Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VoIP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Neutron

Neutron

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 10:24 PM

What do yall think of VoIP and if you have it which company did you choose?

I have been looking between Vonage and Packet8.net. Unfortunately I have yet to find a VoIP company that has my exchange or a city listed withen 30 miles of me (not counting Louisville, KY since I live in Southern Indiana) that has an exchange I can use for local calls.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:48 AM

What do yall think of VoIP and if you have it which company did you choose?

I have been looking between Vonage and Packet8.net. Unfortunately I have yet to find a VoIP company that has my exchange or a city listed withen 30 miles of me (not counting Louisville, KY since I live in Southern Indiana) that has an exchange I can use for local calls.

I know of several large corporations that have completely switched all of their voice communication to VoIP. Also, all of the "call center" and "help desk" centers in India depend upon VoIP, you dial the toll-free number, it gets connected to a VoIP switch here in the US and the call is then routed to the call center in India where Hajib, using the alias "Barney", helps you with your problem or assists with your credit card transactions, etc.

The technology is pretty well debugged by now, so home use of VoIP should face little obstacles, at least technically.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:12 PM

I had Vonage, it worked well, however my problem was when I wanted to use my phone I was also busy transfering files with my computer, and because of my ISP I didn't have the bandwidth to make a phone call (I could hear people fine, they could not hear me)

I just canceled Vonage as SBC just started offering unlimited calling with all the works features for $50 a month. Vonage wacked me $80 to cancel the service. (I didnt know there was a cancelation fee)

For most people VONAGE would be great, but because I use the net so much it didn't work out for me as I would have liked.

#4 OFFLINE   nicepants

nicepants

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 01:57 AM

I have vonage...at least for the next 12 days or so. (14 day free trial) I like it but I'm going to switch to Packet8. [Vonage doesn't have my area code] It works great but you should set up a router between your computer(s) and the internet. If you set it up right it'll make sure that your calls work fine whether you're uploading or downloading a lot or not.

#5 OFFLINE   JAWheat411

JAWheat411

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:28 PM

Sorry to chime in a little later here. I was searching for a solution to using the DirecTV plugged into a VOIP line.
Anyway, I have had Packet8 for about a half a month now. I have made over 340 calls to a total of a little over 1400 minutes. I have found the service to be excellent. I had researched Vonage for a long time. But was never able to get it because they didn't have my area code, and only 1 in the state period. Then I heard about Packet8. I ordered the box, got it in like a week (they have to program the box then ship it). Had it setup in as little as 15 minutes.
There are times when you don't get incoming calls.....this usually only happens when there is some network problems or suchs. All of which are resolved fairly quickly. And usually if you upgrade DTA box to the newest firmware on their site you are good to go.
The main adavantages after having Packet8 for a while are these:
Less to startup than other companies (with codes you can even save $20)
Uses far less bandwith than other services such as Vonage.
Tons of more area codes..
Cheaper per month (Packet8 $20 vs Vonage $35)
Hope this helps

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:20 AM

I amy look into Packet8 thanks. I thought about Vonage for my second line. But it wound up being the same price as using Verizon.

I am leery of the "Unlimited servie" packages. I have heard too amny horror stories about bills that exceed the stated monthly price because tehre really are hidden limits.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#7 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:40 AM

I would get Vonage to replace my regular phone, but they don't offer my area code yet. I have been waiting for vonage since they came out.

#8 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:13 PM

Can wither packet8 or Vonage run all the phones on my line (3). It looks like you plug eash phone directly into their adapter. That wont work so well for me.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

spam firewall