Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need excel help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 02:30 PM

Hope someone here can help me.
I use Excel frequently during the day on an on & off basis, I keep my .XLS files in seperate folders pertaining to different clients. Until recently I could click on an xls file and excel would open and load the file, now when I click on the file excel opens but will not load the file, I tried the repair function included in Microsoft Office 2000 Pro, I have even deleted MSO and reinstalled it, but to no avail, All of the MS applications word, powerpoint, etc, function ok, just having a problem with excel, since I am using different folders for the files I can not set up a specific file location in options and have it work easily.

Thanks
Bob

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   retiredTech

retiredTech

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:40 PM

Have tried "right clicking" the file THEN choosing "open with" option?

#3 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 07:18 PM

Yea I tried that and everything else I can think of, I was thinking there was something embeeded in the files that was causing this so I copied some of the files and tried them on another puter and they work fine, this thing really has me bugged, one day when I went to open a file a box poped up and said something but it closed so fast I could not read it, and since then the trouble began, one thing I noticed is that before the problem I would get a breif message at the bottom of the screen saying "Requesting Virus Scan" well that don't happen anymore, I turned off the virus protection momentarily but that did nothing.

Bob

#4 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:19 PM

Are you sure the file has the .xls extension on it still? It could have been renamed foo.xls.bar, Windows will hide the .bar, and excel will not open it. Try renaming the file with .xls or open a dos window and look at it.

#5 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:27 PM

Yes the .xls extension is still there, like I said the files open on other computers, just not on mine

Bob

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:40 PM

So what you are saying is that all xls files on your computer will not open?

I have seen this problem and what was happening was that all files were starting up minimized with nothing on the Excel toolbar to access them.

Try creating a new xls file. Click the icon shown below in the attached picture, then maximize the spreadsheet again.

Close Excel and then try opening your files.

I don't know if it will work but it's worth a shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• excel.JPG

#7 OFFLINE   TBenning

TBenning

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:03 PM

The File association for the .XLS filetype was messed-up.
If using Windows 2000 or WindowsXP, fix it by using the following steps.

1) Right-click on an excel file, Choose Open with, Browse for Excel and "Choose Set as Default".
2) In any Explorer window, go to the Tools menu and Choose Folder Options.
3) Click on FileTypes tab
4) Scroll down to the .xls file type and Highlight it.
5) Click on the Advanced button
6) in the Actions box, click on Open, then Click Set as Default. (if it is not already default)
7) Click Edit...
8) Ensure that the path to Excel is correct, AND ensure there is a /E at the end of the path as in this example:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\EXCEL.EXE" /e
9) Make Sure "Use DDE" is checked.
10) DDE Message should read exactly as follows: [open("%1")]
11) Application should read: Excel
12) DDE Application not Running field should be blank
13) Topic should read: system
14) Click OK, OK, Close

That should reset everything necessary to make it start for you.

#8 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:38 PM

There's another possibility.

I have a computer that was infected with a virus that the anti-virus didn't entirely get rid of. When I double click on a TXT file, I get a "can't open" message. If I open Notepad and open the file from INSIDE Notepad, it opens fine.

Try opening the file from inside Excel.

What's happening is that someone at one point hijacked the association with a bunch of filetypes to put in their back door before actually running Notepad, word, excel, etc. I *think* my antivirus didn't remove it completely because I did NOT open TXT files with Word and the 'scrubber' was expecting Word for TXT files.

Well, it got rid of the back door, but there's still something out there looking for it. Fortunately it doesn't allow it back in.

#9 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 04:04 PM

TBenning

I followed what you posted, check all the steps and they were set correctly as you described, i closed the folder options and clicked on a .xls worksheet and it opened, but across the screen I am getting a message that windows cannnot find filename.xls, which is the file name I just opened. it is now opening the files but gives me this cannot find message although it has opened it. I have to click on the message to make it go away

Thanks
Bob

#10 OFFLINE   TBenning

TBenning

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 06:08 PM

TBenning

I followed what you posted, check all the steps and they were set correctly as you described, i closed the folder options and clicked on a .xls worksheet and it opened, but across the screen I am getting a message that windows cannnot find filename.xls, which is the file name I just opened. it is now opening the files but gives me this cannot find message although it has opened it. I have to click on the message to make it go away

Thanks
Bob

SandMan,

I'm sorry the last steps did not work correctly. It sounds like the Registry settings are not 100% correct. These can be regenerated by following the steps below. It is true this could have been damaged by an incomplete removal of a virus, but it was more likely caused by an Excel file with unusual file permissions being opened.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
Double-click My Computer.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
Click the File Types tab.
Under Registered file types, click XLS Microsoft Excel Worksheet, and then click Delete.
Click Yes to the Are you sure you want to remove this file extension? message.
Click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0

Right-click the Excel key, and then click Rename.
Type OldExcel.
Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0

Right-click the Excel key, and then click Rename.
Type OldExcel.
On the Registry menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
Start Excel, and then quit Excel.
Double-click the Excel workbook icon (or right-click the Excel workbook icon, and then click Open) to open the file.
In the Open With dialog box, click Microsoft Excel for Windows, and then click OK.

#11 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:43 AM

T Benning,
That worked, I can never fully express my gratitude for you help, this will save me numerous mouse clicks during the course of the day, I really appreciate your assistance.

Bob

#12 OFFLINE   TBenning

TBenning

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:13 PM

T Benning,
That worked, I can never fully express my gratitude for you help, this will save me numerous mouse clicks during the course of the day, I really appreciate your assistance.

Bob

You are very welcome. I find it very annoying when the computer refuses to work as it should. I've been lurking around this forum for a year, but I finally decided to "join" so I could reply to your plea for help.
For me, that is what the forums should be used for. Unfortunately too many people simply use this as a place to complain about E*, D*, and V*. I've chosen to spend more of my time elsewhere now as I don't find much use in countless threads begging for a new channel, a new software update, or a better upgrade deal for existing customers. How many threats of "I'm canceling because..." do we really need to read?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...