 149 scroll ... not just ESPN channels but FS RSN channels BTN and CBSSN (there are some channel number issues with SEC listings). The FS1 game needs to be added to the list.

Fox is using all three of its national feeds for sports ... Fox broadcast, Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. That order matches the level of distribution - Fox Broadcast has the most potential viewers but also has to carry regular programming. Fresno State at USC is on my local affiliate this Saturday, while FS1 airs Ultimate Fighting and FS2 airs Skateboarding. Thursday's FS1 Rutgers/Washington game replays on FS2 at 6am Friday. Friday's FS1 Colorado St/Colorado game replays on FS2 at 6am Saturday.

BTW: Channel 403 ESPN Goal Line is in free preview for this weekend.

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

That just makes sense... FOX wasn't in a good bargaining position here, and those weren't barn-burner games to be threatening to hold out.  I grant you, if you're a fan of those teams you would want to see those games... but even then you're not talking exactly marquee matchups... I mean, it wasn't Michigan vs Ohio St or Auburn vs Alabama or anything like that being held in limbo.

I don't know how it resolved, but I have to think FOX caved more than Dish did.

Ultimately I still expect we one day see FS2 in HD come aboard whenever they have to properly negotiate a longer carriage deal... but that one might be a little nasty as it likely will be timed to coincide with other FOX channels that might give them more leverage in that negotiation.

#28 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

you guys know we are suppose to get pac12 in hd according to the free preview channel they have not turned it on yet.

Thanks

Allen bluegras

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

FYI: Fox Sports 2 in HD uplinked - NOT available. It looks like DISH's agreement was more than just the ability to carry the game Fox was planning on blacking out.

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:10 PM

That's what I was thinking once I saw the uplink report today...

I wonder... if they might also relocate FS2 to somewhere closer to where FS1 is.  I know there isn't an open space right next to it... but maybe they can juggle some things around by the time they launch FS2 in HD?

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:03 AM

If I were DISH I'd move the channel 151 College Sports Multi-View and 152 Game Finder App channels to channels 147 and 148 (where the ESPN Alt channels were recently made unavailable). Then use 151 for Fox Sports 2 and let 152 be MLBTV instead of sharing the channel number with the Game Finder app link.

It never made sense to me that Game Finder was placed on 152. But it does show that entirely different content can be placed on the same channel number. (DISH also placed apps on channel numbers for the World Cup.) Putting Game Finder on 149 with the scrolling list of college sports games would also work.

Since Fox Sports 2 launched every time I saw DISH put something else on 151 I wondered how long it would last. Most of the content has been temporary but the College Sports Multi-View seems to be a more permanent addition. The current test channel for FS2 (9613) does not have a mapdown ... so no hints from DISH in the uplink data.

#32 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, that's what prompted my thought... all the stuff they have been doing to use (even temporarily) those spots combined with no map-down in the uplink report.. Assuming this was part of a new agreement, I would think they would want to get this channel up as soon as they test the feed... and it would be really weird to leave it up there at 397 (I think it's 397) where I quite frankly forget it even exists.

#33 ONLINE   zippyfrog

zippyfrog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

FYI: Fox Sports 2 in HD uplinked - NOT available. It looks like DISH's agreement was more than just the ability to carry the game Fox was planning on blacking out.

In terms of Western Arc, was Fox Sports 2 uplinked as a 10th HD channel on a transponder, or has Dish found some more space for HD channels?  I thought 9 was the most HD channels for a transponder, but it seems like more have been getting 10.

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:06 AM

In terms of Western Arc, was Fox Sports 2 uplinked as a 10th HD channel on a transponder, or has Dish found some more space for HD channels?  I thought 9 was the most HD channels for a transponder, but it seems like more have been getting 10.

FS2 is the ninth HD on 72.7° TP 24 and the tenth on 129° TP 19.
At last count (July 31st) there were three transponders with ten HDs on Western Arc, twelve with nine HDs.
(SEC-ESPN was uplinked July 30th and is included on one of the ten HD Western Arc transponders.)
(The channel 151 mosaic is the ninth HD channel on its Western Arc transponder.)

#35 ONLINE   zippyfrog

zippyfrog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

FS2 is the ninth HD on 72.7° TP 24 and the tenth on 129° TP 19.
At last count (July 31st) there were three transponders with ten HDs on Western Arc, twelve with nine HDs.
(SEC-ESPN was uplinked July 30th and is included on one of the ten HD Western Arc transponders.)
(The channel 151 mosaic is the ninth HD channel on its Western Arc transponder.)

Has Dish done some changes with how they are compressing channels?  I thought that the max was 8 HD channels per transponder, but now to see almost 9 and a couple transponders with 10, as I flip through channels I can't tell which ones are on transponders with 8 channels vs the ones with 10.  I would think the ones with 10 HD channels would have noticeably more pixelation.

#36 OFFLINE   BobCulp

BobCulp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

I just heard that Fox Sports one will be the new home this October for Major League Baseball's Playoffs and AL-NL championship series. Not sure how they will schedule 4 playoff games? 2 games a day would extend world series to November. 

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

Has Dish done some changes with how they are compressing channels?  I thought that the max was 8 HD channels per transponder, but now to see almost 9 and a couple transponders with 10, as I flip through channels I can't tell which ones are on transponders with 8 channels vs the ones with 10.  I would think the ones with 10 HD channels would have noticeably more pixelation.

Improvements in compression and encoders can help avoid problems with limited bandwidth. I try to stay away from the how many is too many argument ... after all, we started with two HDs per transponder in MPEG2. And MPEG2 SD is still limited to 13 or so channels per transponders (I have not audited every MPEG2 transponder to see if there are 14 SD transponders).

I do not *see* a difference in the signal - and I suppose that is what matters when it comes to most viewers. As long as they can not *see* a difference DISH can add more channels.

#38 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

I just heard that Fox Sports one will be the new home this October for Major League Baseball's Playoffs and AL-NL championship series. Not sure how they will schedule 4 playoff games? 2 games a day would extend world series to November.

They may rely on FX, FXX and the Fox Broadcast network - along with FS1 and FS2 - if they need multiple feeds on "cable". I seem to remember having two FX feeds in the past when Fox had one game on Fox Broadcast and the other game on FX (similar to the ESPN alternates). But that was when they had two simultaneous games.

#39 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

In the post-season, TBS and ESPN will air two Wild Card Games. TBS and Fox Sports will air the Division Series, while TBS will air the American League Championship Series. Fox Sports will air the All-Star Game, National League Championship Series, and World Series.

MLB NETWORK:

Rights to 2 League Division Series games (sublicensed from Fox Sports 1).

#40 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

FYI: FS2 is now in HD ... still channel 397.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...