Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

E* vs Viacom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Who do you think is right? (273 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think is right?

1. EchoStar (193 votes [70.96%])

Percentage of vote: 70.96%

2. Viacom (24 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

3. Neither (55 votes [20.22%])

Percentage of vote: 20.22%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   Frank Z

Frank Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:50 AM

I noticed that there are a large amount of posts on the Viacom thread but there are even more "views." So for all of you folks that don't post but still want to show your support for E or Viacom, we have a simple poll. Let's see how the membership here votes.
We will never forget!:flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:06 AM

Of course, posting a poll like this here is like asking who should win the presidental election at the Republican National Convention... :)

#3 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:13 AM

Answer....neither.

Both are two souless corporations, both of which are trying to maximize profit...and the viewer is caught in the middle.

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:15 AM

Frank,

I've added the 3rd option to your poll. Hope you don't mind. :)

#5 OFFLINE   jeffwtux

jeffwtux

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:28 AM

Dish has made themselves the villain by claiming that Viacom wants 40% rate hikes and then only giving customers back $1/month. That's an outrage. So they are saying that this all over 40 cents/customer/month. I would clearly rather have all the viacom stations and pay 40 cents more a month. That's an outrage. DISH IS WRONG BY THE WAY THEY ARE HANDLING THIS $1 CREDIT. I'M ON VIACOM'S SIDE NOW. DISH IS WRONG

#6 OFFLINE   dwforslund

dwforslund

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:42 AM

Dish has made themselves the villain by claiming that Viacom wants 40% rate hikes and then only giving customers back $1/month. That's an outrage. So they are saying that this all over 40 cents/customer/month. I would clearly rather have all the viacom stations and pay 40 cents more a month. That's an outrage. DISH IS WRONG BY THE WAY THEY ARE HANDLING THIS $1 CREDIT. I'M ON VIACOM'S SIDE NOW. DISH IS WRONG

I don't think there necessarily is a simple connection between the two, but I don't think the viacom channels are worth the extra cost. The problem as I understand it is the fact that they want more money for channels that Dish doesn't want to carry or wants to extort them for the local channels which are probably much more valuable to those who get them, but less so to others. The issue isn't so clear, and I applaud them trying to keep the rates down. I won't miss the channels very much.

#7 OFFLINE   jeffwtux

jeffwtux

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:48 AM

I don't think there necessarily is a simple connection between the two, but I don't think the viacom channels are worth the extra cost. The problem as I understand it is the fact that they want more money for channels that Dish doesn't want to carry or wants to extort them for the local channels which are probably much more valuable to those who get them, but less so to others. The issue isn't so clear, and I applaud them trying to keep the rates down. I won't miss the channels very much.

How can you say there isn't a connection? That's what Charlie told us last night. He is giving us a piddly $1 as reimbursement. DON'T WE DESERVE 100% OF WHAT DISH WAS PAYING VIACOM FOR ALL OF THEIR CHANNELS???!!
DON'T WE DESERVE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT?? I applaud Dish and their efforts to hold down costs and refuse to pay what the adverstisers won't, but they need to treat customers fairly in this and not be the villain.

#8 OFFLINE   dwforslund

dwforslund

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:30 AM

How can you say there isn't a connection? That's what Charlie told us last night. He is giving us a piddly $1 as reimbursement. DON'T WE DESERVE 100% OF WHAT DISH WAS PAYING VIACOM FOR ALL OF THEIR CHANNELS???!!
DON'T WE DESERVE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT?? I applaud Dish and their efforts to hold down costs and refuse to pay what the adverstisers won't, but they need to treat customers fairly in this and not be the villain.

There is a connection, of course, but not necessarily a linear one. There are many factors that go into the cost calculation. Who is it that deserves the benefit of the doubt? Incremental costs are not available in most of the channels we get. Note also that you get $2/mo if you are in a locally affected CBS area. That is probably proportional to the reduction in number of locals received for the $5 or $6 per month.

If you don't think E* is fair then subscribe to DiredtTV or someone else.
Since I don't know the details of the negotiations and the various costs, I can't judge. I also saw that the 40% was over some period of time, so that the immediate costs may have been lower, which makes the $1 deal better. I think the issue was bigger than the cost, since they wanted them to carry channels they didn't want to carry just to have local CBS stations. I believe the problem is complex and not simply pay $X or else.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:11 AM

Good poll, but can we keep the discussion down do a dull roar? :)

JL

#10 OFFLINE   Frank Z

Frank Z

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:16 AM

The idea was to allow people to express themselves without having to post in a thread. Let's face it, there are a lot more Lurkers than there are Posters.

I really wasn't looking to start a DBS Rumble, hope everyone keeps that in mind if they due opt to share their opinion.

