Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Genie upgrade but keep my HR20-100?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

I am considering finally taking the free protection plan upgrade to a Genie.  

I currently only have an HR20-100 as my main HD DVR and an SD receiver (D11-100) on an old TV which I could care less about.  I want the Genie as my new main DVR but was hoping to keep my old HR20-100 connected in the same location as the Genie.  It still has some recordings on it so would it be possible to access these recordings through the Genie?  

What kind of setup and charges am I looking at?  I have been off contract for years now and understand this upgrade will require a new 2 year agreement, so I will ask them if I qualify for any monthly discounts to go with it.  Also is it best to call D* protection plan, any CSR, or retention to get this all setup?

Thanks!  :)

DirecTV Customer Since 2007

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

If the HR20-100 is SWIM compatible you can use it as a client and the HR44/Genie as the server. This would give you 7 recording tuners. You would be networking the two boxes together using the Whole Home DVR setup.

Can't tell you about costs, you should call DirecTV and ask about the cost of the upgrade. DVRs make wonderful clients, but you can get non-DVR clients as well, which are cheaper, but do not give you the same number of recordable tuners.

My preference is the following:

1. Genie HR44 (5 recording tuners)

2. HR24 HD DVR (2 recording tuners) This is where your HR20-100 comes in, if it is SWIM compatible.

3. H24 HD Receiver only (1 Viewing/Non-Recording Tuner)

Total Tuners: 8 which is the default setup from D*. Any more tuners requires an SWM-16 add on/replacement.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

"Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

• Registered
  • 595 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

All HR20's are SWiM capable, so he can keep it. will have to get the D11 replaced though.

• John Strk likes this

My Setup: SWM 13 LNB | HR44-700 | HR24-200 | HR24-500 | Two HR22-100's

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Set the Genie to use the alternate remote code, use the default on the HR20. Going the other way could cause some headaches if it's not going to be very temporary.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Set the Genie to use the alternate remote code, use the default on the HR20. Going the other way could cause some headaches if it's not going to be very temporary.

if he gets HR44, this should be no problem, using RF on RC71 or RC72

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

I am considering finally taking the free protection plan upgrade to a Genie.  

I currently only have an HR20-100 as my main HD DVR and an SD receiver (D11-100) on an old TV which I could care less about.  I want the Genie as my new main DVR but was hoping to keep my old HR20-100 connected in the same location as the Genie.  It still has some recordings on it so would it be possible to access these recordings through the Genie?  

What kind of setup and charges am I looking at?  I have been off contract for years now and understand this upgrade will require a new 2 year agreement, so I will ask them if I qualify for any monthly discounts to go with it.  Also is it best to call D* protection plan, any CSR, or retention to get this all setup?

Thanks!  :)

If you keep the HR20, you can have the tech use a 2 way splitter to run both DVRs from a single coax cables.  Keeping the HR20 means paying the extra $6.00 a month for as long as you keep it activate.  Also, getting the Genie means you have to pay for WHDVR which should be  $3.00 monthly 

• John Strk likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

if he gets HR44, this should be no problem, using RF on RC71 or RC72

Yeah, in the other thread I specified if it was using IR, didn't put that in when I moved to this thread. I think it's one of those obscure issues at this point :)

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

You should be okay as long as DIRECTV (or an agent thereof) does the installation. My recollection is that the HR20-100 requires some extraordinary wiring (along with a special filter) to the DECA adapter that is used to connect it to the Genie.

I suppose you could also use a CCK with a splitter.

The cheap and easy option would be to skip DECA and go with a CAT5 jumper between the Genie and the HR20.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

I wouldn't call it extraordinary. It is less tidy, but then you're no longer needing BBCs. The BSF requirement depends on the wiring method used, two work. I can't remember which one is official DirecTV policy (splitter before or after DECA.)

#10 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

Also is it best to call D* protection plan, any CSR, or retention to get this all setup?

Customer retention group (CRG) would be your best choice.

• John Strk likes this

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#11 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the help guys!

