Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Contracts are void

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_A Thinking Being_*

Guest_A Thinking Being_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:04 PM

With the channels being shut off due to the Dish vs Viacom dispute, your contract is void. Dish is not providing what they agreed to provide. You should be able to cancel without a fee, or sue them.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,173 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:39 PM

You must be a lawyer, but not a very good one I would venture. Read your Dish agreement. Channels come and go - get used to it.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   Jim Parker

Jim Parker

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:43 PM

Nick
Are you saying that a lawyer is a Thinking Being? :nono: You're giving lawyers way too much credit. :lol:

#4 OFFLINE   amit5roy5

amit5roy5

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:47 PM

Unfortunately, it is much more money to get a lawyer to sue Dish Network than to cancel and pay a termination fee. :( ARRG!!

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,173 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:52 PM

Nick
Are you saying that a lawyer is a Thinking Being? :nono: You're giving layers way too much credit. :lol:

Not to mention 'lawyers'! :sure:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:54 AM

With the channels being shut off due to the Dish vs Viacom dispute, your contract is void. Dish is not providing what they agreed to provide. You should be able to cancel without a fee, or sue them.

Then cancel already and begone troll!!!

Ken

#7 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:11 AM

Problem is that pesky caveat in the customer contract - prices and programming subject to change without notice...

The can still hold you to it.
If you can read this, you are too close.

#8 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 09:56 AM

Could Dish drop all the Viacom / Disney / ESPN / GE / Fox channels at once and say "hey, prices and programming subject to change without notice?"

At *some* point I expect that you could claim your contract is null and void if Dish lost a significant percentage of its programming. Of course, hiring a lawyer to fight this would cost far more than just eating any penalty involved ... :money:

#9 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:01 AM

"Could Dish drop all the Viacom / Disney / ESPN / GE / Fox channels at once and say "hey, prices and programming subject to change without notice?""

Absolutely, and you can say "tell that to my lawyer". Now, who a court will find right, that's another matter. I'd guess a sympathetic jury would find for you, but if you look at your service agreement (I haven't); there's a good chance you've waived your right to a jury trial (most companies have that in their service agreement); which itself is legally questionable and you could sue them over (which would probably head to the Supreme Court since it's been questioned so often without ever a lawsuit). It could drag on for years and eat 100's of times the contract cancellation fee; and you might not even win. While I hate them, this is what the Class Action was meant for, but the only people who seem to really end up benefitting from those are the attornies...

#10 OFFLINE   md_paul

md_paul

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:11 AM

As is stated above, the contract all Dish subscribers sign allows for channels to come and go at any time without penalty. The agreement also states that Dish is not obligated to replace the lost channels with other programming However, I did see part of the special Charlie Chat last night at 11:00pm EST (My receivers are set to auto-tune to my local Baltimore CBS O&O station at 11:00 for the evening news, and instead tuned in to the special Charlie Chat showing on that "Off-Air" channel), and someone sent in an email stating that they were a new customer and could not now receive the channels that were the reason for their subscription to Dish. They asked if they were still bound to their 1 (2?) year contract. Charlie seemed to indicate that early termination of contracts may be possible on a case-by-case issue.

- Paul

#11 OFFLINE   HeavyC

HeavyC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:12 AM

I sincerely think that Dish will release people from the contracts if this goes on beyond 2 or 3 weeks. The negative press on the company will be too great. I don't think this will last that long, but if it did Dish would most definitely have to release people from those agreements regardless of whatever wording is in the service agreement.

As much as it pains me, I'm looking into my local cable. I can get local channels in HD without using an antenna and I'll most definitely get the new Chicago Sports Network starting this fall. After seeing how Dish Network has dealt with stations like YES, I'm not convinced they'll be carrying the new Chicago Channel. To me, that's a basic necessity.

#12 Guest_Joey_*

Guest_Joey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:24 AM

people should sue dish, not for taking away channels, but for having fuzzy/grainy picture, and for not having cool hd channels that cable offers.

