Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 - Lots of Issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BigCTM

BigCTM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

I have been a DirecTV customer for over 10 years and have been through many of the HD DVR Receivers and have never had as many issues and bugs as I have with the HR34-700.  The guide is slow.  It freezes all the time.  It freezes all the time when deleting programs.  We regularly lose programs in our Manage Recordings.  The program is there one day and gone the next.  We have programs recorded and then get deleted.  Programs that are scheduled to record just do not record.  Programs start recording then stop in the middle of the recording and start back later in the recording.  I could go on and on but it seems like it's something different every day. 

I have 1 client and also an HR24 that do not have these issues.  We probably have 60% free space with over 60 programs in our Manage Recordings.  I have tried multiple resets, clearmybox and system tests but the issues continue.

I am thinking about biting the bullet and ordering an HR44 since DirecTV refuses to do anything.  Has anyone upgraded from the HR34 to the HR44 over issues similar to this?  I am concerned that the issues will still be there with the HR44.  Thanks for any feedback.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

I didn't have these problems with my 34, and so "I'd guess" you may just have a bad DVR.

I wouldn't expect "a new" 34 to have these either so a 44 shouldn't.

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

I know my HR34 is frustrating and I feel your pain.  I suspect that over time they've upgraded the Genie firmware beyond the capacity of the older tech HR34.  You'll be happy with the newer tech HR44 and it's snappy operation. 

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

As stated by veryoldschool; it's your specific HR34 that is having these issues (not HR34 in general). I've had an HR34 since shortly after its release and do not have any of the issues you described.

Request a replacement DV to solve your issues.  If you have any trouble getting them to replace the 34, get a supervisor involved!

#5 OFFLINE   BigCTM

BigCTM

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

I have a replacement Genie coming, more than likely another HR34.  Hopefully this one will be better. 

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Have seen many customers with HR34 that DO NOT exhibit any of these problems.  I suspect you have a defective 34

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

Mine does the same with these newest software "upgrades". Directv office of the president states they are aware of the problems and the engineers will fix. :sigh: ya....

They offered a 1 time "courtesy" upgrade to an HR44 with a new 2 year contract for me. After I stopped laughing and realized they were serious I politely say thanks, but no thanks. I'm not starting a new 2 year contract because of a faulty device. If you speak to anyone in that office, avoid "chad".

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

They offered a 1 time "courtesy" upgrade to an HR44 with a new 2 year contract for me. After I stopped laughing and realized they were serious I politely say thanks, but no thanks. I'm not starting a new 2 year contract because of a faulty device. If you speak to anyone in that office, avoid "chad".

I would have taken the 44 over the 34, "but explained" it wouldn't come with the 2 year contract since it was fixing "their problem".

A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   BigCTM

BigCTM

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

I would have taken the 44 over the 34, "but explained" it wouldn't come with the 2 year contract since it was fixing "their problem".

They said the same thing to me today.  They said I could have the 44 but it would come with a new 2 year agreement.  I decided to try another 34 first and see what happens.  If it has the same issues, I am not sure what I will do next.  Signing another 2 year deal to fix their problem will not happen.  That's for sure.  Never tried Dish but I am sure it has issues too...The only other option around us besides "cutting the cord" is Comcrap and I am sure not switching to them.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

They said the same thing to me today.  They said I could have the 44 but it would come with a new 2 year agreement.  I decided to try another 34 first and see what happens.  If it has the same issues, I am not sure what I will do next.  Signing another 2 year deal to fix their problem will not happen.  That's for sure.  Never tried Dish but I am sure it has issues too...The only other option around us besides "cutting the cord" is Comcrap and I am sure not switching to them.

Shouldn't have "the same" issues and if it as "any issues" then I'd push for the 44 and not have the 2 year agreement.

There's no reason for you to take on the 2 year agreement for a defective leased receiver.

You'd just need "to explain it" and if they don't get it, move up "the food chain" until you get to someone that does.

A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

The first person I spoke to at the presidents office, "Chad" basically told me tough luck. It's a software problem, the engineers know about it and will fix it.

