Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will installer attach dish heater?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Coming back and getting D* installed tomorrow with a new dish, on which I'd like to attach an adhesive dish heater. Just sticks to the back of the dish and has an electrical cord that will cascade down the side of the house with the coax - hopefully. Since it'll be on the roof (three story house) I'm hoping the installer will also install the heater if I ask. And yes, I will reward him for his time and effort. :) This is mainly for the installers out there, is it something that customers have requested of you and is it OK? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

Yes it should be fine -No worries  :righton:

• sangs likes this
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Just make sure you tell him before he's hauled the new dish up to the roof, because it'll be a lot easier to stick it on beforehand :)

• sangs likes this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Just make sure you tell him before he's hauled the new dish up to the roof, because it'll be a lot easier to stick it on beforehand :)

Oh definitely, don't worry about that. Thanks a lot guys.

#5 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

As you both said, it was no problem at all. Very pleased since snow issues were a big reason I left DirecTV in the first place.

#6 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

As you both said, it was no problem at all. Very pleased since snow issues were a big reason I left DirecTV in the first place.

Curious where you live that snow on your dish was a big enough problem to leave Directv?

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

Curious where you live that snow on your dish was a big enough problem to leave Directv?

Me too!  last snow storm I got, covered everything BUT my dish.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0294.jpg

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

That same storm required me to use a super soaker to get the snow off of my dish.

#9 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:29 AM

NE New Jersey. Back in the days of the round dish, snow was never a problem. But for whatever reason, the advent of HD and the Slimline caused issues. Snow accumulated on the dish as if it were lying flat on the ground. We tend to get a heavy, wet snow in my area and with the dish being on the third story - and a very steep part of the roof - I'd have to wait for it to thaw. (No Super Soaker would reach. :) ) Hoping the heater prevents that this year. (EDIT: Though I have to say, this new dish looks different from the previous one. Appears to have less curve and installed with less of an incline.)

Btw, what a great install. Very pleased with the tech. Even gave me his personal number in case I have questions or issues. 

Edited by sangs, 27 August 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#10 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

It amazes me that your dish doesn't have a drop on it. We live in the same geographical area. I'm assuming that's from last winter? Our dish (we used FiOS for TV service this past horrendous winter) was covered for several days after those storms, especially since it remained so cold after each one. Years past, those storms would be followed by a relative warm-up and the snow would melt. I'm not taking any chances this time around.

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

I remember some discussion about the slight variants of the Slimline reflector, some have smooth edges and some have a bit of a "lip" around the edge. Could that have something to do with it? If you have heavy wet snow it will stick to almost anything, but I would think it would eventually slide off a dish from its own weight, due to the angle. Maybe the lip on the reflector is just enough to hold the snow in place.

I can't tell from the pic, does your dish have a lip, peds48?

#12 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

I remember some discussion about the slight variants of the Slimline reflector, some have smooth edges and some have a bit of a "lip" around the edge. Could that have something to do with it? If you have heavy wet snow it will stick to almost anything, but I would think it would eventually slide off a dish from its own weight, due to the angle. Maybe the lip on the reflector is just enough to hold the snow in place.

I don't know if I'd call it a lip exactly, but the old dish definitely had more of a, umm, bowl look to it than the one installed yesterday. In fact, he couldn't use the existing foot from the previous dish because it wasn't large enough to connect the arm. So something is definitely different this time around. Of course I'm nearly 100 percent certain that since I decided to purchase a dish heater that I'll never have a use for it - just like with the whole home generator we haven't needed since it was installed, following three years of wishing we'd had one. I live in NJ though, so I'm good with protection fees. :)

#13 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

I don't know if I'd call it a lip exactly, but the old dish definitely had more of a, umm, bowl look to it than the one installed yesterday. In fact, he couldn't use the existing foot from the previous dish because it wasn't large enough to connect the arm. So something is definitely different this time around. Of course I'm nearly 100 percent certain that since I decided to purchase a dish heater that I'll never have a use for it - just like with the whole home generator we haven't needed since it was installed, following three years of wishing we'd had one. I live in NJ though, so I'm good with protection fees. :)

Was your old dish a Slimline or an AT-9?

AT9:

dish_at9_big.jpg

Slimline:

DirecTV_5_LNB_Slimline_2012_06_08.jpg

#14 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Slimline.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

It amazes me that your dish doesn't have a drop on it. We live in the same geographical area. I'm assuming that's from last winter? Our dish (we used FiOS for TV service this past horrendous winter) was covered for several days after those storms, especially since it remained so cold after each one. Years past, those storms would be followed by a relative warm-up and the snow would melt. I'm not taking any chances this time around.

In the many years I have lived in this neighborhood, I have had to clean the snow from the dish just once.  

I attached a bester view of the dish 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0295.jpg

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

In the front or in the back?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

In the front or in the back?

The front. I don't think a back lip would matter since you don't care if snow builds up there :)

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

The front. I don't think a back lip would matter since you don't care if snow builds up there :)

Yes, mine has a raised edge on the front 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

No edges on the one I just had installed. Well, at least from what I can tell at ground level.

#20 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,746 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

I take it he installed the heater for you, did he have to run a separate coax for the power?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...