Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What costs go with this "free upgrade to Genie" offer?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1995hoo

1995hoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts
  • LocationFairfax County, VA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

A week or so ago I received the offer below in the mail. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it and I'm wondering if anyone could give me a sense of what costs I could expect to incur with this offer. The costs are a major consideration because we're having our HVAC (AC and furnace) replaced in September and so money is a little tight right now.

I tried searching the forum for advice, but the problem I run into is there's a lot of technical jargon and acronyms and I just haven't really kept up with a lot of that stuff over the past several years for a variety of reasons. It appears clear to me we'd need some kind of equipment upgrade and would not be able to plug a Genie in as things now stand, but I'm not sure what we'd need nor what the cost is. Been a DirecTV customer since 2001; we currently have a Slimline dish that was installed several years ago (I do not remember when) and two HD DVR boxes, I think an HR20 and an HR21 but I may be mistaken on that. Both boxes have two coax cables connected to the back via B-band converters. We do not have receivers on the TVs in our bedroom and guest room because we don't watch them enough to justify the expense (mostly we use them to watch the 11 PM News, Fallon's monologue if we can stay awake, and sometimes stuff on the weekends when cleaning house). So it's the two TVs. One of those two is a 2001-era Panasonic rear-projection that supports 480i, 480p, and 1080i, but not 720p or 1080p (the latter didn't exist yet); neither that TV nor the Onkyo receiver down there supports HDMI because it didn't exist at the time (I currently use the component video connection and coax digital audio down there). The other TV is a 2008-era Sony LCD that supports all the resolutions and has the HDMI connection; it's not connected to a receiver or the like due its location in the house. There is no phone jack near the Sony TV and there is no Ethernet jack near either one. I assume that means we'd need a wireless Genie client for one of the TVs, most likely the Sony because it looks like the wireless client doesn't allow a component connection. (Upgrading the Panasonic to a new TV is not in the cards right now due to that HVAC replacement!) Can't presently watch any DirecTV programming on my iPhone or iPad and can't watch On Demand programming because the HD DVRs we have are not connected to the Internet due to the lack of wireless support.

I'm assuming if we do this we will probably need some sort of multiswitch upgrade and a wireless Genie client for the one TV. Is there something else we'd need to connect to the FIOS router (which is upstairs in the home office on the third floor; the TVs in question are on the first and second floors) to allow for On Demand and the like? Running Ethernet cables and the like is not an appealing option for several reasons, not the least of which is a gas fireplace near the Sony TV.

On the whole we're generally satisfied with the current configuration other than the glacial pace the two boxes exhibit when you try to change channels or press any other button on the remote. My wife is intrigued by the idea of having enough tuners to allow recording several things at once while watching another—it's not usually a problem but occasionally presents an issue on Monday nights. I'm interested in the upgrade offer largely because I view it in part as a due diligence type of thing and because I wonder what sort of benefit it might pose. On the other hand, I'm concerned about the hidden cost of upgrading and I'm wary of the idea of signing onto a new two-year programming commitment (right now, we have no commitment) in view of the whole AT&T acquisition thing. I'm not sure I want to put myself in a situation where I might be stuck if AT&T makes a bunch of changes.

Thanks in advance for any advice. If you could explain any acronyms or technical jargon, I would be quite grateful! One of my beefs with DirecTV has been how those of us who are longstanding customers are the last to be offered any new services and how it's hard to find out about anything unless you spend lots of time on a forum such as this one, which I simply have not had time to do these last few years. I tried wading though the wealth of information on the forum but wound up feeling overwhelmed by all of it and decided I might do better just asking!

Genie_zps1fb713d3.png

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

To get a Genie, you would need to be converted to SWM, Single Wire Multiswitch. This means one coax cable goes into the DVR, the second tuner port on your current boxes would be unused (except maybe the HR20).

It would also remove the B Band Converter requirement.

You can keep any of your current DVRs, or replace. Genie clients aren't required. The Genie does require Whole Home DVR, which on an older account adds $3 a month. 

#3 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread OP but I am also considering finally taking this free upgrade to a Genie.  

I currently only have a HR20-100 on my main HDTV and a SD receiver (D11-100) on an old TV which I could care less about.  I want the Genie as my new main DVR but was hoping to keep my HR20-100 connected in the same location as the Genie.  It still has some recordings on it so would it be possible to access these recordings through the Genie?  

What kind of setup and charges am I looking at?  I have been off contract for years now and understand this upgrade will require a new 2 year agreement, so I will ask them for some monthly discounts to go with it.

Thanks!  :)   

DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#4 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

"Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

I currently only have a HR20-100 on my main HDTV and a SD receiver (D11-100) on an old TV which I could care less about.  I want the Genie as my new main DVR but was hoping to keep my HR20-100 connected in the same location as the Genie.  It still has some recordings on it so would it be possible to access these recordings through the Genie?  

yes shouldn't be a problem and yes

• John Strk likes this

My Setup: SWM 13 LNB | HR44-700 | HR24-200 | HR24-500 | Two HR22-100's

#5 OFFLINE   1995hoo

1995hoo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

You can keep any of your current DVRs, or replace. Genie clients aren't required. The Genie does require Whole Home DVR, which on an older account adds $3 a month.

