Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A few questions from a newbie

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mniven

mniven

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

My apologies if these are extremely common questions, but I did a quick search of the forum and didn't find any posts that directly applied.

I recently had Dish service started at my home and it's the first time I've ever had satellite service. Due to some line of sight issues (hill with large tract of woods directly behind my house), the tech had to point the dish at a satellite that does not offer the local channels/networks for my area. My family is a big consumer of content on the networks, so it's an unfortunate situation.

According to my discussions with Dish, ideally I would have been pointed at the orbital 129 satellite, but I had to be pointed at the 61.5W satellite.

I have tried the OTA route, but due to hills and trees around my home, I cannot receive a good signal.

My question is: Is there any hope that my situation will change in the future, such as Dish adding my local networks to a satellite I can access? Can I make a request of Dish that could ultimately lead them to do this? Or do I just have to get used to this situation? DirecTV doesn't have any access to local networks in my area, so that isn't an option, and I have no cable service where I am located.

End of my sob story. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   andreab@DISH Network

andreab@DISH Network

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 16 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

This is definetly something I can request but locals are designated to specific satellites so there are no guarantees but it never husrts to request something.  If there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know.

Andrea Burkhart

Social Media Team

DISH, L.L.C.

Friday-Monday 6;00am-5:00pm (MST)

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Without LOS, you're kinda outta luck.

Hopefully when they decide to give Charlottesville HD locals, they will come from the Eastern Arc.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

I have no idea if this is possible or not, but it might be something worth looking into.  I know that there are companies out there that offer FTA satellite dishes.  Skyvision is an online company that offers these, as an example.  If you got a motorized FTA satellite dish and found out if and where on the arc the wild feed network channels were at maybe you could get your network channels that way.  It would mean that you would have a two satellite system in your home, and like I said, I don't know if this would even work, but,  you may want to find an online dealer like Skyvision and give them a call to discuss your situation.  Maybe they can help.  Just a thought.

Edited by Spike, 27 August 2014 - 05:39 AM.

Holy Cow! The Cubs?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...