Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Picture Quality?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mjferguson

mjferguson

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 04:06 PM

My main concern is always PQ. How will this unit compare to the HTL-HD and HD300. I watch a lot of SD along with HD and want the picture quality to be outstanding just like the two mentioned above if I shell out $900. Recording is great, but PQ is #1 on my list.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 06:42 PM

I see no reason why the PQ wouldn't be as good as the other HD receivers. At least for the DirecTV side of the unit. The OTA tuners should be good as well, but there will be an mpeg conversion to store it onto the hard drive, like the standalone TiVos. So there may be a little degradation in PQ. This is all conjecture at this point.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 11:33 PM

I agree. The PQ should be just fine. The difference (if any) would probably be negligible.

#4 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 17 March 2004 - 03:11 PM

The OTA tuners should be good as well, but there will be an mpeg conversion to store it onto the hard drive, like the standalone TiVos. So there may be a little degradation in PQ.

I don't think so. My understanding is that the unit will record the OTA digital bitstream, just like it does for the sat channels, so there should be no PQ changes at all. This is different than the standalone Tivo units, which have to do a conversion from analog signal to digital. HD broadcasts are already digital.

joe

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:21 PM

Okay, I can buy that. I'm still in an analog state of mind when it comes to OTA. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 Guest_Snakeyes_*

Guest_Snakeyes_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:46 AM

While the HR10-250 has excellent quality there is an appreciable difference in picture quality on a high-end wide screen system . The difference was enough for me to add back the HD receiver for normal viewing keeping the HR10-250 for recording and occasional use when I need to use the pause/playback functions.

spam firewall