Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

501 Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kenster

Kenster

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 12:15 PM

On the 501, or any other PVR that can record two shows at once AND allow you to watch one recorded show while recording another one) how long do you have to wait before you can begin viewing a show that is being recorded? If you start recording "Friends" at 7:00pm and at the same time record "Survivor" on the other network, can you start watching the recorded section of "Friends" at 7:05?(while still recording "Survivor") In effect, this would be recording two shows while watching a recorded show. This would be almost as good as watching it live.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 12:31 PM

You can start watching anytime you want, its on the fly. But remember the 501 is only a single tuner thus you could only record or watch one live show at a time.

The 721 will let you record 2 shows at the same time.

#3 OFFLINE   Kenster

Kenster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 01:26 PM

Scott, Then I assume UTV would allow me to do this without the need for a second receiver, since UTV is dual receiver,right? I don't know if I want to wait for the 721. Also, the 501 and 721 will only be good on Dish, right? I'm leaning toward DirecTV, which would leave me with UTV or Tivo. Is there another DVR that will work with D*TV, even if it requires an extra receiver? But I'm still trying to figure out something for my dad-in-law who just got the basic Dish setup. If we use his existing receiver, but add a 501, then he'll be able to record while watching a live show on another channel. OR we can just get a second receiver to run the VCR, right?

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,713 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 May 2002 - 02:10 PM

The 501 is a SINGLE TUNER - i.e. it can record OR display live TV (and not both at once), or you can record one show, and watch a previously recorded show at the same time.

Getting a 2nd receiver (possibly hooked to the VCR) would allow your Dad to watch one show live (from the 2nd receiver) while recording another show on the 501 at the same time.

Ultimate TV and DTivo would allow you to watch one show live while recording another show, since they are 2 TUNER receivers.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 May 2002 - 03:42 PM

Yes, but if I recall correctly, on the 721, Ultimate TV, and DirecTivo, you have to run two cables, not one, from the switch.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 05:41 AM

Correct, Z'loth.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

spam firewall