Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remote file access

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:32 PM

My home computer has tons and tons of mp3 files on it.

I'd like to be able to stream those to my work computer as if they were local.

I do this for my other home computers by just mapping the drive to the shared directory on the host computer holding the files. Can I do this long distance? If so, what ports would I need to open up on my router for send/receive?

Right now I just have an FTP server so I can grab the files and move them back and forth. Windows XP allows me to create a folder that can be browsed as if it were local, but programs don't seem to treat it like such. I can browse the mp3's in winamp for instance, but they don't load and run.

Any body have any solutions for this?

I'm mainly looking at music streaming... the connection speed is fast enough to support this.

Thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 10:22 AM

Have considered the security implications????

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 10:38 AM

You could do PC Anywhere or similar software and simply control your home desktop from your work PC and have access to all of your home files and applications.

#4 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 10:52 AM

You could do PC Anywhere or similar software and simply control your home desktop from your work PC and have access to all of your home files and applications.

Or if you have Windows XP Pro, it has built-in remote control, you don't need other software.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:36 PM

I'm not looking for remote control (at least I don't think I am).

The thing I specifically want to do is to open up Winamp on my work computer, and use it to play MP3 files located on my home computer without first having to transfer them over.

Right now I can browse the home computer using FTP, but if I try loading a music file in Winamp, it first transfers the entire file over to my work computer. I'd prefer some sort of immediate streaming software instead, or perhaps some other server solution so these home files are treated as local.

Have considered the security implications????

I'm not really worried about this, but I'm not stupid either. The computer that is being shared only has mp3's on it which are all backed up. Its also password protected and behind a firewall that only currently allows FTP (and not annonymous users either).

#6 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:14 PM

I'm not looking for remote control (at least I don't think I am).

The thing I specifically want to do is to open up Winamp on my work computer, and use it to play MP3 files located on my home computer without first having to transfer them over.

How about this freeware (GPL'ed) software I found:

EDNA

What is edna?

edna allows you to access your MP3 collection from any networked computer. This software streams your MP3s via HTTP to any MP3 player that supports playing off a remote connection (e.g. Winamp, FreeAmp, Sonique, XMMS).

edna supports:

* Browsing your music collection from a remote computer.
* URL support to allow people to stream specific songs.
* Automatic playlist construction for entire directories of songs, including a "shuffle" ability.
* The merging of multiple music collections while keeping the files on the remote computer.

While any silly web server can do this (serve up MP3s), there are two cool features about edna:

* The pages are dynamically constructed, adjusting to directory structure and the files in those directories. This is much nicer than using simple directory indexing. While the dynamic file list could be done with various CGI or PHP-like tools, the dynamic directories would be a lot harder.
* This is the coolest part... Rather than directly serving up an MP3, the software serves up a playlist. This gets passed to your player (e.g. WinAmp) which turns around with an HTTP request to stream the MP3. I must give credit to Geoff for this one :-)

When constructing a page for a directory, edna will list all subdirectories, MP3 song files (.mp3 extensions), playlists (.m3u extensions), certain other types of music and video files (such as .wav), and images. All other files will be ignored.

edna can automatically create play lists for individual directories of songs, and all directories recursively. These lists can also be shuffled (by edna, rather than your player).

Your MP3 player must be able to recognize .m3u files, and your browser must know to pass .m3u files to your player. Your player must be capable of handling URLs within a playlist. I've tested this with WinAmp, which definitely meets these needs.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#7 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:53 PM

Wow... that might be exactly what I'm looking for. I'll play with it over the weekend and let you know how it works.

#8 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 10:08 PM

As another alternative, you might consider shoutcast.

http://www.shoutcast.com/download/

spam firewall