Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

EMAIL FROM DISH REF: viacom/tbs CHANNEL DISPUTE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PACOP

PACOP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:02 AM

I emailed dish about the viacom dispute and got a reply back yesterday. the csr just stated that the courts gave an extension to dish which we all knew already and they were still in negotiations.. that was all she said about the viacom dispute. she also advised that a dispute was also going on with turner broadcast systems regarding their channels : boomerang, cnn, cartoon network and turner classic movies and headline news. she advised they are negotiating with them as well and if tbs doesn't lower their rate increase dish would have to drop these channels from the lineup. i didn't even know of a dispute with tbs , does anyone else know of the dispute with tbs stations.?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   willy

willy

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:11 AM

I thought the Turner stuff was already resolved.

#3 OFFLINE   PACOP

PACOP

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:15 AM

I thought the Turner stuff was already resolved.

so did i. maybe the csr doesn't know what she was talking about.

#4 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:08 PM

Does anyone have any more info about this topic?

#5 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:25 PM

There has been no announcement of a resolution with Turner. There was an announcement of a long term extension, but no specifics.

#6 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:42 PM

They just had a temporary resolution for the Turner channels, until they can get things resolved with them on prices.

#7 OFFLINE   IanF

IanF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:39 PM

They just had a temporary resolution for the Turner channels, until they can get things resolved with them on prices.

Good lord: DISH should buy Disney at this rate so we have some channels left in a couple years. They could call themselves "DISHney"; that's the way Sean Connery says Disney anyway...

#8 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 08:51 AM

Disney and Dish would be an interesting merger, but I don't think either company wants to give up power to the other.

It'll only happen if both feel they have to to survive.

These programming disputes seem to be getting more and more common. Part of Charlies game is to get the customer riled up and make sure the provider looks like the bad guy.

Owning some content might keep everyone playing nice.

#9 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:33 AM

I emailed dish about the viacom dispute and got a reply back yesterday. the csr just stated that the courts gave an extension to dish which we all knew already and they were still in negotiations.. that was all she said about the viacom dispute. she also advised that a dispute was also going on with turner broadcast systems regarding their channels : boomerang, cnn, cartoon network and turner classic movies and headline news. she advised they are negotiating with them as well and if tbs doesn't lower their rate increase dish would have to drop these channels from the lineup. i didn't even know of a dispute with tbs , does anyone else know of the dispute with tbs stations.?

Why does Dish have such difficulty negociating??? I say Dish needs to revise their packages putting the higher priced channels in the higher packages. Channels like GAC and Hallmark should be in the lower one while channels that are expensive like ESPN, Fox Sports, TBS, FX, should be in the higher ones.

Dish has to be making money off of us since their Top 180/locals is $49.99 vs Directv's Total Choice Plus/Locals is $42.99. Those encore theme channels are not worth $7 for sure.

#10 OFFLINE   willy

willy

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:40 AM

Why do you say they have difficulty negotiating, placing the burden on them? What if... just go with me here... the offer on the table from Viacom is unreasonable my most standards? Why is that attributed to E*'s "trouble negotiating"?

And putting ESPN, TBS etc in the highest price package would anger millions of subscribers. These are the most popular and wanted channels by a large # of viewers, and thats why they are in the most common package. Otherwise folks would switch to other providers giving these channels at a cheaper price.

C'mon.. dont ya get it? "Subscribe to Dish and we give you GAC and Hallmark in our base plan!! If you want ESPN you have to pay more!!!" Who would YOU choose?

And to your comment "Dish must be making money off us." Well--- yea--- what do you expect? A company to work for the good will of the people and not turn a profit? Clueless....

#11 OFFLINE   Agent0042

Agent0042

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:52 AM

Good lord: DISH should buy Disney at this rate so we have some channels left in a couple years.

I can't believe it. I'm like... what did I sign up for? Well... if they do disappear, at least nowadays I could get them on digital cable, or DirecTV for that matter.

