Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Move" to get locals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kmm

kmm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:21 AM

I live south of Boston and I have been denied by the Providence station to receive the CBS - HD. I have read you can "move" in order to qualify for the HDTV.
How do I "move" do I just change my address with D*TV
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:45 AM

This is a grey area of ethics. Anyway, you need to find an address that does qualify for the distant networks. Then you call DirecTV and give them that as your service address keeping your billing address the same. Lately, this hasn't been discussed very much. So, if this thread gets removed you'll know why.

Do you not have a CBS local broadcasting in HD?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 876 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 20 March 2004 - 08:13 PM

Remember if you move too far away you are moving out of your local rsn area.

#4 OFFLINE   Skip Towne

Skip Towne

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:06 AM

What is rsn? Is that like DMA?

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:00 PM

RSN = Regional Sports Network. I's the sports channel for each geographical area in the country.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   mebedaman

mebedaman

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:01 PM

Hey guys,

I have a similar "problem". A couple questions for you:

Do I need to "move" to a legitimate physical address that actually exists? Does this need to be someone I know?

Do I call the D* moving service number, or do I just need to contact any D* CSR?

When I call them, do I have to tell them that I will install my dish on my own so that an installer doesn't come out?

I have searched and searched the internet (and this forum) for these answers, but couldn't find anything. Please let me know any other adverse consequences that could arise.

Thanks!

#7 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 876 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:42 AM

Hey guys,

I have a similar "problem". A couple questions for you:

Do I need to "move" to a legitimate physical address that actually exists? Does this need to be someone I know?

Do I call the D* moving service number, or do I just need to contact any D* CSR?

When I call them, do I have to tell them that I will install my dish on my own so that an installer doesn't come out?

I have searched and searched the internet (and this forum) for these answers, but couldn't find anything. Please let me know any other adverse consequences that could arise.

Thanks!

Just call a regular CSR and say you want to change your service address to whatever.Tell them to you want to keep your old address as your mailing address. Tell them you are at your service address now and are all hooked up and ready to change the programming for this location and add the networks. Remember this will change your address for local sports team.You get the RSN for the service address and will determine which area you are in for local pro teams.

#8 OFFLINE   mebedaman

mebedaman

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:06 AM

Remember this will change your address for local sports team.You get the RSN for the service address and will determine which area you are in for local pro teams.

Exactly. :)

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: One more concern -- should I make sure to leave the phone line unplugged after I "move"? What about DirecTivo?

#9 OFFLINE   GutBomb

GutBomb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:16 PM

don't worry about the phone line. i live 150 miles from chicago and "moved" there about a month ago. the tivo just does it's thing like there is nothing different.

#10 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 876 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:06 PM

Just leave it plugged in,D* won't ask for phone number.

If they do just tell them it stays the same.

I think if you get NFLST a phone line must be connected.Not positive on that one.

#11 OFFLINE   myfins1

myfins1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:35 PM

I am contemplating a "move" to key west. Some things I am concerned with prior to moving. I did a check for Distant LA & NY feeds and it states that I am eligible for all Distants. I also did a check for locals and it states we are pleased to offer the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale locals for your zip code. My question is, can I get both locals and distant feeds simultaneously? I am also a big Miami Dolphins fan and am concerned about blackouts issues. I did a check for this zip on NFL ST and it states The 33041 ZIP Code is not in any team's home territory. Great, I will see all FINS games. My question is, I currently live up in North FL and won't be physically moving for a few more weeks. If I do a move now with my service address, are the miami locals spot beam going to reach Jacksonville area? Anyone in Jacksonville, currently already "moved" to Key West? Thanks for your replies.

#12 OFFLINE   cktb2793

cktb2793

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:59 PM

I am contemplating a "move" to key west. Some things I am concerned with prior to moving. I did a check for Distant LA & NY feeds and it states that I am eligible for all Distants. I also did a check for locals and it states we are pleased to offer the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale locals for your zip code. My question is, can I get both locals and distant feeds simultaneously? I am also a big Miami Dolphins fan and am concerned about blackouts issues. I did a check for this zip on NFL ST and it states The 33041 ZIP Code is not in any team's home territory. Great, I will see all FINS games. My question is, I currently live up in North FL and won't be physically moving for a few more weeks. If I do a move now with my service address, are the miami locals spot beam going to reach Jacksonville area? Anyone in Jacksonville, currently already "moved" to Key West? Thanks for your replies.

I "live" in Key West as well. You can get both the Miami locals and the E/W feeds at the same time however in Central Florida the spot beam for the Miami locals is so weak that it gives a horrible choppy picture that is impossible to watch. So I just have the E/W Feeds and don't even bother getting the regular Miami locals that you could get in Key West. so you probably would have even worse picture or no signal from the Miami locals in Jacksonville.

They E/W Feeds will come in GREAT though.

#13 OFFLINE   myfins1

myfins1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:06 PM

I am not certain what your signals are, but I am getting 80s for signal strength on transponder 26 which is the one used to broadcast miami locals. This seems like it should give u a decent picture. I get great picture with an 80s signal on other channels. Just some thought. I am just going to test it out. Currently I cannot get good signal for Jax locals, because I cannot tune the 119 sat for chit. I get 98s with the 101 bird. And like I said, I get 80s for transponder 26. I am curious of your signal strength on 26. Just a thought. Anyone else have issues receiving miami locals, that are outside of that area a little ways? Anyone in Jax "moved" to miami or keys?? Thanks for your input CKT!

#14 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 876 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:39 PM

I live I-75 and Rt 40 in Florida.
Transponder 12 is 35%
Transponder 26 is 0%
One is Miami and the other is West Palm Beach.
Jax is a good 50-60 miles north of me.How are you Getting 80% on trans 26 andI get 0%.
All other trans are 85%-100%.

