Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Very Strong Signal - Very Poor Picture Quality

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crashmaster

crashmaster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts
  • LocationTexas Hill Country

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

The most bizarre problem that I have ever encountered with television reception EVER!

I have a 2 year old DTV account.  My equipment is:

1 Model HR34-700 Genie

1 Model HR24-200

1 Model HR24-100

I have a Sony Blu-Ray player attached to the HR24-200

I have a 2 year old fairly expensive Panasonic 55” plasma, a high end Samsung 40” LED that is about 3 ½ years old, and very nice Samsung 32” LCD, which is now about 6 years old. All of these sets had impeccable picture, and especially the plasma. The plasma set’s picture was beyond impeccable. The LED picture was superior. The LCD picture was very good.  All are on fairly expensive surge protectors.

I live in a rural area.  There are zero obstructions that would cause poor reception or signal.  No trees or buildings blocking the dish.

Tuesday AM - August 11, 2014 

The color and depth perception in all three TV's in home became distorted “at the same time”

Over the course of several hours I attempted to adjust the color and depth perception on all of the sets, but even those changes where not producing the quality of picture that were previously common. 

I assume that for all 3 sets to have significant color and quality picture problems - at the same time - there was some transmission equipment or cable connection failure. 

I called DirecTV customer service. 

After spending a lengthy amount of time on the phone with DirecTV going over settings on each of the three televisions sand receivers. I didn’t make any meaningful changes to the settings to any TV or receiver. Nor did any of the minor changes make any impact on the quality of the picture. 

Following the call, I again attempted to restore color settings to all three sets. I still wasn’t able to get the color and picture quality as they had originally always been, but was able to make the pictures substantially better.

Hours later:

All three television set’s pictures once again reverted back to dull, non-consistent colors, which changed from channel to channel. There was a total loss of depth perception. No adjustments could maintain a sustainable picture quality. 

Ultimately, the picture qualities on High Definition Channels were worse than Standard Definition Channels.

Wednesday AM – August 12, 2014

I contacted DirecTV again. We discussed all of the diagnostics done the previous day and it was decided a home call by a technician was necessary. 

Friday Noon - August 15, 2014. 

The first test the tech conducted was to check signal strength displayed on the main receiver. Each transponder signal was degraded. The various transponder strengths ranged from low 70’s to mid 80’s. But oddly - the signal levels were actively fluctuating as we watched the TV screen. Across each of the 5 or so rows of numbers, they would randomly and continuously rise and fall.

The tech appeared to be very knowledgeable. He worked methodically was very thorough. He inspected and tested the dish aim, examined all cable connectors. He closely examined the connectors at the power splitter.

The tech changed the SWM power adapter, the LNB on the dish, and changed out all couplings and connectors on all outdoor wiring with "weather proof connectors". The tech did other types of update service to equipment. 

After the tech did the service work – the signal test strengths ranged between 98 and 100 signal strength across all 32 transponders.

HOWEVER, picture quality was still not the same fantastic depth perception with the original rich, balanced color.

The tech said that he was only responsible for ensuring signal strength was at a given range. But he went beyond the call of duty to try to restore picture quality to their original state. 

Despite everything the tech did improve the color - but even he could see that nothing he was doing would sustain color adjustment. 

I tried adjusting color on all TV's once again. I was able to get close to where the pictures were. BUT I wake up on Saturday - and all color calibrations had again failed. 

I've sense used "Spears and Munsil" calibrating disc several times and nothing works

I can't even fathom how such a problem is possible.

I don't have a clue. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

Godfather

• Registered
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Signal strength will have zero affect on picture quality, its a digital transmission. A person with 78% signal strength will get same pic quality as a person with 99%. Just the 78% will go out in very light weather where the 99% won't.

Sounds like a HDMI or setting issue, I would try a higher quality HDMI cable, also make sure all your receivers. aren't outputing 480i/480p on HD channels.

My Setup: 5-LNB Dish | SWM-16 | HR44-700 | HR24-200 | HR24-500 | Two HR22-100's

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

For something to happen to 3 TVs at the same time I would not be looking at the adjustments on the TV.

The same would be said for the HDMI cables unless you had some lightning near by that might have damaged them.

From what you have listed, you have 9 tuners. Do you know if you have a SWM 16 ? Anything less would only handle 8 tuners.

