Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Redzone w/o Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgags6

jgags6

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Has anyone been able to get Redzone without Sunday Ticket this year?  I know in the past people have been able to get it, but so far I have had no luck.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Montel

Montel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

I got it a few weeks ago - I asked for it, said I wasn't interested in Sunday Ticket at all.

#3 OFFLINE   Spoonman27

Spoonman27

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

Has anyone been able to get Redzone without Sunday Ticket this year?  I know in the past people have been able to get it, but so far I have had no luck.

I called Monday.  I said I had received Redzone for free the last two or three years.  They offered it to me again and I took it. 

#4 OFFLINE   Tarheel115

Tarheel115

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Yes..Retention dept may help..It all depends on who you get and account history etc..

#5 OFFLINE   Microphone

Microphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

2, 3 & 4 above all correct.  I've been with D* for 20 years.  I had to go from a regular CSR to a retention type of person (that they directed, I did not ask)...next up in the chain.  They didn't hesistate to give it to me at all .

For those that might have a problem, the old adage seen here a lot holds true:  You get more with honey......be decent and the grey area decision they might have will go your way.

Edited by Microphone, 29 August 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

Has anyone been able to get Redzone without Sunday Ticket this year? I know in the past people have been able to get it, but so far I have had no luck.

Has your base package changed? I'm having the same issue, been getting RZ for free for years, but no luck this time. My guess is it's because I downgraded to the Select package this summer, and had Choice Extra every other year.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

I had Redzone channel 2010 and 2011, but the last two year could not get Directv to give it to me, called over and over and they said no.

Well called today and ask and the one of the best reps ive ever talked to said just for you we have RZC for you for free.  She then said how about free HD service for a year.

So got RedZone free and $120 worth of HD service. I already was given a $15 a month credit for 6 months back in July.

#8 OFFLINE   forecheck

forecheck

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

I have had it free the last 3 years, and this year when I called retention the rep couldn't find it on his promotion screen, but did go to a supervisor and got it added that way.  He said I couldn't get it free 2 years in a row, which other posts here indicate that isn't true, so not sure what was the issue.

#9 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

Got my yearly add on...also got $20 off per month for a year....can't wait for the season to start now!! :)

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#10 OFFLINE   dgparent

dgparent

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

I got it for a couple of years free then last year they said nope, can't separate it from ST.  So they gave me the ST Max pacakge free. This year the guy gave it to me free right away, however this happened once before and when it was 1 PM on Sunday nothing came in, I called they just gave me the whole MAX free again.

#11 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

I got it a few weeks ago - I asked for it, said I wasn't interested in Sunday Ticket at all.

Same here; I was contemplating calling back to see if I could get the full monty, but I'm pretty satisfied with Red Zone only.

Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#12 OFFLINE   IMFletcher2

IMFletcher2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:26 PM

I struck out today. Called to cancel my renewal of ST Max, and explained that it's more than I can afford if I don't want the wife to kill me. Pointed out that all I really use from the ST package is RedZone, but it was a no-go. I had odd connection issues, and actually had someone call me after I hung up from the first guy in retention. Tried the same basic lines I have used in the past. Last year, instead of RedZone, I ended up with ST Max, but they eventually knocked the price down to about $125 and gave me $120 in credits so it was more or less free. Best I could get offered today was $5 off my bill for 6 months. That would still leave ST at 49.99 a month for 6 months. Too steep just to get RedZone, for me. Have been with DirecTV since 2010. I am not on the lowest tier - 3 HD DVR's and also subscribe to HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax. I almost always get offered something better than $5 off for 6 months. 

Any advice on whether it's worth calling again?

#13 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

I struck out today. Called to cancel my renewal of ST Max, and explained that it's more than I can afford if I don't want the wife to kill me. Pointed out that all I really use from the ST package is RedZone, but it was a no-go. I had odd connection issues, and actually had someone call me after I hung up from the first guy in retention. Tried the same basic lines I have used in the past. Last year, instead of RedZone, I ended up with ST Max, but they eventually knocked the price down to about $125 and gave me $120 in credits so it was more or less free. Best I could get offered today was $5 off my bill for 6 months. That would still leave ST at 49.99 a month for 6 months. Too steep just to get RedZone, for me. Have been with DirecTV since 2010. I am not on the lowest tier - 3 HD DVR's and also subscribe to HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax. I almost always get offered something better than $5 off for 6 months. 