The second person I spoke to stated they would send an HR44 as a "courtesy" but would require a new 2 year contract. They also stated it was a software problem, and the engineers were fixing it.

I'm not sure who is "higher up" than speaking to people in the presidents' office. Basically this has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I realize Dish has problems as well, so the grass isn't always greener, but... sheeze...

Who would I speak to that is higher up? If those 2 people both have heard of this, both acknowledged the problem, both stated the engineers were fixing it... then obviously directv knows that the HR34 isn't working properly for some/many/??

;shrugs:

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

The first person I spoke to at the presidents office, "Chad" basically told me tough luck. It's a software problem, the engineers know about it and will fix it.

The second person I spoke to stated they would send an HR44 as a "courtesy" but would require a new 2 year contract. They also stated it was a software problem, and the engineers were fixing it.

I'm not sure who is "higher up" than speaking to people in the presidents' office. Basically this has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I realize Dish has problems as well, so the grass isn't always greener, but... sheeze...

Who would I speak to that is higher up? If those 2 people both have heard of this, both acknowledged the problem, both stated the engineers were fixing it... then obviously directv knows that the HR34 isn't working properly for some/many/??

:shrug:

It's been a while since I've had to deal with people in "the president's office", but when I did and they weren't "seeing things the same" as I was, I used some diplomacy, put forth my case and had them take it to their supervisor. "I believe" mine went to the VP of customer service and got her attention.

I understand your frustration and it does take "some skill" to get through to them sometimes.

If you've done nothing wrong, paid your bill on time, why should you suffer with a product/service that isn't working properly?

If they have a hardware/software problem, it's their problem to resolve. If they choose to replace the receiver as a solution, fine, but if it's a "Genie for Genie", it isn't an upgrade or additional receiver, so there is no reason for the 2 year contract.

• jimmie57 likes this
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

It's been a while since I've had to deal with people in "the president's office", but when I did and they weren't "seeing things the same" as I was, I used some diplomacy, put forth my case and had them take it to their supervisor. "I believe" mine went to the VP of customer service and got her attention.

I understand your frustration and it does take "some skill" to get through to them sometimes.

If you've done nothing wrong, paid your bill on time, why should you suffer with a product/service that isn't working properly?

If they have a hardware/software problem, it's their problem to resolve. If they choose to replace the receiver as a solution, fine, but if it's a "Genie for Genie", it isn't an upgrade or additional receiver, so there is no reason for the 2 year contract.

As usual, I agree with you 100% Vos. Unfortunately, directv seems to be taking a hard line stance on this subject. I've a feeling (just IMO) that they're getting more complaints, and this is more of a widespread problem, than some think.

They obviously seem to not care whether I, and others, are having problems or not. I've only dealt with the "office" one time before, and they bent over backwards to ensure I remained a happy customer. Now? The complete opposite.

It really has gotten to the point that I wouldn't recommend going to to directv, unless you get an HR44. Otherwise, stay with dish, or another service provider.

Considering I don't know anyone else whom to speak to.. :shrugs: I really am hoping they come out with a new box this year, or beginning of next year, with more tuners, 4k, et al.. :) If it wasn't for the other half, I would have switched to Dish already. She doesn't like change at all. lol :)

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

As usual, I agree with you 100% Vos. Unfortunately, directv seems to be taking a hard line stance on this subject. I've a feeling (just IMO) that they're getting more complaints, and this is more of a widespread problem, than some think.

They obviously seem to not care whether I, and others, are having problems or not. I've only dealt with the "office" one time before, and they bent over backwards to ensure I remained a happy customer. Now? The complete opposite.

It really has gotten to the point that I wouldn't recommend going to to directv, unless you get an HR44. Otherwise, stay with dish, or another service provider.

Considering I don't know anyone else whom to speak to.. :shrugs: I really am hoping they come out with a new box this year, or beginning of next year, with more tuners, 4k, et al.. :) If it wasn't for the other half, I would have switched to Dish already. She doesn't like change at all. lol :)

"So" [plan B] convince them you need a service call and get the tech to swap you to a 44. :dance:

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...