Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Correct switch to add a 3rd receiver to DISH500?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IanF

IanF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:25 PM

Since you can never be too prepared for an install... :)

I currently have a DISH500 twin LNB (110/119) feeding 2 SW21s that feed into 2 receivers (DP 501, 5000). I'm adding an 811 on Friday for a total of 3 receivers hanging off my DISH500.

Is the correct hookup for this to replace the 2 SW21s with a SW44? If so, is Mr. Installer going to be looking for a power hookup near my dish? Is there another switch I'm not seeing on the web that is preferred for this hookup?

Given that I expect to swap out my 5000 for a 921 in about 6 months, should I try to get a different switch to anticipate needing 4 receiver feeds? Or just shut up and deal with the 921 when I get it?

Cheers,
ian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,745 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:51 PM

First off - do you have two DUAL LNBs or a TWIN with a side slot ? My first impression is that you don't know what you have, or at least aren't using the correct terminology. Please check this site ( http://www.switchinfo.info/index.htm ) and ascertain for certain exactly what you have, please .

If all you have is 2 Dual LNBs , with 2 SW21s, then yes, putting a SW44 or SW64 would be the way to go. The power insertor needs to be placed on coax 1, between the receiver and the switch. For convience sake, it would be easiest to put it there in the same room as receiver #1.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,745 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:54 PM

If you were just dropping the 5000 now, you could change over to DishPro, which would lay the groundwork for you to do 4 slots.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   IanF

IanF

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:02 PM

First off - do you have two DUAL LNBs or a TWIN with a side slot ? My first impression is that you don't know what you have, or at least aren't using the correct terminology. Please check this site ( http://www.switchinfo.info/index.htm ) and ascertain for certain exactly what you have, please .

If all you have is 2 Dual LNBs , with 2 SW21s, then yes, putting a SW44 or SW64 would be the way to go...

Based on the images / data at this site, I have 2 Legacy Dual LNBs. Each LNB has two coax coming out of it: one coax goes to one SW21, the other coax to the other SW21. (Each SW21 then has 1 coax coming in from each LNB). I've always assumed one of the LNBs is for 119 and the other is 110 based on the SW21 labelling.

Thanks for the clarification: I've seen a million postings about switches here, and I sometimes wonder how the installer ever gets it right given the number of permutations.

#5 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:50 PM

If you were just dropping the 5000 now, you could change over to DishPro, which would lay the groundwork for you to do 4 slots.

If he were to switch to DishPro, his 811 would not be able to receive the 148 bird. There's a bug in the 811 when used with DishPro switches and LNB's for 148. (I know. A bug in the 811? I'm shocked...SHOCKED!)

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Jacob S
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

#6 OFFLINE   IanF

IanF

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:30 PM

If he were to switch to DishPro, his 811 would not be able to receive the 148 bird. There's a bug in the 811 when used with DishPro switches and LNB's for 148...

Luckily/Unluckily for me, I can't see the 148 bird with any hardware, thanks to a cluster of 100ft+ Douglas Fir trees my neighbour owns right in the way. That's one bug I doubt the 811 engineers can fix, short of driving out some evening with a chainsaw... :)

#7 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:42 PM

Luckily/Unluckily for me, I can't see the 148 bird with any hardware, thanks to a cluster of 100ft+ Douglas Fir trees my neighbour owns right in the way. That's one bug I doubt the 811 engineers can fix, short of driving out some evening with a chainsaw... :)

Don't give up hope. I've heard the chainsaw patch will be in P266 coming out in early April. :D

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
Originally posted by Jacob S
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

#8 OFFLINE   IanF

IanF

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:06 PM

That makes sense: DISH must be stockpiling the 811s coming back from angry customers with chainsaws embedded in the case! :grin:

Thanks to everyone who provided info here: I think I'm set for Friday. Now if only Mr. Installer shows up with the correct HW...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...