#11 OFFLINE   jackie50

jackie50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:22 AM

I simply look at it this way. Charlie is not a stupid man. I see absolutely no reason why he would risk losing subs based on some selfish motive. Rightly or wrongly I am taking him at his word that this is a stand for the us, the consumer. I can fully understand why those who have lost Cbs and the other channels would be upset, and would move to another provider, but I will not. If someone doesnt make a stand for us, who will?
Jackie

#12 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:26 AM

Here's a quote directly off the KUTV website:

Attention Dish Network/Echostar subscribers: KUTV deeply regrets any inconvenience to our viewers resulting from Dish Network's decision to drop KUTV. Dish Network just raised rates for many subscribers by three dollars per month, yet they are refusing to pay Viacom barely 6 cents more per month so you can continue to get all of the CBS programs, KUTV's local news, weather and sports, and all of the Viacom cable channels including MTV, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central. We are continuing to try to negotiate a fair resolution to this completely unnecessary situation, and in the meantime, we remind our viewers that our signal remains available for free over the air, as well as by subscription from DirecTV and your local cable operator. Thank you. Click here for more information.

This is the local CBS affiliate from Salt Lake City, which covers the entire state of Utah, parts of Nevada, Wyoming, and Idaho. I don't think this represents the entire issue, but it is what is being fed to the KUTV viewers.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#13 OFFLINE   greylar

greylar

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 11:06 AM

I look at it this way: I get $1 for a bunch of channels I never watch, its awesome.

#14 Guest_Roger T_*

Guest_Roger T_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2004 - 11:35 AM

If it is 6Cents as the station claims then why would Charlie be taking a 8Mllion dollar a month hit for packages plus how many million more for locals.

At this point in time I more or less hope he leaves them off unbtil June... Let the ratings be affected during sweeps in may (may?) where their advertiser rates are set for the next period.

If were advertising on them right now, I'd on the phone looking for a reductions.

Cheers

#15 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 11:37 AM

The Stock Market Poll Results (as I post this):

DISH up about 2%
VIAB down about 1%

PS If you want to see the usual 21st Century lack-of-integrity in action, read "CBS MarketWatch.com"s article on the dispute - the only quotes are from analysts praising Viacom for standing up to EchoStar ! Hmm... I can only imagine...

" This is CBS News in Canaan, where religious fanatic David is about to challenge Goliath, noted pillar of the community. Let's interview an analyst - Angela, what do you think? "
" Goliath should do everything he can to get the most out of his position in Canaan. This is another indication to his supporters that he is saying that he won't be bullied by religious fanatics. "

#16 OFFLINE   Frank Z

Frank Z

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:01 PM

Kstuart,
ROTFLMAO!

#17 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 05:34 PM

This is not a question of right and wrong, just interest.

This is a battle over programming costs. If Viacom prevails, it means the market will support higher program prices, which serves the interests of anyone with stock in Viacom or some other program supplier.

Everyone else should hope that E* prevails, because that will ultimately translate into lower subscription prices for everyone (D*, E*, and cable alike) than if Viacom prevails.

#18 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:11 PM

Everyone else should hope that E* prevails, because that will ultimately translate into lower subscription prices for everyone (D*, E*, and cable alike) than if Viacom prevails.

Similar to what I was thinking, except that instead of "lower subscription prices", it will be more like smaller 'increases', but I think that's what you meant.

Welcome to the fray, joblo. :wave:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#19 OFFLINE   comet48

comet48

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:44 PM

What makes you think Charlie is keeping the rates down? He just raised mine $3. There is no direct correlation between how much Charlie is charging us and how mush he is paying. How much he charges us is dependant upon competition from cable and D*, not based upon program cost.

Also, Cahrlie is complaining that there are cost increases from Viacom every year. Well, don't you think Charlie is going to increase our costs each year. He now has a large customer base, and his management of revenue is moving much more to manipilationof the installed base.

Lower program costs result in more profit, not lower costs to us.

#20 OFFLINE   JerryLA

JerryLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:00 PM

As a viewer I rarely watch CBS or MTV. Our household has no children so the Nickelodean issue is of no consequence to us. I have been with Dish for over 9 years and support Charlie and his move completely. I understand that the people who watch these channels are upset but......why should we the viewers pay more for programming that most of us don't watch. Let me re-phrase that: Why should we pay more for programming than "many" of us do not watch. Personally I am not offended by the price I pay for Dishnetwork programming now or even with the rate increases. If the costs go up, thats just the way it is. All in all I think Dish is the best bang for your buck! How many things can you think of that have not constantly gone up over the years or even months. I believe Charlie is making a hard stand against the discrimination shown between satellite and cable tv. Do I think this will result in a permanent loss of CBS... absolutely not. But thats just my opinion, I could be wrong!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...