Are you feeding the HDMI directly to the TV from the receiver ?

Have you tried playing a DVD or Blu Ray to the TV ?

You say you have a Blu Ray hooked to the HR24-200. How did you do this ?

Edited by jimmie57, 27 August 2014 - 01:48 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

A thought occurred to me that something in the neighborhood created a strong and hopefully temporary interference. Yet I can't figure out what that could be, and it'd be more likely to cause artifacting rather than color aberrations.

I'd also not mess with the settings on the TV, once I had them right. Interested in how the BRDs look. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

Godfather

• Registered
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

The same would be said for the HDMI cables unless you had some lightning near by that might have damaged them.

Interference from some source could cause issues, my microwave causes interference(sparkles) on my ps3 if using cheap hdmi cable, but with microwave off cheap hdmi is just as good.

From what you have listed, you have 9 tuners. Do you know if you have a SWM 16 ? Anything less would only handle 8 tuners.

Even if was an issue wouldn't cause PQ issues....

Everything else in your post I agree he should check.

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Thoughts and questions

How's the Blu Ray picture?

Can you try a regular TV antenna, scan for channels and see if you get a local channel in HD and how does that compare?

Shouldn't a noticeable difference (none I can see at my house)  to the SAT signal on that channel.

Your A/C power is a common denominator on all TV's.

Maybe it's not clean anymore and the TV's processing is what is affected.

#7 OFFLINE   crashmaster

crashmaster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

For something to happen to 3 TVs at the same time I would not be looking at the adjustments on the TV.

Are you feeding the HDMI directly to the TV from the receiver ?

Have you tried playing a DVD or Blu Ray to the TV ?

You say you have a Blu Ray hooked to the HR24-200. How did you do this ?

Yes, I have a SWM 16.  Every set has HDMI directly from the receiver to the TV.

Yes, I have played the Blu Ray on the Plasma and the LED.  And both are connected via HDMI.    Both sets have better picture performance via the blu ray, however, they aren't playing as they did before....whatever happened.  And that can be because of my attempting to recal the pictures - as I'm a novice at it.

I've made sure that all receivers are set on 1080i.  The Plasma and LED are 1080p capable.  The LCD is not. It is 1080i capable.

#8 OFFLINE   crashmaster

crashmaster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

Thoughts and questions

How's the Blu Ray picture?

Can you try a regular TV antenna, scan for channels and see if you get a local channel in HD and how does that compare?

Shouldn't a noticeable difference (none I can see at my house)  to the SAT signal on that channel.

Your A/C power is a common denominator on all TV's.

Maybe it's not clean anymore and the TV's processing is what is affected.

I live in an area where power shuts down frequently. It has for the 25 years that I've lived here. They are more like sudden cut offs and in 10 to 20 seconds it comes back on.

And just an hour before my TVs when on the blink there was a brief power drop.  

It just seems almost an impossible - freakish event took place.  So????  Dunno.  

#9 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

Godfather

• Registered
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

Blu-ray should be slightly better which you stated is, but not like before. Sounds like an interference issue of some sort, I would try some higher quality HDMI cables. I highly recommend these from amazon as they are cheap and high quality.

http://www.amazon.co...1TDNAE8WHN1GNAF

But like some other poster posted it maybe an unclean power issue.... you don't have a pool pump running or anything like that do you....

It doesn't sound like a directv issue though.....

Edited by mexican-bum, 27 August 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

Yes, I have a SWM 16.  Every set has HDMI directly from the receiver to the TV.

Yes, I have played the Blu Ray on the Plasma and the LED.  And both are connected via HDMI.    Both sets have better picture performance via the blu ray, however, they aren't playing as they did before....whatever happened.  And that can be because of my attempting to recal the pictures - as I'm a novice at it.

I've made sure that all receivers are set on 1080i.  The Plasma and LED are 1080p capable.  The LCD is not. It is 1080i capable.

With the Blu Ray also having problems, that pretty much rules out the signal and cabling on the DTV system. As mentioned by others already the common thing to each is the 120 volt power and of course the HDMI cables.

Check the ground connections outside your house. If you got a strike close by it could have burned one of the connections.

I would also buy a new HDMI and try that.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#11 OFFLINE   crashmaster

crashmaster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

Signal strength will have zero affect on picture quality, its a digital transmission. A person with 78% signal strength will get same pic quality as a person with 99%. Just the 78% will go out in very light weather where the 99% won't.