#15 OFFLINE   myfins1

myfins1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:52 PM

I live I-75 and Rt 40 in Florida.
Transponder 12 is 35%
Transponder 26 is 0%
One is Miami and the other is West Palm Beach.
Jax is a good 50-60 miles north of me.How are you Getting 80% on trans 26 andI get 0%.
All other trans are 85%-100%.

Well that is a good point. I just checked again and it is at 75. I am using an oval dish. This may make a difference. I did "move" today and for the miami channels, it is stating program not available in your area. My research tells me this is not the message I should be seeing if I do not live within the proper foot print. It should state "searching for signal" but it is not. I have considered getting the larger 32" dish. I am not certain if it was reset properly by DTV. Not available in your area usually means it is a guide byte. I might be wrong. Are you using an 18" dish or an oval? I looked to see if there was a transponder 26 coming from north of here, but I do not see any on that transponder except for Texas. I am getting solid signals across the board for the 101 sat. 96-98 average across all transponders except a few. I will list them here. 4=0 spot beam, 12=0, 18=0, 20= 59, 26=77. The 0's are spot beams I wouldn't expect to get given my proximity to the beams. 12 baffles me somewhat, seeing I am getting something on 20, which it says 12/20 on the palm beach beam, so it appears. 28 which I believe is orlando, I get a 100 strength. Yesterday 26 was 82, but bad weather today. I have thought about re-aiming the oval and set it up as if it were a regular 18" without tilt, pointing it to the 18" degree and azimuth. I am only interested on recieving from the 101 bird. I just want the miami locals. But shouldn't it say searching for signal if I am not in the foot print. Just not sure If I should be calling Directv back and asking why I am not getting a picture. I will try tomorrow for the re-aiming to see if that helps any. We will see. Thanks to everyone who might like to put some input into this chat!

#16 OFFLINE   cktb2793

cktb2793

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:20 AM

Well that is a good point. I just checked again and it is at 75. I am using an oval dish. This may make a difference. I did "move" today and for the miami channels, it is stating program not available in your area. My research tells me this is not the message I should be seeing if I do not live within the proper foot print. It should state "searching for signal" but it is not. I have considered getting the larger 32" dish. I am not certain if it was reset properly by DTV. Not available in your area usually means it is a guide byte. I might be wrong. Are you using an 18" dish or an oval? I looked to see if there was a transponder 26 coming from north of here, but I do not see any on that transponder except for Texas. I am getting solid signals across the board for the 101 sat. 96-98 average across all transponders except a few. I will list them here. 4=0 spot beam, 12=0, 18=0, 20= 59, 26=77. The 0's are spot beams I wouldn't expect to get given my proximity to the beams. 12 baffles me somewhat, seeing I am getting something on 20, which it says 12/20 on the palm beach beam, so it appears. 28 which I believe is orlando, I get a 100 strength. Yesterday 26 was 82, but bad weather today. I have thought about re-aiming the oval and set it up as if it were a regular 18" without tilt, pointing it to the 18" degree and azimuth. I am only interested on recieving from the 101 bird. I just want the miami locals. But shouldn't it say searching for signal if I am not in the foot print. Just not sure If I should be calling Directv back and asking why I am not getting a picture. I will try tomorrow for the re-aiming to see if that helps any. We will see. Thanks to everyone who might like to put some input into this chat!

Here are my Sat 101 (A) spot beam strengths:

4 - 0
12 - 82
18 - 0
20 - 100
26 - 32
28 - 100

Like I said, I'm in Orlando and when I first "moved" to Key West, I got the Miami locals but they were very choppy and almos impossible to watch. Last night I added locals again just to see if it would look any better and all I got was the message that the programming was not available in my area, so I turned them back off.

I wouldn't call DirectTv and complain if I were you, that might make them realize where you are and end up having your E/W Feeds cut off. There's just no way you're going to get the Miami locals all the way up in Jacksonville.

#17 OFFLINE   myfins1

myfins1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:47 AM

I am surprised you are only getting a 32. I checked just now, and my 26 transponder is showing an 80. Just amazezed at the difference. It was worth a try. I am getting locals free right now any way, with a new sub package. I can always kill when promo is over. If I were to call DTV I was just going to say i tuned to a local channel and it states, channel not available. This happened when I first turned on Jax locals. They re-hit card and now I got Jax locals. I might try switching back to just an 18" dish and see what transponder 26 gets me when pointing only at the 101 bird. I am not certain if that makes a difference in my signal strength. I am just amazed I have an 80 and not able to receive the programming.

#18 OFFLINE   myfins1

myfins1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:12 PM

Anyone have a zip for an area that auto qualifies for distants and falls under orlando dma? Would like to get a DMA set of locals. Currently i cannot get 119 good signal in Jax so I cannot get good reception on locals. Any help is appreciated.

#19 OFFLINE   agof95

agof95

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:18 AM

[quote name='GutBomb']don't worry about the phone line. i live 150 miles from chicago and "moved" there about a month ago. the tivo just does it's thing like there is nothing different.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='agof95']
I'm assuming you initially set your service up at a locale other than Chicago.

I set my service up for the first time at a locale other than where my
phone is. Will Directtv know when my TIVO makes it's initial dial up that
the phone number isn't the one on the account?

Thanks for any advice.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GutBomb']directv does not check the caller id. so don't worry
about it.

#20 OFFLINE   biz

biz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 01:40 PM

My friend moved to downtown new york city. Got the new york feed since it is not a spot beam. Not sure if there is a difference on what he did and finding an address that qualifies as far as what network feeds you'll see. Probably the same.

spam firewall