Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2nd Dish - Why bother?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:16 PM

Why does Dish even bother to carry additional local channels at 61.5? Just to say they do carry them?? Most people I know don't like the 1 dish mounted on their house, and don't want a 2nd.

I get all the local channels except UPN and one religious independent that are on the 61.5 satellite. When I signed up the CSR offered me WWOR or WSBK for UPN and never mentioned the fact that there was a local UPN available on a 2nd dish if I wanted one.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 12:17 AM

Why does Dish even bother to carry additional local channels at 61.5? Just to say they do carry them?? Most people I know don't like the 1 dish mounted on their house, and don't want a 2nd.

1) You know a lot of stupid people
2) the channels on the second dish are required to carried *by law*
3) they also carry additional channels on 148
4) the FCC is investigating claims that E* is not doing enough to promote the "extra locals" that require the 2nd dish, and claims that E* is not making obtaining those channels easy
5) there is a fair chance that the FCC will sanction E* for having some locals on a separate dish instead of keeping entire markets together.

JL

#3 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:16 AM

When I signed up the CSR offered me WWOR or WSBK for UPN and never mentioned the fact that there was a local UPN available on a 2nd dish if I wanted one.

The local UPN would be free to you - free installation of the second dish and no extra charge as long as you sub'd to your locals. WWOR or any other superstation will add $1.50/month to your bill.

CSR behavior like that is just asking the FCC for a big juicy fine. I don't understand why the CSRs aren't told to be sure to mention the second dish so E* can stay on the right side of the rules.

And who are these people who hate having a dish mounted to their house? ;)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#4 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:22 AM

When I called for the 2nd dish, they could not have been more cooperative and quick. I had it installed Free the next week.

The 2nd is not needed. This time last year, the 2nd dishes held all of the HDTV. Now they have barely nothing (CBS-HD). I'm going to keep mine up because who knows what they may need to do later this year. Hopefully there will be a bunch of new HDTV channels launched this year.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#5 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:45 AM

If you can get it for free why not get it.

With the way Dish has been changing plans every couple of weeks, I have it to make sure I am "future proofed". I also like the fact I am getting all the channels I am paying for, even if I rarely watch any of them.

Here is a list of channels you are missing without the 2nd dish.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/143

#6 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:57 AM

Have anyone ever seen all of the hack jobs that have been installed by DNSC? As a professional high end installer, I've been called out to repair or clean up over a hundred of them.

The "must carry" and the second dish is the result of cable companies complaining that they have to carry those extra channels and a way for them to deter satellite from using that bandwidth for something more productive.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:03 AM

I would suspect that when E10 goes up next year they will move all the stray locals from the wings to E10. They really will not have that many more markets to add by the time E10 goes up. Perhaps they will move some of the superdish markets to E10, but Dish is now starting to run out of markets to put up. By the time E10 goes up next year they could have the top 150 markets pretty well covered, and be working their way to the top 175.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:15 AM

I took the second dish for one of the reasons above, it was free. I hardly watched anything off of 61.5 when I think about it. My local PBS and UPN stations are on 61.5, but I don't watch PBS and the only UPN show I watched was Twilight Zone which I recorded off of WSBK. But when it comes to satellite dishes, the more the merrier, I have 3 dishes and an off air antenna on the roof, and I'd like to move my XM antenna up there. Beauty is in the beholder :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#9 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:20 AM

More may be merrier, but it may not always be better.

No one remembers Stanton and Wooster. No one remembers Nungesser and Coli. But, they sure do remember Charles Lindberg.

More dishes mean more connections and more to go wrong, especially if they are not installed for the best durability.

#10 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 06:23 PM

LOL.. There are some people that think satellites look ugly mounted outside your house and said it would be stupid to have 2 dishes out there. I don't care what it looks like. I used to have 2 dishes side by side at my old house for directv and dish service. Who cares that it looks like, what you get on your TV is the whole point to me.