#13 OFFLINE   junki

junki

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:57 AM

people should sue dish, not for taking away channels, but for having fuzzy/grainy picture, and for not having cool hd channels that cable offers.

DUDE. The HD that cable offers is not real HD. If you have a fuzzy/grain picture? Is it on your locals?

#14 OFFLINE   freakmonkey

freakmonkey

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:13 AM

read your contract:

http://www.dishnetwo...RCA/index.shtml

#15 OFFLINE   greggg

greggg

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:49 AM

So freak if Charlie lost all his programming we would still be obligated to pay? No, at some point the terms of the contract get rewritten by a court because of bad faith. At this point it's a loser because it is only a few channels and he is giving compensation. Taken to ridiculous levels though at some point a court would say Charlie is acting in bad faith and would allow people to walk w/o paying a fee.

#16 OFFLINE   freakmonkey

freakmonkey

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 12:08 PM

Then hire an attorney and sue E* the contract says

G. Changes in Services offered. DISH Network reserves the right to change the Services that we offer, and our prices or fees related to such Services at any time. If the change affects you, we will provide you notice of the change and its effective date. The notice may be provided on your billing statement or by other communication permitted under Section 9B. In the event of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages or other Services, you understand and agree that we have no obligation to replace or supplement the programming, programming packages or other Services previously offered that have been deleted, rearranged or otherwise changed. You further understand and agree you will not be entitled to any refund because of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages, or other Services previously offered.

So yeah people are SOL. Now if something as grave as described above the loss of all channels then E* would have to let people out of contracts and so on. but what we are looking at is not that bad.

#17 OFFLINE   HeavyC

HeavyC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 12:38 PM

That may be in there, but I would doubt how legally binding it really is. When something happens that fundamentally changes the nautre of the agreement, and you were not given fair warning of that change (which no regular Dish subscriber was) that really goes a long way to erode that. Dish isn't fufilling the contract in good faith.

Good faith would have been informing customers via mail, email, and commericals of the impending change weeks ahead of time to prepare them which they did not do. Most Dish customers simply tried to watch their favorite channel yesterday and were blindsided. I think we forget that, since we follow the company so closely here. Joe Schmo certainly had no clue what was going on.

Dish acted wrecklessly, and failed to inform their customers of the changes as they are required to do. That in and of itself would probably be enough to void the contract. Dish knows that, and if this thing lasts more than a couple of weeks, you can bet they will start voiding contracts. The last thing they need is the bad PR which would come with forcing people to stay. I can see the articles being written already.

#18 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:39 PM

HeavyC - if you REALLY want out of your contract with Dish - pay the $240 (or whatever it is) cancellation fee, return your equipment (if it is leased), and go on to cable or DirectTv. If you holler and make enough noise about it - you MIGHT (but no guarantee here) be able to get Dish to waive your cancellation fee.

"Good Faith" on notification - I guess you haven't watched Charlie Chats before this week either. Because I certainly remember these coming up. Not everybody has an email address, and all that most folks get from Dish in the US Postal mail is their MONTHLY bill / statement (some people don't even get that - Annual subs, for example).

I wouldn't get upset about this just yet. If they're gone for a couple weeks - then there is plenty of good reason to leave.

Yes - I'm an "Old-Timer" - I've been with Dish since Oct 2000 (or was that 1999 - it was when Model 4700 receivers and the Dish500 were still pretty new) - I saw the great "Disney - Time-Warner" cutoff on my local cable system - I put a VCR on my OTA tuned to ABC to seamlessly pass it on my Dish / lifeline cable at the time. We'll survive - and it's just TV, after all...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#19 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,813 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:53 PM

The attorney fees would cost more than the cancellation fees.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#20 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:59 PM

Feel free to hire a lwayer to sue E* and/or Viacom.

I'm sure you won't wind up spending more than the $250 cancellation fee.

With a lawyer getting $400 an hour nowadays, you can talk to him for just over 30 minutes, after which he'll tell you that you have no case. And you'll be back at square one.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

spam firewall