Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

148 AND 61.5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dankimjohn

dankimjohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 03:25 PM

What direction (north, south, east west) do you have to point your dish for sats. 148 and 61.5? Can a dual LNB pick up both sats like 110 and 119?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 03:49 PM

61.5 is generally in a southeast direction and 148 is generally in a southwest direction. The angles vary depending on where in the country you are. You can't view both of them with the same dish - they are waaaaaayyyy to far apart.

Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   dankimjohn

dankimjohn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 03:51 PM

I am in the Los Angeles area

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 May 2002 - 04:14 PM

Unless you subscribe to SkyAngel, you'll want to point the second dish to 148.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 04:49 PM

Yup - the 61.5 bird will have a very low elevation angle in the LA area. You'll probably have a much easier time pointing at 148.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#6 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 10:04 PM

From Downtown LA the 148° satellites are at a 39° angle up (Elevation) and at 212° corrected azimuth (about South-southwest).

The 61.5° satellite is at 19° elevation (higher than I thought) and at 96° corrected azimuth (just south of due east)

As stated above, the only reason to get 61.5 would be to get Sky Angel. All other programming at 61.5 (Except WCBS DT) is at 148 (which has KCBS DT)
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#7 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 10:23 PM

61.5 is the sat to aim for. That way if you ever want to you can get Sky Angel. You can also get the HD Demo channel, CBS East, and if you lie - east coast locals.

#8 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 07:10 AM

A while back I tried aiming at the 61.5 satellite from my southern CA area and was surprised at the good signal I got. I don't remember the numbers, but they were acceptable. The elevation angle from here is 20 degrees and I am fortunate to have a clear view of the sky at the azimuth (97 degrees).
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#9 OFFLINE   dankimjohn

dankimjohn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 08:52 AM

I am getting the 2nd dish for the other local LA channels (KOCE etc..) So I which sat should I point at?

#10 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 08:55 AM

Originally posted by dankimjohn
I am getting the 2nd dish for the other local LA channels (KOCE etc..) So I which sat should I point at?

LA locals are currently on the 119 and 148 satellites.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#11 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 10:13 AM

Remember, the Demo channel is on the 61.5 bird and hopefully (keep our fingers crossed) Dish can use this for the Discovery Channel when it launches.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#12 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 10:23 AM

Originally posted by dankimjohn

Additional locals in LA are at 148°. See http://echostar.swiki.net/19 and http://echostar.swiki.net/52

See ya
Tony

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2002 - 04:58 PM

O.K. Here is a question for you then.
The other day I was out looking at my dishes.
I have a dish 500 aimed at 119 and 110. Another dish aimed at `148 degrees.

I had never even thought of it before but now ,,,,, now it doesn't make sense at all.
If I stand behind the dish and I am looking at the direction in which the dish is pointing according to the indicator on the Y connector it shows that 119 is on the left. 110 is on the right
and then the second dish is separate pointing at 148 which is more of a westwardly direction.

^ ^
1 1 8
1 1 4
9 0 1

Why would 110 degrees be in the middle? Unless I am misunderstanding something I would naturally assume that 110 would be to the far left 119 degree would be the middle sat. and 148 would be to the far right direction wise standing from behind the dishes themselves. and of couse looking in the direction in which they point.
DTV's 101 would be further to the left of the first Dish slot.

If someone can explain that to me I'd like to hear it

I actually got to wondering if I had installed the Y connector upside down. So I went back into the house and found my Installation manual and checked the installation procedures to see if I installed it wrong.

The manual clearly stated that the 119 Y 110 indicators should face upwards towards the dish So I do know that the Y connector was installed right. It points upwards towards the dish.

#14 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 08 May 2002 - 06:17 PM

This one confused me for awhile too, then one day I figured it out.

Here is my crude drawing, excuse the dots, they were used as spaces. :)

110......119 <--- Sats in the Sky
..\ ......../
...\....../ <---- SIgnal Coming down
.....\.../
.......X <----- Your satellite Dish which reflects the signal to your
....../..\ LNB's
...../.....\
..../........\
.119.....110 <----- Your Dishes LNB's (Noticed the signals are
reversed)

In other words the signal comes down, bounces off your satellite Dish which has a slight curve and is bounced back to the LNB's when this bouncing happens its like a mirror so the signal is backwords thus the reversing of the signals.

Hope I explained it well enough. Its easier to say outloud then it is to type. :)

The easy answer is its due to the signals "reflections" from the dish.

#15 OFFLINE   lkw

lkw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 02:23 PM

Since 148 started mirroring 61.5, there are two channels that have never managed to get on 148 - the French channel (606) and the Portugese channel (615). They are only on 61.5.

Is it still true now?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...