Any advice on whether it's worth calling again?

I've never been a big believer in the CSR roulette claim, but after being told the free Red Zone just wasn't available for me this year by a very nice retention CSR who gave me a bunch of credits instead, I called back yesterday and was offered Red Zone for free or ST for free with a one year commitment.  Couldn't do both, but since I told her a I really wanted RZ, she also offered me a $25 one time credit if I took the free ST and paid for Max.  She also threw in 3 mos Showtime/HBO/Cinemax for free.

No idea what changed since the last time I called.  I'm still on the lowest advertised base package (Select), but have a lot of other programming add-ons and have been with them for 11+ years.  

I do think it might help to mention you're calling for Red Zone immediately because of how they input info into their systems.  If you call and say you're concerned about cost or certain missing channels (p12 for example), I think you get a different set of offers.

#14 OFFLINE   IMFletcher2

IMFletcher2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thanks. I will let you know if I have any luck! I have the Choice Xtra Classic package, and 3 movie stations. It's not like I am on the bottom tier. I appreciate your thoughts!

#15 OFFLINE   IMFletcher2

IMFletcher2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

Amazing. What a difference the CSR on the other end can make. Spoke with a great lady named Julie today. Hit the prompt by saying "check contract end date." I explained I was trying to see if I am under contract and for how long. She told me, and asked me my concerns. Explained that I would love to get the Redzone, but don't really need the Sunday Ticket. She more or less offered it to me for free, explaining they can't "sell" it because it's part of the other package. She said the credit from my first payment of ST Max hadn't shown up yet from my call on Tuesday, so she took care of that. Then she gave me a $5 credit off my movie channels for 6 months. She was laughing, we were cracking jokes. Totally pleasant experience, and completely different from my call Tuesday. So, fingers crossed, the Redzone will be there as promised!

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

I had Red Zone last year, and may go for Sunday Ticket, which I've never had. Does it come with the 30 minute recap of each game? I've seen that latter mentioned, but not sure how to get it, what it's attached to, or if standalone what it's called. Sounds, though, like something I'd like more than RZ.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

Amazing. What a difference the CSR on the other end can make. Spoke with a great lady named Julie today. Hit the prompt by saying "check contract end date." I explained I was trying to see if I am under contract and for how long. She told me, and asked me my concerns. Explained that I would love to get the Redzone, but don't really need the Sunday Ticket. She more or less offered it to me for free, explaining they can't "sell" it because it's part of the other package. She said the credit from my first payment of ST Max hadn't shown up yet from my call on Tuesday, so she took care of that. Then she gave me a $5 credit off my movie channels for 6 months. She was laughing, we were cracking jokes. Totally pleasant experience, and completely different from my call Tuesday. So, fingers crossed, the Redzone will be there as promised!

Nice! Congrats!

#18 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

I had Red Zone last year, and may go for Sunday Ticket, which I've never had. Does it come with the 30 minute recap of each game? I've seen that latter mentioned, but not sure how to get it, what it's attached to, or if standalone what it's called. Sounds, though, like something I'd like more than RZ.

The 30 min short cuts are part of ST Max, along with the RZ channel, and streaming access to the games. Obviously, they will offer RZ standalone, but for the 30 min games, you'll need full ST with Max.

#19 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

Got my yearly add on...also got $20 off per month for a year....can't wait for the season to start now!! :)

I just called and got the exact same thing here, plus 3 months HBO and Showtime for free.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 04 September 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

Called today and explained that I didn't need ST and was just looking for red zone.  To my surprise they gave me just the redone channel.  Was kind of hoping for ST but I'm pleased with just RZ.

HR-44-700 (3) C41-500 HR 24-100 GenieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...