Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Klez Worm

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 03:10 PM

How many of you have been sent this worm in your e-mail?

It seems to me that virus activity has been "kicked up a notch" with the new variants of this worm. I rarely get viruses by email. until recently. I have been sent the Klez worm through four different mailing lists plus two individual emails. One list has sent it out over 7 times. This one is hard to filter in an email server because it uses some special characters to fool the filters.

What are others experiencing?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 04:40 PM

Depends on the e-mail system, I support Lotus Domino/Notes systems and many of the viruses out there don't know what to do with a Lotus Notes System, so just end up being harmless. Not to say that Notes is less succeptable, but if a virus writer is going to "go for the gusto", they will target MS Outlook based end users.

Anyone supporting a e-mail system should have several layers of Anti-Virus. We have anti-virus on the Firewall, Anti-Virus on the Mail servers, and Anti-Virus on the workstations (and all 3 these all get daily or multiple daily updates). The only way to survive these days :( PARANOIA IS THE RULE OF THE DAY

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 06:08 PM

Speaking of viruses, I just installed Mcafee on my old machine yesterday, it dected 7 viruses. Now this computer has never had an anti virus program on it before and it has been connected to the net since 12/24/99. I used to download all sorts of crap so I expected this.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#4 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 06:20 AM

Just to show how quick it can happen. I was learning W2K Adv Server and had just gotten my DSL router and wanted to surf the internet from the lab machine instead of my "Production Machine". I downloaded a couple of files from legit sources, but I also visited lots of sites just like any surfing spree. 1 day later I finally remember to install an Anti-Virus SW and there were 3 viruses on the machine after only 1 day. The machine had AV on it the week before and then I blew away the config and started from scratch and the other machines on my Lab Network were all running A-V, so I believe that there were no viruses until I made the machine able to surf the internet. 1 Day!!! :shrug:
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#5 OFFLINE   Rick_EE

Rick_EE

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 06:40 AM

The guy in the office next to me got it on Friday.

#6 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 10:32 AM

I have received this worm about a half dozen times (three times from one person) on several different computers and mail systems. It has been caught every time by my virus scanner. I use AVG by Grisoft. Free program, free updates. A friend of mine got hit by a worm a few months ago. It took out most of seven networked computers. He had thought he was impregnable. Firewalls, both hardware and software, and MacAfee. After he got hit he downloaded AVG and it found seven viruses on the one computer that wasn't completely wiped out. He doesn't use MacAfee anymore.

#7 OFFLINE   Rage

Rage

Fromer Member

• Banned User
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 11:14 AM

"three times from one person"

Do you mean that there's somebody out there who likes you less than I do? :) I got a virus once and it came from typing in the wrong URL. It was one to attack NT but my Norton s/w took care of it.

#8 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 11:23 AM

Off the subject but Rick, love your avatar. Makes me want to say:

Just a flesh wound!

#9 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 11:28 AM

I'll bite your knees off!
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#10 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 01:16 PM

Will post this in the correct forum as well. But the Special Edition Monty Python and the Holy Grail DVD is really great. Right now I listening to the Palin/Idle/Cleese commentary, the Jones/Gillian commentary will no doubt be as spectacular. They also have option to display the script onscreen. Haven't even looked at the 2nd DVD of the set yet

#11 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Rage
"three times from one person"

Do you mean that there's somebody out there who likes you less than I do? :) I got a virus once and it came from typing in the wrong URL. It was one to attack NT but my Norton s/w took care of it.

All three came at the same time. This is a somebody who because of her work receives around 150 to 200 emails a day. At least two of the times she wasn't noted as the sender, but her address was listed as the return address, which tipped me off something was wrong. The worm was taking address out of her book and sending them randomly. When I get an email from you Rage, I fumigate it, put it in isolation for a few days, hose it down real good, and them check it with at least two virus scans. I'm not going to forget that virus you sent me not long ago. That Amish one.

#12 OFFLINE   Rage

Rage

Fromer Member

• Banned User
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 02:24 PM

" I'm not going to forget that virus you sent me not long ago. That Amish one."

Oh! I forgot about that one. That was pretty funny.

#13 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 07:32 AM

"Just to show how quick it can happen. I was learning W2K Adv Server and had just gotten my DSL router and wanted to surf the internet from the lab machine instead of my "Production Machine". "

With W2K Adv server, you can get worms even without surfing the net. Back in February, I installed one and before I could apply the MS security updates and service pack the next morning, it had gotten the Nimda worm and was trying to propagate it to other servers on the Internet. It had been vulnerable on the net only for about 12 hours.
No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...