Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade to Genie - recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hello,

Currently I have two DVRs and was thinking of upgrading to Genie albeit signing up for a 2yr contract primarily due to recording storage and the occasional lack of tuners.  Setup is as follows:

HR24-500 in family room

HR21-700 in multi-purpose closet (which it was AV, but if you store tools and vacuum cleaners, it's multipurpose)

DECA 1MR0-01 hooked to the HR21 (coax comes in, coax and RJ45 go to HR21)

DECA Broadband adapter connected to home router

The HR21 feeds a main TV via HDMI and also another TV (bedroom) via component to composite to RF.  This set is also controlled via RF remotes from both TVs.

My dish is a little older since it does not have the built in SWM.  4 lines come down and they go to the SWM and then one line goes to each DECA and HR24.

I would say I should replace the HR21-700.  I assume I would no longer need the DECA 1MR0.   Now, would otherwise, be a straight forward replacement?  Also, will I have issues with remotes?  I'm using RC64RB remotes.  Will these work, or would I have to put the HR24 in the closet so it can be controlled via RF?

HR44 is what I want, right?

Thanks in advance.

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,732 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Correct, I will keep the HR24 where it is, get an HR44 but you MUST use the newer RC71 or RC72 for RF.  Older remotes will not work for the HR44 in RF mode.  It should be a simple swap

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Correct, I will keep the HR24 where it is, get an HR44 but you MUST use the newer RC71 or RC72 for RF.  Older remotes will not work for the HR44 in RF mode.  It should be a simple swap

Ok - so I will need to get a second remote for it.  Currently I have several RC64RF due to a problem long ago when the installer of an HR20 never put the RF antenna and D* kept on sending replacement RF remotes instead of the RF antenna.

Does the HR44 have simultaneous component and HDMI outputs?  AFAIK the HR24 does it same as the HR21 right?  If so, then I would the HR44 where the HR24 is now, and move that one to the closet.  Then I can control the HR24 via RF with my existing remotes and the Genie via IR.

Regarding networking, does the broadband adapter I have would be enough?  Would the HR44 work the same way the HR24 does today? 

Oh, and is the HR44 the default receiver being pushed out today or do I want to make sure I don't get old stock from the installer?  Or would D* simply ship the unit?

Edited by su_A_ve, 31 August 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,732 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

Ok - so I will need to get a second remote for it.  

Yes

then I would the HR44 where the HR24 is now, and move that one to the closet.  Then I can control the HR24 via RF with my existing remotes and the Genie via IR.

That would be another option 

Does the HR44 have simultaneous component and HDMI outputs?

Same outputs as HR24

Would the HR44 work the same way the HR24 does today? 

Yes, keep the BroadBand DECA

Oh, and is the HR44 the default receiver being pushed out today or do I want to make sure I don't get old stock from the installer?

While the HR44 is not the default Genie being installed, is the one that is being installed the most. But there is also the HR34

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

Perfect.  I'll schedule the install and check with the installer what equipment they are carrying.

#6 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

Double checking on DECA setup...  

DECA 1MR0 - This will not be needed any more correct?  This just provides ethernet via coax to the HR21, right?

DECA Broadband Adapter - Would I still need it?  Or leave as is and just single coax to each HR24 and HR44?

I don't want to use wireless.  But the intended location for the HR44 does not have ethernet (I could run a line). 

Thanks...

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:10 AM

Double checking on DECA setup...  

DECA 1MR0 - This will not be needed any more correct?  This just provides ethernet via coax to the HR21, right?

DECA Broadband Adapter - Would I still need it?  Or leave as is and just single coax to each HR24 and HR44?

I don't want to use wireless.  But the intended location for the HR44 does not have ethernet (I could run a line). 

Since you don't want to use wireless (I don't blame you either) I would keep the DECA BB adapter just as you currently have setup now. Since your replacing the HR21, you will no longer need that white DECA behind it connected, so disconnect it when the install happens. 

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...