Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free Virus Checker

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:36 PM

Saw this on TechTV. It's a free virus checker with free updates. Leo on "Call For Help" says it's as good as any of the fee based virus checkers.

Haven't tried it yet but will. Anyone else use it?

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:07 AM

They used to have AVG as their free antivirus and I know many folks who are very happy with it.... although you have to remember to check for updates, they don't usually come through automatically at regular enough intervals.

But, hey, it's free!
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#3 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:11 AM

I suppose I should add what I do use! Computer Associates' E-Trust on my Windows 2003 Server and Panda Antivirus on my XP Pro PCs. www.pandasoftware.com. I love my Panda. The Server antivirus is for paranoia, as it is not used for anything much apart from being a webserver and occasional file storage. No surfing, no email etc etc.

Panda has caught everything I've thrown at it... including what sometimes seems like neverending email attachments from other people's 'infections' - and the occasional test just to see if it's working!

And having a little giant panda head in the Systray is quite cute!
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#4 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:50 AM

My Norton's subscription is running out on the 14th. I guess a nice two week test with a "net" will satisfy me. This post couldn't have come at a better time!

Installation was a snap, but the initial virus scan took for ever! (92 Min) to scan the contents of the drive. (comperable to Nortons full disk scan)

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#5 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:11 AM

Cool, I know a couple people who need that, I'll point it out. As for me personally, I don't use anti-virus software. I don't believe I'm at a meaninful virus risk. I don't open unexpected attachments, I don't download Warez, I don't use P2P or even instant messaging, I don't download free software of unknown origin. And most of all I don't use Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. Still I do use Windows on my new computer still... I'd planned on getting a Mac TTA because they're so cute, the UI is much better, they're more stable, more reliable, and faster. But I couldn't afford it. I'm thinking I'll settle halfway and get one of those nice new oh-so-cute and tiny iPod mini's though.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:00 AM

I'd planned on getting a Mac TTA because they're so cute, the UI is much better, they're more stable, more reliable, and faster. But I couldn't afford it. I'm thinking I'll settle halfway and get one of those nice new oh-so-cute and tiny iPod mini's though.

You can get an eMac for $999 I think.
Mike Richardson

#7 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:29 AM

I currently use the pasid version of Grisoft. I used the free version for quite some time. I firstturned to it when my MCAfee installation became corrupt and I could not upgrade it or de install it. Neither MCAfee nor Norton willinstall when McAfee is already threre. I am highly pleased. The only reaon I left the free version was that it does not automatically update. But it works VERY well.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#8 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 08:29 AM

I also use Grisoft have been very happy with it. :)

#9 OFFLINE   MarkB49

MarkB49

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:18 AM

The last Virus scan i used was:
Quaterdeck and it didn't work right.5 1/4 Years ago!!

Downloaded AVG 6.0
I thought the computer scan would take several hours,running PII 333 458 SDRAM,when it finished a nice box appeared:
Virus found: BackDoor.Apdoor.
Test run manual at 6:47
Files tested: 29,938 Time Elasped: 71 min.
Infected files Detected: 6
Viruses Removed by Healing: 6
Files moved to virus vault: 0
Viruses still on Drive: 0

Thanks Chris!!
I looked further into what it was: Trojan Horse BackDoor.Ap. Pretty good for 5+ years.
I like Mark A close out everything.I have used Lycos mail the whole time as well.I only get mail in my address book, change as needed.

Grisoft is providing a very good product for FREE.

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:29 AM

Thanks Chris!!

You are welcome!

I just loaded up the software myself. Went pretty smoothly and the complete system scan only took about 30 minutes after checking 31,000 files.

I will use it for a while and see what happens. My only concern is whether or not it works with Outlook Express. It doesn't seem to scan incoming e-mails although it says it does.

Also, the software download and virus update files was very slow. Almost like dialup. Might have been net congestion though.

My Norton's subscription is running out on the 14th. I guess a nice two week test with a "net" will satisfy me. This post couldn't have come at a better time!

