Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rumor: YES Coming soon to E*

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:10 AM

It will be that way all the time. Not just for the Japan series
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:39 AM

Yeah, we had plenty of YES Network in EI last year.

ESPN(2) doesn't have exclusive national rights much any more. I think only on sundays, now.

DirecTV still has the Yankees replay today and tomorrow on their online EI schedule with channel TBA. It is not listed in their EPG as of now. Another DirecTV trick is make you check the EPG all day long sometimes. :)

#23 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:23 AM

DirecTV now has the Yankees/Devil Rays game tomorrow at 5am ET listed on their Sports Schedule channel(s) as being on EI 754.

The website is apparently totally in error as far as the month of March goes.

This would be a good time for DISH Network to put it up tomorrow, if they have contracts in place, but contract may not take effect until next month.

#24 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 02:47 PM

Hey John, On Channel 220 the game this morning was supposed to be on 754 but sure nuff come 5am no YES feed and I had to settle for the canned ESPN feed with announcers in Bristol.

I have not looked at 220 or 753 since yesterday, but have been told it lists tomorrows game, not todays.

#25 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 02:50 PM

I have not looked at 220 or 753 since yesterday, but have been told it lists tomorrows game, not todays.

Your right...It was 2am when I read 220 and thought it said Tuesday. Damn I knew I should have had caffeine first....:D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#26 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:41 PM

What sucks is that even though we don't get YES in the NY area on Dish, the ESPN2 feed is blacked out here on Dish (for this mornings Yankee opener in Japan). WTF?

Oblio98,

It matters NOT that YES is not available on Dish. What matters is that YES has EXCLUSIVE rights to ALL IN Market Yankees fans. This means that NO Yankee's games can be carried on any other carrier unless YES Sells or grants a national carrier all local rights to a game for any and all subscribers in the Yankee's Local regional designated Market, which is ALL of New York State, and parts of the Tri-CITY around NYC.

Almost all Yankee games on YES are exclusive in market, whether you have access to YES or NOT, on your particular Multichannel providers system.

John

#27 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:06 PM

Down with The YES Network and Down with the Yankees this year.

#28 OFFLINE   ScottieOne

ScottieOne

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:19 AM

I hate to be the token pessimist. Seriously, who are we all kidding? We're not getting YES. The only thing that's been accomplished both here and on Satellite Guys is that we probably have given the Dish employees that browse these sites a good laugh. That's about it.

#29 Guest_nyc_*

Guest_nyc_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2004 - 12:27 AM

Let’s get this deal done. It’s been 2 years now and no yes; isn’t that enough? Will it ever happen? The reason that I have kept dish network for the last 2 years is because my buddy has DTV and I can always go to his house to watch a game. I didn’t worry much because I thought that eventually a deal would have been reached between Yes and Dish.

It seems more and more likely that it is just never going to happen. Will this be another year that Dish will not have YES? Are the Yankees the only baseball team that can not be seen on Dish, well at least in the NY area? Now that MLB package is on dish I will be able to watch all the freaking baseball teams except for the one I root for. This is really pissing me off.

#30 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:39 AM

too little..too late.. There may be a handfull of new subs but I would think the diehards left for D* long ago.
HarryD

#31 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:44 AM

too little..too late.. There may be a handfull of new subs but I would think the diehards left for D* long ago.

I agree with this, but thinking about it, I'll bet that Dish is getting almost no new subs in Yankees territory. If a potential satellite sub can choose between "D* TC+ / locals / Yankees" or "E* AT120 / locals / No Yankees" for around the same price, I'll bet that in almost all cases the new sub will choose D*, even if they aren't really a Yankees fan.

If E* is getting creamed in new sub aquisitions in the NYC area, that may explain their willingness to continue negotiating with YES. Doesn't mean that Dish will add the channel, but it does mean there is still a chance.

#32 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:53 AM

It don't sound like there is much to negotiate. The price and apparently the package were set by the arbitration. There maybe much we don't know about this situation, including whether a contract exists or not.

#33 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:12 AM

If E* is getting creamed in new sub aquisitions in the NYC area, that may explain their willingness to continue negotiating with YES. Doesn't mean that Dish will add the channel, but it does mean there is still a chance.

