Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Smart Search Results

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Does anyone know how to have Smart Search return results without On Demand or PPV shows? Results of searches always show PPV first. Is there a way to change the order of the search results? I tried changing different parental controls but it didn't make any difference.

(1) HR44/500

(1) HR24/500

(1) HR22/100

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

Have you tried using Boolean terms.  Worth a try

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

Link to advanced search help.

http://hr20.dbstalk.... Search FAQ.pdf

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

They should be isolated in a folder so you only see one line of on demand now when ou do a search though.  What receiver and what software do you have on it?

#5 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

Link to advanced search help.

http://hr20.dbstalk.... Search FAQ.pdf

Thanks for the link! I was aware of using Boolean terms but didn't know how.

They should be isolated in a folder so you only see one line of on demand now when ou do a search though.  What receiver and what software do you have on it?

HR44/500, 0x8c2. With some searches I end up with pages and pages of PPV before seeing non-PPV shows.

(1) HR44/500

(1) HR24/500

(1) HR22/100

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hhhmm, weird, what search are you trying?  You should not be getting that...

You might try doing a search for CLEARMYBOX (don't be recording or getting ready to watch something, it restarts the machine) and letting it completely reload all guide data and such over 24 hours and then see if it fixes this...

And the advanced search options are awesome...  ;)

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for the link! I was aware of using Boolean terms but didn't know how.

HR44/500, 0x8c2. With some searches I end up with pages and pages of PPV before seeing non-PPV shows.

After looking over what I linked, it appears that if you add "NNOT PPV" after your actual search term that it will leave out all PPV.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

After looking over what I linked, it appears that if you add "NNOT PPV" after your actual search term that it will leave out all PPV.

That worked great! Thanks!!! How can I have the search return shows that are not in Spanish? I tried "NNOT SPANISH" and that didn't work.

(1) HR44/500

(1) HR24/500

(1) HR22/100

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

That worked great! Thanks!!! How can I have the search return shows that are not in Spanish? I tried "NNOT SPANISH" and that didn't work.

Now you are stretching it…. :rotfl:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

I'd be happy if they just stopped nagging me about internet DOD searches whenever I go to the search page. I declined it once, which should be enough. Now I've declined it a couple dozen times. I don't want to search for DOD shows, thankyouverymuch. Accept that fact of life and leave me be.

While I am ranting, why has this "no-brainer" idea not been implemented: Allow searching the play list.

I mean, really...what is the problem? That would be a lot simpler than trying to navigate through 400 hours of recordings to find that last Louie episode from July. It's more like "play lost".

User ergonomics just has never been their strong suit. I guess Steve Jobs died in vain. What is already on the play list should appear even if I search for shows or actors. If I am looking for shows with Aya Cash in them, why not remind me of shows I may have already recorded that she is part of the cast of?

At a bare minimum, there should be a series of check boxes to allow searching:  A.) the guide, B.) the play list, C.) Both. Default that to "A" on reboot if you want to keep from confusing the pointed little heads of the technically challenged. Then everyone should be happy, including me.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

I'd be happy if they just stopped nagging me about internet DOD searches whenever I go to the search page. I declined it once, which should be enough. Now I've declined it a couple dozen times. I don't want to search for DOD shows, thankyouverymuch. Accept that fact of life and leave me be.

While I am ranting, why has this "no-brainer" idea not been implemented: Allow searching the play list.

I mean, really...what is the problem? That would be a lot simpler than trying to navigate through 400 hours of recordings to find that last Louie episode from July. It's more like "play lost".

User ergonomics just has never been their strong suit. I guess Steve Jobs died in vain. What is already on the play list should appear even if I search for shows or actors. If I am looking for shows with Aya Cash in them, why not remind me of shows I may have already recorded that she is part of the cast of?

At a bare minimum, there should be a series of check boxes to allow searching: A.) the guide, B.) the play list, C.) Both. Default that to "A" on reboot if you want to keep from confusing the pointed little heads of the technically challenged. Then everyone should be happy, including me.

Where are you talking about nagging you about dod searches and you declined?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

I have a related question:

I really like the parental age suggestions given in most show descriptions in the DirecTv guide.

Is there any way to search for a specific group of shows/movies?

For example, I'm looking for a new show for my 4 1/2 year old to watch and would like to find suggestions in the guide, like all shows tagged as "OK for kids 4+".

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-09-26 002.jpg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...