Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Welcome to the new HDTV Tivo DVR Discussion Forum!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 04:33 PM

With the upcoming release of the new DirecTV HD Tivo, DBSTalk is proud to be one of the first discussion sites to open an entire forum dedicated to this new innovative product. The announced release date is March 30, 2004 and several of our members will be the first to get one off the assembly line. More information, reviews and news events will be available the closer we get to the release date.

Stay tuned!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MedMech

MedMech

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:09 PM

Chris, are you losing any sleep waiting for your HDTivo? If I was one of the first I would be.

#3 OFFLINE   Throwbot

Throwbot

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:21 PM

I have been waiting for 3 months for the 921. The HD Tivo looks good.
Smaller , presumably more stable , two OTA HD imputs (split inside which is nice) Name base recordings.
I am a Dish Charley fan, but at the same price isn't the Tivo just a better product than the 921 ?
Please post your opinions,
Should I stick with the 921 or jump ship and go with the HD TIVO? :confused:

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:24 PM

Chris, are you losing any sleep waiting for your HDTivo? If I was one of the first I would be.

You better believe it! :D

#5 OFFLINE   MedMech

MedMech

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:37 PM

If I happen to get my paws on one at retail I'll grab it but I probably won't get in a bidding war.

#6 OFFLINE   Neutron

Neutron

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:51 PM

I have been waiting for 3 months for the 921. The HD Tivo looks good.
Smaller , presumably more stable , two OTA HD imputs (split inside which is nice) Name base recordings.
I am a Dish Charley fan, but at the same price isn't the Tivo just a better product than the 921 ?

Dude, I would jump ship now and go with something much more stable. I'm getting my first SD Dtivo installed tomorrow and I can't wait! I'm coming off of a DISH 510. It was bleh and the single tuner sucked.
D* subscriber 3/04 on
E* subscriber 7/02 to 3/04

Arcade Caretaker at Satelliteguys.us

#7 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:36 PM

Im heading to my local Best Buy on 3/30....Ordering one with a Triple LNB dish to replace my original single LNB one and an OTA antenna while Im at it..:D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#8 OFFLINE   Neutron

Neutron

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:42 PM

The triple-LNB dish looks AWESOME!!

If I get an HDTV again I will check into the HD Dtivo.

I am so glad I made the switch to D*!!
D* subscriber 3/04 on
E* subscriber 7/02 to 3/04

Arcade Caretaker at Satelliteguys.us

#9 OFFLINE   BobJ2004

BobJ2004

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 11:53 PM

The Tripple LNB is a 18x20" not like the giant sized Super Dish.

The HD Tivo has been going for $899 at several places that are doing Pre-orders. Thats $100 LESS than the 921 and since its the same OS as the SD Tivo, I bet it works with never few bugs unlike that other production that the other company makes.

Ma ny also do not need a 2nd dish to get ALL of there locals, Dish puts many of the smaller locals on a 2nd dish, that looks ugly on your roof (can you say Mickey mouse).

Anyone got any pictures of this new HD Tivo? Inside and out? Newer screen prints of the HD OS?

#10 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 12:59 PM

Shouldn't this Forum be called "DirecTV HD Tivo DVR...", to keep a continuity with the DirecTV SD Tivo and DircTV general forums? Plus, by not mentioning DirecTV in the Forum name, confused Dish subs might come here looking for 921 info.

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Jacob S
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

#11 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 02:58 PM

Shouldn't this Forum be called "DirecTV HD Tivo DVR...", to keep a continuity with the DirecTV SD Tivo and DircTV general forums? Plus, by not mentioning DirecTV in the Forum name, confused Dish subs might come here looking for 921 info.

Good point. I've renamed the forum.

#12 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 09:06 PM

Throwbot, I am a 5 year DISH customer and I was going to get a 921 but after reading about the HD TiVo I am jumping ship. My SD TiVo install is set for Friday and I have a HD Tivo on pre-order. I say go for it!

#13 OFFLINE   martin1

martin1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 10:33 PM

I wish I didn't have another month to go on my E* subcription or I would switch
today to D*. Maybe by the time it's out the end of month will be able to see all the reviews on the Hdtivo. I don't have a committment to E* I have just been paying
by the year.

#14 OFFLINE   the_tx_dude

the_tx_dude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 11:40 PM

I am thinking about making the switch to Direct. I currently have a year contract with Dish which expires this summer. However, if I can sell my 921 on Ebay for the $1300 recent going rate I can justify breaking contract and getting HD Tivo. I figure I have to pull the trigger before Dish makes a masss release of the buggy 921. Anyone want a $1300 (or more) buggy 921 with no blue line problem

#15 OFFLINE   CAL7

CAL7

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:51 AM

I also am very interested in swapping my 921 for the HD Tivo. I have never had DirecTV or even a Tivo, so I could be missing a lot; but here is my snapshot of the differences I would see by going to the DirecTV HD Tivo. Critiques and additions welcome.
  • Additional ATSC input
  • Loss of potential 1394 connectivity
  • Slightly ($1-2) higher subscription costs
  • Real PVR/DVR programming capability
  • Get to take down the 2nd dish at 61.5 for CBS
  • Fox HD coming
  • Consumer-level reliability vs. year long beta testing
  • New customer price breaks
  • I would miss out on the seemingly monthly Charlie panics of "Programmer XYZ is charging outrageous fees, so we will have to drop them." (Ref: Turner, Viacom, YES, ....)

#16 OFFLINE   CAL7

CAL7

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:55 AM

Is there truth to the legend that D* compresses the HD stations more than E*? Is there a discernible difference in PQ?

A minor (and hopefully temporary) annoyance with the 921 is the constant running of the fan and HDD. Anybody know if the HD Tivo does this?

#17 OFFLINE   hongcho

hongcho

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:49 PM

> Is there truth to the legend that D* compresses the HD stations more than E*? Is there a discernible difference in PQ?

AFAIK, DirecTV does allocate less bandwidth to an HD channel than E*. However, I've heard that E* is playing with the compression as well.

Hong.
i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe

#18 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:30 PM

I also am very interested in swapping my 921 for the HD Tivo. I have never had DirecTV or even a Tivo, so I could be missing a lot; but here is my snapshot of the differences I would see by going to the DirecTV HD Tivo. Critiques and additions welcome.

• Additional ATSC input
  • Loss of potential 1394 connectivity
  • Slightly ($1-2) higher subscription costs
  • Real PVR/DVR programming capability
  • Get to take down the 2nd dish at 61.5 for CBS
  • Fox HD coming
  • Consumer-level reliability vs. year long beta testing
  • New customer price breaks
  • I would miss out on the seemingly monthly Charlie panics of "Programmer XYZ is charging outrageous fees, so we will have to drop them." (Ref: Turner, Viacom, YES, ....)

sunday ticket in HD
nfl channel with hd highlights if D* has that in hd like V*

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:42 PM

[*]I would miss out on the seemingly monthly Charlie panics of "Programmer XYZ is charging outrageous fees, so we will have to drop them." (Ref: Turner, Viacom, YES, ....)
[/list]

Sorry but the same thing happens at DirecTV too. In fact the ESPN renewal is coming up and there could be an outage of those. (probably not though)
Mike Richardson

spam firewall