Sounds like a HDMI or setting issue, I would try a higher quality HDMI cable, also make sure all your receivers. aren't outputing 480i/480p on HD channels.

As I just stated in another reply.  I do have HDMI cables and they are high quality cables.  I didn't use the HDMI cables that came with the receivers as I don't trust them to deliver the HD ratings that I prefer.

I'm in a valley and there's no microwave towers that close.  In fact, we can't get cell phone signals.  

Our microwave in our home - well, it's possible that it's leaking.  But I've never had issues before.

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

As I just stated in another reply.  I do have HDMI cables and they are high quality cables.  I didn't use the HDMI cables that came with the receivers as I don't trust them to deliver the HD ratings that I prefer.

I'm in a valley and there's no microwave towers that close.  In fact, we can't get cell phone signals.  

Our microwave in our home - well, it's possible that it's leaking.  But I've never had issues before.

Try one of the original HDMI cables. It will only take a few minutes and no expense.

You might also try using a different HDMI connection on the TV if you have an open one.

#13 OFFLINE   crashmaster

crashmaster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

With the Blu Ray also having problems, that pretty much rules out the signal and cabling on the DTV system. As mentioned by others already the common thing to each is the 120 volt power and of course the HDMI cables.

Check the ground connections outside your house. If you got a strike close by it could have burned one of the connections.

I would also buy a new HDMI and try that.

A friend in Austin is going to bring a 32 " LCD (1080p capable) this weekend.  We'll hook it up and see what happens.  

It's just too weird.

Well, as I said about the quality of the Blu Ray pictures - they are better than my TVs, but I have recal'd the color a half dozen times - just out of frustration, so the picture quality could be my fault and not the TVs.  

Of course in hind-sight - I shouldn't have messed with the color adjustments as much as I did.

I'm what they call an OCD viewer.     Totally obsessive Compulsive.    :grin:

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

A friend in Austin is going to bring a 32 " LCD (1080p capable) this weekend.  We'll hook it up and see what happens.  

It's just too weird.

Well, as I said about the quality of the Blu Ray pictures - they are better than my TVs, but I have recal'd the color a half dozen times - just out of frustration, so the picture quality could be my fault and not the TVs.  

Of course in hind-sight - I shouldn't have messed with the color adjustments as much as I did.

I'm what they call an OCD viewer.     Totally obsessive Compulsive.    :grin:

Check in setup of your TV, most of them have a "reset" that you can choose onscreen and it puts it back to all factory settings.

I can relate to that statement. LOL since I do that too.

Edited by jimmie57, 27 August 2014 - 02:49 PM.

• crashmaster likes this

#15 OFFLINE   crashmaster

crashmaster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Try one of the original HDMI cables. It will only take a few minutes and no expense.

You might also try using a different HDMI connection on the TV if you have an open one.

I don't think I still have the factory HDMI cables.  The cables I got were high speed, but I don't remember the exact rating.  They were expensive....well, in comparison to a lot of other cables.

Now I did try changing the HDMI ports.  No change.  

#16 OFFLINE   crashmaster

crashmaster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Check in setup of your TV, most of them have a "reset" that you can choose onscreen and it puts it back to all factory settings.

Yeah...well, that's exactly what I did.  I reset all of the preset picture settings like Dynamic, Movie, THX Cinema, etc, etc,  and even "Custom", which is what I've always used.

But I wished I knew how to access the "SERVICE" menus via the remote, which most TV technicians know how to do.  I tried some suggestions on Youtube, but they didn't work with my sets.

#17 OFFLINE   crashmaster

crashmaster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

By the way...I have Monster HDMI cables.   Mine aren't the most expensive they make, but were about 40.00 a pop.

#18 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

Godfather

• Registered
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

Sounds like you need to check your power for interference next.

#19 OFFLINE   crashmaster

crashmaster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Not sure what ya mean.  Are you referring to voltage output or amps....or ??  There's no major power lines anywhere near my home.  I'm in the country...about 10 miles to the nearest town.

#20 OFFLINE   crashmaster

crashmaster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

I don't know how a power surge could have been so strong that it fried my TVs and not have fried my surge protectors..

But something is fried somewhere.  

Protected By... spam firewall...And...