Thinking about it now, I'll probably just deactivate and replace the D11 with my HR20-100.  That way I won't have to pay to activate a 3rd box.  I never use the D11 anymore, but I don't know if this will complicate the setup moving my HR20-100 to another room.  I just want to be able to access the old recordings on the HR20-100 with the new Genie at least until the HR20-100 dies.

I'll call and see what my options are.

#12 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

• Registered
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

Moving the hr20 to other location should be very simple and yes the genie will see the list and it will see the genies

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the help guys!

Thinking about it now, I'll probably just deactivate and replace the D11 with my HR20-100.  That way I won't have to pay to activate a 3rd box.  I never use the D11 anymore, but I don't know if this will complicate the setup moving my HR20-100 to another room.  I just want to be able to access the old recordings on the HR20-100 with the new Genie at least until the HR20-100 dies.

I'll call and see what my options are.

Some installers, including myself, like to replace the HR20-100 with another HDDVR because the HR20-100 requires a “special” configuration when is used in a Whole-Home set up.

Make sure to let the installer know that you wish to keep the HR20

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

I wouldn't call it extraordinary.

Since it is unique and requires additional hardware that an H series box shouldn't need, it is extraordinary.

The fact that peds48 would rather replace it than work with it also rises to the level of extraordinary.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Well I finally called back and got a deal.  Talked to the retention department after getting no where with the protection plan people.  Got a free Genie upgrade, $35 off per month in credits for 12 months, and free HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for 3 months.  They also offered an NFL package deal but I declined.  Instead I asked when we were getting Universal Sports in HD.  They could not help with that one.

Very happy with this.  Installation scheduled for this Saturday afternoon.  Can't wait!!! :)

Edited by John Strk, 28 August 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

We generally know about coming channels before they do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 OFFLINE   WalkGood

WalkGood

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

Very happy with this.  Installation scheduled for this Saturday afternoon.  Can't wait!!! :)

So,  how'd it go?

#18 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

So,  how'd it go?

Good news and bad news.  My new Genie (HR44-700) is all hooked up and working great. Can't get over how fast it is compared to my HR20.  

But MRV is not working. The contractor that came out was in a plain unmarked truck and had some girl with him that was supposedly training. He kept telling me that my old HR20-100 was not supported for MRV. He even showed me some chart that shows it as not supported. He was pointing to a H20 on the chart and I had to correct him that mine was a HR20. So he had to make a few calls to figure out how to connect everything. I wish I had done a little more research before they came out.  I told him that I had checked with multiple sources that confirm that it was possible to connect the HR20 and Genie for MRV but that it required a special connection for the HR20. I should have had a diagram for them. He even called back the local supervisor and he said it could not be connected. The installer didn't even get the internet connection working on the Genie before he left.

So I called D* tech support after the tech left and they confirmed that it was indeed possible and that all I need is a splitter and a band stop filter. I requested a different technician to come back out so I made an appointment for later this week. Hope all goes well. I just want to be able to view my old HR20 recordings on the Genie until the HR20 dies.

Currently I connected the Genie to my Wi-Fi as this is the preferred connection method according to D*. But I already had an ethernet cable available from my HR20 so now I need to figure out if it's a faster, more stable internet connection having a wired ethernet connection as opposed to wireless. D* said the wired connection can cause issues with MRV. Is this true?

Edited by John Strk, 01 September 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

• Registered
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

Currently I connected the Genie to my Wi-Fi as this is the preferred connection method according to D*. But I already had an ethernet cable available from my HR20 so now I need to figure out if it's a faster, more stable internet connection having a wired ethernet connection as opposed to wireless. D* said the wired connection can cause issues with MRV. Is this true?

I have my hr44-700 connected wireless and haven't had any problems but wired should in theory be better. Ethernet doesn't cause any issues as long as every other directv receiver isn't connected via Ethernet, as the genie will provide internet to your HR20 via coax deca adapter once installed properly.

• John Strk likes this

#20 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

• Registered
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

Diagram of install.

Attached Thumbnails

• hr20-100.JPG