#12 OFFLINE   PACOP

PACOP

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:07 AM

Charlie Is Doing All This Over 1 Channel And A Rate Increase. It's One Thing To Negotiate To Keep Prices Down For The Customer But Give Me A Break Here. This Is A Money Issue Here. Viacom And Directv Settled A Deal With No Problems , How Come It's Always Dish Having Trouble Negotiating , With Turner Stations And Viacom Stations. Charlie If Your'e Smart You Will Put Aside Your'e Pride And Take The Deal From Viacom. You Think The Rate Increase From Viacom Will Hurt Dish, Just Wait And See The Mass Exodus Of Subscribers If These Major Channels Are Taken Off. Then Dish Will Be In Trouble And Directv And Cable Will Be The Ones To Benefit. SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST PRIDEFUL AND STUBBORN AND ALL THEY DO IS CUT THEIR NOSE OFF DESPITE THEIR FACE.

#13 OFFLINE   willy

willy

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:50 AM

PACOP, since you are cutting and pasting your same response in all related forums, Ill follow you till you wake up.

Man you people are just not thinking.

Do you think Viacom gives the same deal to all providers? I didnt sit in on the neg's but I'd bet my paycheck that Viacom makes deals independently between providers.

And its not one channel. Its several channels that Viacom demands be in certain packages. Charlie does not want to add them and starve more bandwidth, much less include them in packages where each channel is selected for marketing reasons of E*'s.
He's not going to :
- Be forced to carry what he doesnt want
- Be forced to pay more for these channels (which he doesnt want in the first place)
- Let Viacom tell E* how to structure its packages.

I dont see pride in the equation.

#14 OFFLINE   PACOP

PACOP

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:37 AM

willy, i hear what your'e saying but can't believe that viacom structured a deal with directv significantly different than the one with dish.
it has no basis for it. also i don't want to lose more channels. many of these channels are for kids and family. i understand if you don't have kids these channels like tvland and nick wouldn't be an issue to you. i am paying 50 bucks a month for the 180 pack and the idea is to increase channels not take away from them. the only solution to be fair for all would be to ala carte the viacoms to the people who want them. if charlie really cared about his customers he would request feedback from us on what channels we want, but no all he does is decide for himself what channels to carry. thats why we have bingo tv, byu tv and the other 20 crap stations. drop them and he could afford the viacoms.

#15 OFFLINE   willy

willy

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:44 AM

True, pacop.

But letting viacom demand what channels E* carries and in what packages sets a bad precedent. Viacom has no business telling E* how to run its business, and demanding a high price from E* in return.

DirectTV can ABSOLUTELY have a drastic change in deals between the two companies. I know "a major company" that gives its product to one customer for .03 on the dollar. And another customer for full price. Just to give you some idea that corp. politics can cause drastic diff's. In this case, maybe D* already has more viacom channels in its lower packages, and Viacom thinks E* needs to beef this up. Bottom line is that its not Viacoms decision.

#16 OFFLINE   PACOP

PACOP

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:58 AM

i agree that viacom shouldn't be able to make dish accept all or nothing. dish should be able to pick the channels it wants. but viacom is doing to dish what dish is doing to all of us. so its fairplay. think about it, dish requires you to take one of their programming packages. you have to take the whole package or none at all. if i chose the 120 pack but wanted boomerang they will not let me alacarte that one channel. i would have to move up to the 180 package and pay 10 more bucks for that one channel that i want. so yeah its not fair but dish does it to us so viacom is doing it to dish. thats why charlie ticks me off, he won't allow us to pick and choose channels but wants viacom to let him pick and choose. what comes around goes around.

#17 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:05 PM

Why shouldn't Viacom be able to insist on an all-or-nothing deal? That's how a free market works. And the bottom line is Dish needs Viacom a hell of a lot more than Viacom needs Dish.

#18 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 02:35 PM

This isn't about renewing ESPN or Lifetime or any other "cable" channel. This is about the government-mandated retransmission agreement to allow this carrier (Dish) to resell the free OTA signal.

E* is arguing that it wants to negotiate a fair price for the retransmission of CBS O&O OTA stations, but that Viacom should not be allowed to require E* to carry new cable channels or renegotiate existing cable channel contracts before agreeing to let E* retransmit the CBS stations.

Maybe E*'s right, and if so, winning this case could keep a lid on retrans agreements across the country, or nudge Congress into creating a formula for compensating OTA broadcasters in lieu of station-by-station negotiations.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#19 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 02:42 PM

If we loose Nick, Boomerang and Cartoon Network, does that mean we will get PBS Kids?:rolleyes:

#20 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 08:07 PM

I heard something about a problem with Viacom and Dish. Is everything ok?
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

spam firewall