I would think this is more of a reason to terminate negotiations.

In NYC and the surrounding areas, there isn't much of a new sub market left. Anyone who would get a satellite probably did it by now when Cablevision didn't carry YES.

E* is probably making a good business decision by just throwing in the towel on NY subs and not spending the money.

I jumped to D* two years ago after having given E* 1 1/2 years to work something out w/YES.
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#34 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:48 AM

Nah, I don't buy that argument...... Only 20% of the market has satellite.... that leaves 80% to still be mined. I agree though that Yankee fans,and there are a LOT of them here, will NOT look at E*.

Then again, Met fans like me might LIKE the idea of sticking it to George by keeping those eyeballs away from the channel.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 12:41 PM

Bob,

Keep in mind in the NY Metro area, most people cannot get a south-western view, or can't mount a dish on a building, or are blocked by mountains or trees.

I think you're looking in the 40% of the market range for eligible satellite customers out of the 100% theoretical market. Of that 40%, 50% most likely have jumped into it (w/D* or E*), the others are happy with Cablevision (or TW in uptown Manhattan).

I think there are still more potential subs out there, but not enough for it to be worth the cost of YES to E*. They will be willing to sacrifice the remainder of the market, I think (truth be told in the evidence they have not inked a contract yet).

Mind you, I am just "assuming" these numbers and would love to have more solid evidence if it's available.

In the end, having YES on E* will be good for YES and makes me happy....but I don't think it will happen any time soon (and if I'm wrong, it's only a good thing for fans).
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

#36 Guest_Un-lucky_*

Guest_Un-lucky_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2004 - 12:54 PM

Bob,

Keep in mind in the NY Metro area, most people cannot get a south-western view, or can't mount a dish on a building, or are blocked by mountains or trees.

I think you're looking in the 40% of the market range for eligible satellite customers out of the 100% theoretical market. Of that 40%, 50% most likely have jumped into it (w/D* or E*), the others are happy with Cablevision (or TW in uptown Manhattan).

I think there are still more potential subs out there, but not enough for it to be worth the cost of YES to E*. They will be willing to sacrifice the remainder of the market, I think (truth be told in the evidence they have not inked a contract yet).

Mind you, I am just "assuming" these numbers and would love to have more solid evidence if it's available.

In the end, having YES on E* will be good for YES and makes me happy....but I don't think it will happen any time soon (and if I'm wrong, it's only a good thing for fans).

The new york market is very multi cultural..E* has a HUGE advantage on international customers..they may not need YES

#37 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:26 PM

The new york market is very multi cultural..E* has a HUGE advantage on international customers..they may not need YES

You are correct in that the signing of a contract with YES will not impact these customers.

Also, in NY, the need to have two dishes to get the international channels will also impact the available market as getting a view in NYC and the surrounding area is very tough. In the city, you have the buildings (all 5 boroughs) and in the suburbs, you have trees, obstacles, mountains, etc.

In summation, it still doesn't pay for E* to sign a contract w/YES, but for those customers who want it, I hope I'm wrong.

#38 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:36 PM

One other deciding factor may be the Extra Innings issue. To make it a complete package, I think E* would "have" to have YES. The problem now is that the season has started.....and still no deal.

My gut still says there will be no YES for a little while even with the arbitration w/Cablevision resolved. Somewhere in the $1.92 per sub range I think.

#39 Guest_Un-lucky_*

Guest_Un-lucky_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:42 PM

You are correct in that the signing of a contract with YES will not impact these customers.

Also, in NY, the need to have two dishes to get the international channels will also impact the available market as getting a view in NYC and the surrounding area is very tough. In the city, you have the buildings (all 5 boroughs) and in the suburbs, you have trees, obstacles, mountains, etc.

In summation, it still doesn't pay for E* to sign a contract w/YES, but for those customers who want it, I hope I'm wrong.

The newyork dma is huge includes parts of pa 1/2 of new jersey parts of upstate newyork(hudson valley)

#40 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:18 AM

No sign of YES Network in the E* EI schedule.

Signs would be games on the 6th and 10th in the package and they are not.

Of course, no sign of the Victory Sports one or The RSTN via FSN Midwest alternate. The latter will probably show up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...