#11 OFFLINE   Neutron

Neutron

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:18 PM

The only channel that is on 61.5 for me is the 2nd PBS station here.

DISH didn't require me to get it. I don't have it. The wife does not want a 2nd dish on our fence. The 1 is enough for her.

E10 is what's going to 105 correct? SuperDISH?

#12 OFFLINE   steveo70

steveo70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 12:25 AM

I have three dishes on my roof. Rather have that than one of those big c-band dishes. But hey remember all those ugly UHF/VHF Antennas everyone had before cable and satellite TV?

#13 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 12:49 AM

I have three dishes on my roof. Rather have that than one of those big c-band dishes. But hey remember all those ugly UHF/VHF Antennas everyone had before cable and satellite TV?

I prefer the ugly antenna. With HD OTA ATSC, what is old is new again.

I get my locals for free on the "UGLY ANTENNA." I haven't paid for locals for 7 years, and i don't intend to in the future.

#14 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 11:23 AM

Well, I had the 2nd dish installed, and it is great. I get my local WB affiliate and a 2nd PBS station as well. I also get access to free MBC and other international programming as well.
Do you DVR?

#15 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,320 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 February 2004 - 12:18 PM

Not me! I am proud to 'show off'' my 2-dish antenna 'tree' and the absolutely professional reconfiguration/install I got from my DNSC guy. I can't wait to replace my Dish500 with a superdish. Some of my neighbors think I am the satellite guru of the neighborhood and I probably am! I'm likely the cause of more cable disconnects and E*/D* installs than I am aware.

Have anyone ever seen all of the hack jobs that have been installed by DNSC?

Not me, Mike. I'm sure you've seen more, but I have more confidence in DNSC's installs that the average jackleg freelance five-a-day and home by 5 installer.

The wife does not want a 2nd dish on our fence.

That's a lame excuse, Neutron. We know who wears the pants in your family. Change your handle to from "Neutron" to "Neuteron". Ask your wife since she's in charge of the 'electrics', will she please. please allow you to be in charge of the 'electronics'. :rolleyes:

Yard decor isn't that big of a deal when you are inside watching TV. :lol:

Of course, that's easy for me to say cuz I'm single and lovin' it! :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#16 OFFLINE   steveo70

steveo70

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:54 PM

I prefer the ugly antenna. With HD OTA ATSC, what is old is new again.

I get my locals for free on the "UGLY ANTENNA." I haven't paid for locals for 7 years, and i don't intend to in the future.

Try living in a mountain area with the ugly antenna and see how many locals you will pick up :)

#17 OFFLINE   julesism

julesism

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 12:22 PM

I asked for a 2nd dish but when the installer came out, it was cold, windy, and raining. He took > 30secs to say that it would not work because he said both sats were blocked by trees etc.... i disagree. should i call back and make another tech come out ? the original installer said it could prob be done, he just didnt want to fool with it since he wasnt being paid to install it at the time. i've installed lots of DirecTV dishes myself so I know how to do it. Would Dish send me the stuff and let me try it myself if they are unwilling to send another tech ? could i ask for the original installer to come out again ?

#18 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 12:40 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk Julesism :hi:

Yes, you should call Dish back and explain to them the situation, and ask for another install date. You may or may not get the same installer. If you get the original installer to do the second dish he may charge you, if you go though Dish it will be totally free. I don't think Dish will send you the dish and let you put it up. Dish is funny about that kind of stuff. When I got my 508 receiver, it had to be professionally installed, which required nothing other then unhooking 5 cables from my old receiver, hooking them back up to the 508 and calling Dish to activate.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#19 OFFLINE   julesism

julesism

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 04:44 PM

well, i had a new appt scheduled. the weather was wonderful. now i've got a 2nd dish pointed at 148 :)

#20 OFFLINE   amit5roy5

amit5roy5

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 06:00 PM

Well, the 2nd dish has programming that aren't avalable from the main birds. Like the international. People are willing to put them up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...