Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do Away With Sports Blackouts Now

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:09 AM

I think no matter where you live and what television viewing market you are in sports blackouts should be totally and completely done away with. If you agree to pay for a sports package you should be able to see any game carried on satellite tv. Just my 2 cents. Even if the game is being shown in your area on a local station you're paying for the package and so what about the rights of local stations to force you to watch on there channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 08:56 AM

I don't entirely disagree, but to get what you want, we'd need a new law to allow viewers to get it and a way to still compensate sports leagues.

For example, who would ever buy NFL Sunday Ticket if they could subscribe to all distant CBS/Fox stations? Who would buy NBA League Pass if they could get all the regional sports networks in the clear all the time?

If the leagues lose all that revenue because satellite viewers find these cheaper alternatives, there's going to want to make it back somehow. You wouldn't want the owners of the Broncos and the Lakers to go hungry, would you? ;)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#3 OFFLINE   uncdanwrong

uncdanwrong

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 06:15 PM

While there will always be blackouts on the RSNs there really shouldn't be any with the premium OOM packages such as Sunday Ticket. When the pro leagues negotiate such blackouts all it proves is that care more about the local television stations than the fans.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:13 AM

Who do you think pays for all these sports teams? Do you really think that stadium seating comes close? Stadium seating is lucky to just pay for the stadium construction costs. TV dollars is what pays for the teams. The leagues have this system designed to maximize the $$ at every turn.

The fans do not come close to figuring in the equasion...

#5 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:10 AM

Depends on the league. The NHL gets a large majority of its revenue through ticket sales. Most of MLB's revenue is from ticket sales, but its broadcasting revenue is more significant. On the other hand, the NFL gets most of its revenue through broadcasting.

Stadiums (stadia?) are most often built by municipalities, which rightly or wrongly believe that the prestige of hosting a professional sports team or their residents' joy at having something local to read in the sports page makes it a worthwhile civic investment.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#6 OFFLINE   Neutron

Neutron

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 08:10 PM

Personally I think all pro sports teams make too much money as it is.

#7 OFFLINE   uncdanwrong

uncdanwrong

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:21 PM

Taxpayers pay for the stadium construction in most cities!

#8 OFFLINE   sikma

sikma

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 01:14 PM

Although I agree with doing away with all sports blackouts. However, considering that I can't afford to take my boys to any pro sporting event because of the cost I watch them at home. If you lift the blackouts for football for example, no one would go and watch maybe 30% of NFL teams in person when they can watch at home, thus no one in the stands in Arizona, Miami, Cincinnati, San Diego, Detroit, Minneosta, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Atlanta....and list goes on. I guess on the flip side, if that happened maybe I could afford tickets.

#9 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 11:13 AM

Here in NJ the Giants and Jets are sold out for the next 20 years. There never has nor will there ever be a blackout for the OTA broadcast.....

The bad news is that we never get to see a double header beacause the you will ONLy get to see the Jets at 1Pm and the Giants at 4PM (or vice versa). Unless one of them plays a night game, we don't get to see many double headers although a few more have been trickling out the last few years (My Denver and LA Fox distant networks help, but CBS yanked my CBS-W feed last year........)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 11:20 AM

Although I agree with doing away with all sports blackouts. However, considering that I can't afford to take my boys to any pro sporting event because of the cost I watch them at home. If you lift the blackouts for football for example, no one would go and watch maybe 30% of NFL teams in person when they can watch at home, thus no one in the stands in Arizona, Miami, Cincinnati, San Diego, Detroit, Minneosta, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Atlanta....and list goes on. I guess on the flip side, if that happened maybe I could afford tickets.

um...Minnesota has a season ticket waiting list.....there wont be any backouts for a while.

#11 OFFLINE   uncdanwrong

uncdanwrong

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:02 PM

No blackouts for OTA home Steelers games.

#12 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:37 PM

I think blackouts on the RSN's suck and should be eliminated. After all what does the R stand for???

#13 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:58 PM

I am thinking more about baseball games on Direc Tv. Many times there are games on OTA Stations and there is absolutely no other possible way of seeing these games. NFL Football games are much different in the fact that the games are shown on CBS or Fox and it is the exact same announcers and same feed in both the teams cities. I wish they'd lift blackout rules on baseball games and let the Extra Innings subscriber choose which station we want to watch baseball on.

#14 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:17 PM

I think blackouts on the RSN's suck and should be eliminated. After all what does the R stand for???

Uh, "R" stands for Regional, which means the rights for those games are bought regionally, not nationally, hence the reason for blackouts...

#15 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:48 PM

Uh, "R" stands for Regional, which means the rights for those games are bought regionally, not nationally, hence the reason for blackouts...

Then the question is if you have a Regional Sports Channel, why does it show programming that isn't allowed in your region? After all, I paying for this channel whether the program is block or not. The Region should be the region and should not be up for creative interpretation for each event it shows.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...