Installation was a snap, but the initial virus scan took for ever! (92 Min) to scan the contents of the drive. (comperable to Nortons full disk scan)

See ya
Tony

Tony,

I'm in the same boat. My Norton subscription expires tomorrow. I've ordered a new version of Norton SystemWorks Pro 2003 (only $11!) which comes with a free 1 year subscription but I'm giving AVG a whirl. Seems to work well.

P.S. If anyone wants a copy of SystemWorks Pro which includes norton antivirus, you can get it here for $10.99.

http://half.ebay.com...=2265&meta_id=5

#11 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:42 AM

"You can get an eMac for $999 I think."

Ugh... CRT bubble. I was looking at the PowerMac G4 since I have a nice monitor, but instead I got an eMachines and have a DVD+RW drive and more for under $800! I couldn't say no!

#12 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:23 AM

I have been using and recommending AVG for 4 or 5 years now. For those of you not getting regular automatic updates for the free version:

Open the AVG Control Center and click on the Update Tab. There you can check if you want to allow automatic updates, when and how often. My computers at home are always on and are set to scan and update in the middle of the night. Updates are set to occur at least once every 48 hours, although I manually update every day for the heck of it. Its just backup in case I forget. I did recently do a manual scan on my wife's computer and realized that it was set to hibernate, so it hadn't been getting the automatic updates. That may be the problem some of you are facing.

I can also attest to the fact that AVG will catch viruses in Outlook Express. It has for me. Look under Tools in OE, you should have an AVG menu as part of your tools.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 08:10 PM

"You can get an eMac for $999 I think."

Ugh... CRT bubble. I was looking at the PowerMac G4 since I have a nice monitor, but instead I got an eMachines and have a DVD+RW drive and more for under $800! I couldn't say no!

I could... (say no). Windows just has too many viruses.
Mike Richardson

#14 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:05 PM

I get the point Mike, I just downloaded and ran AVG - no virus viruses, but I found an apparently rare trojan which is part of some unknown adware package. It's pretty rare and hard to detect I guess. Aahhhh, I shoulda spent twice as much and got the G4 - it would have been worth it!

#15 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:33 AM

I have yet to install any security software on my new computer. On my old one I had up to date versions of Zone Alarm Pro, Norton Internet Security and Ad Aware Pro. I have NAV '04 Pro, but haven't installed it yet. Ever since I changed my email address I hardly get any email and the stuff I do get is all legit. I know it's a lame excuse but I don’t want Norton to slow down my computer, I love to have it go from off to fully loaded in 30 secs. :) Although I really should protect something I spent $2,500, maybe I'll try out AVG.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#16 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:56 AM

Itworks with OE. In fact you can get the free version to work with other clients as well but the configuration is difficult. While the free version hasa few ease of use issues it shows that ehre is no reason not to have some kind of virus checker.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#17 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:50 AM

I downloaded it last night. It was a very easy installation. I have never had any anti virus software but last fall my daughter opened a link in AIM. I had a hard time getting rid of the bug, but finally did with the free version of McAfee that was on the computer.

I will give this on a try for a while.

Thanks for the info Chris!

#18 OFFLINE   TimL

TimL

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:35 AM

I downloaded it last night. It was a very easy installation. I have never had any anti virus software but last fall my daughter opened a link in AIM. I had a hard time getting rid of the bug, but finally did with the free version of McAfee that was on the computer.

I will give this on a try for a while.

Thanks for the info Chris!

For some reason it took several times to get the software download but it seems to work well. It also seems to not slow down my other programs which is what I like..

Tim Lones

#19 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:38 PM

WARNING!

While I'm glad I tried this because it told me about the "trojan" (actually spyware/adware) I had on my computer; it totally messed up my computer. Windows started taking forever (several minutes) to recognize my removable drives (which may be related to a built in media card reader I have), making it take several minutes after starting up to load iTunes, System Restore (in my fix-it attempts), or even My Computer. Just a warning to watch out for this. I HATE WINDOWS! But it is cheap...

#20 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 08:43 AM

As far as automatic updates not working on the free version, AVG just now automatically downloaded the latest update.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...