Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is a phone connection required to activate an 811?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IanF

IanF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:42 PM

Look outside to see the Moon crashing into the Pacific Ocean and George Bush marrying John Kerry in SanFran, 'cuz DISH called me yesterday to schedule an 811 install for Friday!

Suitably adrenalised by this development, I spent the evening making sure there are NO problems for Mr. Installer (pre-drilling holes for the additional cable, having fish tape ready to pull it, trimming back a shrub next to the house where the dish is). He'll have no excuse to leave without the job done...

That said, I just realised the downstairs rec room does not have a phone jack. (Our whole house is Siemens Gigaset wireless.) Is the installer going to gag over this, or if I tell him "Don't worry, I'll wire one up when you're gone" will he just hook up and go? I don't buy PPV movies so it shouldn't be a big deal, but I want to be 110% sure. Does DISH need this backchannel for anything other than PPV?

Cheers,
ian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mica618

mica618

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:48 PM

I just got dish installed last week and i dont have a phone. They didnt even ask me if i had one so no you wont need a phone. I hope that sets your mind at ease. take care my friend.

#3 OFFLINE   mboy

mboy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:05 AM

No phone on my 811. Oly hooked up to my 522 to avoid $5 monthly fee otherwise, I wouldn't hook it up to that either. no worries.

#4 OFFLINE   Wills77

Wills77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:56 AM

A connection to a land based telephone line is not REQUIRED to activated an 811, however the you will not be able to order PPV via remote (which you already meantioned, that you dont use anyways.

Look outside to see the Moon crashing into the Pacific Ocean and George Bush marrying John Kerry in SanFran, 'cuz DISH called me yesterday to schedule an 811 install for Friday!

Suitably adrenalised by this development, I spent the evening making sure there are NO problems for Mr. Installer (pre-drilling holes for the additional cable, having fish tape ready to pull it, trimming back a shrub next to the house where the dish is). He'll have no excuse to leave without the job done...

That said, I just realised the downstairs rec room does not have a phone jack. (Our whole house is Siemens Gigaset wireless.) Is the installer going to gag over this, or if I tell him "Don't worry, I'll wire one up when you're gone" will he just hook up and go? I don't buy PPV movies so it shouldn't be a big deal, but I want to be 110% sure. Does DISH need this backchannel for anything other than PPV?

Cheers,
ian

#5 OFFLINE   IanF

IanF

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:04 PM

Yee-hah: thanks for the clarification. On the good side, I don't have to spend this evening running a phone line. On the bad side, the wife will no doubt have some other chore for me to do... :-)

Thanks again,
ian

#6 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:47 PM

Yee-hah: thanks for the clarification. On the good side, I don't have to spend this evening running a phone line. On the bad side, the wife will no doubt have some other chore for me to do... :-)

Thanks again,
ian

On the other hand, if you subscribe to Caller Id with your phone company, the 811 will do Caller ID on your incoming calls, but only if it's attached to aphone line. ;)
Bobby C

#7 OFFLINE   IanF

IanF

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:29 PM

Crap: good point. I can't believe I forgot about the Caller ID feature. Looks like the wife's list will have to wait... :)

spam firewall