If we do that, can the current DVRs access whatever is recorded on the Genie box? If so, what equipment is needed to make that happen and what does it cost? Right now, for example, neither box is connected to the Internet because of the inexplicable lack of a wireless capability.

#6 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

If we do that, can the current DVRs access whatever is recorded on the Genie box? If so, what equipment is needed to make that happen and what does it cost? Right now, for example, neither box is connected to the Internet because of the inexplicable lack of a wireless capability.

adding the required whole home DVR should allow you to access whatever is on the genie on the other boxes and vise versa, Also, if you can mange to get a HR44 genie then you can connect the system to the internet wirelessly without adding any extra equipment.

Edited by Old_School, 27 August 2014 - 07:14 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#7 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

One thing that was not answered directly is any equipment needed to make your system functional (dish or LNB, multiswitches, cinema connection kit, etc) is included at no extra charge.  All you normally pay for are the receivers and a set install fee and as that is free in this promo you pay nothing.

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   1995hoo

1995hoo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

One thing that was not answered directly is any equipment needed to make your system functional (dish or LNB, multiswitches, cinema connection kit, etc) is included at no extra charge. All you normally pay for are the receivers and a set install fee and as that is free in this promo you pay nothing.

Thank you for that. That is outstanding info and I very much appreciate it. That sort of thing makes it much more palatable, especially with that HVAC replacement mentioned in my original post.

I guess the question we have to decide is whether we want to commit to a two-year contract with the whole AT&T thing still going on. I feel like my wife is FINALLY mostly comfortable with the current setup (we've been married four years), so I don't much want to change providers.....

#9 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

Thank you for that. That is outstanding info and I very much appreciate it. That sort of thing makes it much more palatable, especially with that HVAC replacement mentioned in my original post.

I guess the question we have to decide is whether we want to commit to a two-year contract with the whole AT&T thing still going on. I feel like my wife is FINALLY mostly comfortable with the current setup (we've been married four years), so I don't much want to change providers.....

I don't think you have much to worry about as far as the AT&T thing goes. If anything does happen i don't think it will be within your 2 year commitment as they have to wait for FCC approval and whatever other steps need to be taken. Also, i highly dought the Directv format would change (atleast that quick) and i don't think some of the bigwigs at Directv would allow a sale unless they had something to do with the new company or atleast got a fat enough check to ease the pain.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#10 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 317 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

1995hoo, it sounds like the only additional cost to you would be the additional $3/month Whole Home DVR fee that is inescapable when you move to the Genie. 

From what I understand, almost all "new" installs for Genie are HR44's these days.  The advantage of that in your case is that the HR44 will connect to your WiFi router wirelessly and bridge internet into your entire DirecTV system. 

If I were you, I would tell DirecTV that you will keep one of your current DVRs.  Choose whichever one works the best and also has the most shows recorded to it that you either haven't watched or want to keep.  This way, you'll have 7 recordable tuners and you'll be able to watch shows recorded on the Genie or on your other DVR at either location.  When I upgraded to Genie, I just had them replace my slowest DVR and instead of 2 Genie Minis, I kept my other 2 DVRs.   It's a great setup for us.  I record shows for my 4 year old on 1 DVR, movies for me and my wife on another DVR, and all of our TV series on the Genie. 

The DirecTV tech will get everything installed and set up properly for you.  Everything should be running perfectly before they'll leave. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

I don't think you have much to worry about as far as the AT&T thing goes. If anything does happen i don't think it will be within your 2 year commitment as they have to wait for FCC approval and whatever other steps need to be taken. Also, i highly dought the Directv format would change (atleast that quick) and i don't think some of the bigwigs at Directv would allow a sale unless they had something to do with the new company or atleast got a fat enough check to ease the pain.

This may be a bad example, but Time Warner bought Insight Cable in February 2012 (completed). They still haven't made any significant changes to set top boxes etc.

#12 OFFLINE   1995hoo

1995hoo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

Thanks, "mrdobolina." That's very helpful. It's interesting to note the flyer I received refers to receiving 12 months of free "Advanced Receiver Service" via a statement credit. We already pay that fee now—I just pulled up my statement online and it shows a $10 "Advanced Receiver Service—HD" and a $10 "Advanced Receiver Service—DVR." In theory, then, that implies our bill ought to be $7 less for 12 months, after which it'd be $3 more, doesn't it? That's pretty darn interesting.

I suppose the other advantage to keeping one of the current DVRs would be elimination of the need to reprogram a bunch of season passes.

You've all been very helpful. I'll go over it with my wife tonight to see what she thinks. Appreciate all the feedback!

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

They MAY attempt to charge you $50 for the installation.  If they do, make an effort to get that fee waived.  They are going to want to replace both of your DVR's with a Genie and a mini.  I suggest that you keep one of your existing DVR's as well as the Genie.  If you are OK with losing the programming that you have recorded on both of your DVR's, I'd also suggest that you say something to the tech who does the Genie install about how slow your DVR is and ask if he has an HR24 on his truck that he can replace it with.  If he's hesitant, a $20 tip can go a long way with this request.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...