Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish Channels with Sky Angel subscription

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   narnia777

narnia777

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:28 AM

I currently have Dish Network Top 150/180 and Sky Angel.
I will hopefully be switching to Directv TC+ with locals, and keeping Sky Angel and Dish Superstations only.

Will I have to pay a $5 fee for not having Top 60 or higher Dish package?

Also can someone confirm that I'll be able to get the Dish Network Public Interest stations 94xx included when I downgrade? Would be nice to keep UCTV and UWTV along with EE/JCTV.

Jim

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:17 AM

I currently have Dish Network Top 150/180 and Sky Angel.
I will hopefully be switching to Directv TC+ with locals, and keeping Sky Angel and Dish Superstations only.

Will I have to pay a $5 fee for not having Top 60 or higher Dish package?

Also can someone confirm that I'll be able to get the Dish Network Public Interest stations 94xx included when I downgrade? Would be nice to keep UCTV and UWTV along with EE/JCTV.

Jim

Every Sky Angel only Sub I have put to work the 94XX stations showed up too. Not sure about the $5 and Supers pack question

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 09:10 PM

If I am not mistaken, since you sub to SA* you will not have to pay the $5 access fee to get the Supers, you will just pay for your SA* subscription plus $5.99/mo for Supers. You will still have access to ppv, International and other " a la cart" programing from E* too. :)

#4 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 09:33 PM

So basically there is only a $7 difference between the access fee and the Sky Angel package (if Sky Angel is $12 per month)? That seems like a no brainer to get Sky Angel if you have even a small amount of interest in any content that they have to offer if you are currently paying an access fee.

What if someone purchases a Sky Angel lifetime subscription? Is there a $5 access fee per month then? That would be more like a $5/mo. penalty for doing so. I remember when it was only $9/mo. to get Sky Angel so it would have only been a $4 difference at that time.

#5 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 01:08 AM

If you have Sky Angel on one receiver then there is no access fee. Additional receivers are billed the $5 "additional outlet" fee from Dish.
http://www.pepper.net/(my personal noncommercial site)
ViP622-DVR L445RBDD-N, DishHDGold+Mobile/Pcola_Locals+SkyAngel4Life
MRX1000 and Primestar oval dish on SG2100 for FTA

#6 OFFLINE   narnia777

narnia777

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 04:34 AM

I downgraded to super stations+skyangel today and I'm not getting 94xx channels anymore. I still get a few shopping channels and Nasa though. After the usual drill tech support discovered that 94xx channels are now only with the AT60 package.

Can other confirm or deny this?

Jim

#7 Guest_CivilizedAnarchyfromWork_*

Guest_CivilizedAnarchyfromWork_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2004 - 02:36 PM

I can confirm that those channels are only available with Top 60.
It's listed as such in all of dish's brochures too.

Lata, C.J.

#8 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 02:45 PM

I downgraded to super stations+skyangel today and I'm not getting 94xx channels anymore. I still get a few shopping channels and Nasa though. After the usual drill tech support discovered that 94xx channels are now only with the AT60 package.

Can other confirm or deny this?

Jim

Correct
You will get the following (I have just locals)
NASA & Angel one (213 & 262)
the "barker channels" 101, 103, 139, 480, 500
all the knockoff shopping channels (except for QVC, HSN, SAH)
9415 and all the PI on the wings
access to PPV

#9 OFFLINE   narnia777

narnia777

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:28 PM

I don't get 9415 or any of the PI channels. How come you can?

Jim

Correct
You will get the following (I have just locals)
NASA & Angel one (213 & 262)
the "barker channels" 101, 103, 139, 480, 500
all the knockoff shopping channels (except for QVC, HSN, SAH)
9415 and all the PI on the wings
access to PPV

#10 OFFLINE   jegrant

jegrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 02:46 AM

I can confirm that at least for me (Lifetime Sky Angel sub) there is NO access fee (and there never was when I was a monthly SA* customer either).
However, receiving 94xx PI channels does require a subscription to Top 60 or better.

The above is correct in regards to the shopping channels - all the "off brand" shopping channels are free, yet one must subscribe to Top 60 or higher to get HSN, QVC, and ShopNBC. (ShopAtHome doesn't require Top 60.)
NASA and AngelOne are also apparently "in the clear".

I sure wish they'd find a way to at least give Sky Angel customers the 94xx channels that are Christian or partly so (FamilyNet, EE/JCTV, Daystar). I realize that Daystar is already on SA, and that FamilyNet is partly carried also, but really I think they should just offer PI channels "in the clear" on Dish (or at least free with an access fee or SA sub).

#11 OFFLINE   narnia777

narnia777

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 04:17 AM

The EE channel has 12 hours plus everyday of JCTV. I miss it.
Wish Sky Angel would add JCTV.

Oh well. I can still rock to Spirit and TVU.

Jim

#12 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:58 PM

ExpressVu has only one channel in the clear worth watching for the news feeds (during the day on weekdays). They did put CNN in the clear briefly during its coverage of the Sept. 11th 2001 attack. AFAIK, all of their "freeview" promotions have been for existing subscribers only.

I don't know about DirecTV. Are their "freebie" concerts in the clear, or for subscribers only?

I believe that StarChoice had some watchable channels in the clear, the last time I bothered to look.

Don't forget that most services have most of their audio in the clear, but you probably need an FTA receiver to tune them in!

#13 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:40 AM

Also, My parents just "downgraded" to SA only and still received the Interactive weather channel (but I think 110/119 is needed)

#14 OFFLINE   hax0r

hax0r

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 10:10 PM

Also, My parents just "downgraded" to SA only and still received the Interactive weather channel (but I think 110/119 is needed)

You get the interactive weather channel even if you're not subscribed to anything; that, along with one SkyAngel channel, the remote control help channel, and the NASA channel, are free-to-air. There may be others in the 110 slot, but when I checked I only had a Dish 300 dish and it was pointed at the 119 orbital slot.

#15 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:19 PM

I don't get 9415 or any of the PI channels. How come you can?

Jim

What I posted is what I can get with just the following--locals and WPIX

#16 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:20 PM

ExpressVu has only one channel in the clear worth watching for the news feeds (during the day on weekdays). They did put CNN in the clear briefly during its coverage of the Sept. 11th 2001 attack. AFAIK, all of their "freeview" promotions have been for existing subscribers only.

199 (the news channel) is no longer in the clear

#17 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:00 PM

199 (the news channel) is no longer in the clear

I'm sorry to hear that. OTOH, I haven't tuned in for well over a year.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,588 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:37 PM

I can confirm that those channels are only available with Top 60.
It's listed as such in all of dish's brochures too.

Plus Dish Latino customers DO NOT get the PIs in their base package. Most of them are marked hidden in the EPG, which means one must subscribe to even know the channel exists. (All SkyAngel is marked hidden as well.)

JL

#19 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 02:35 PM

Plus Dish Latino customers DO NOT get the PIs in their base package. Most of them are marked hidden in the EPG, which means one must subscribe to even know the channel exists. (All SkyAngel is marked hidden as well.)

JL

...Or, one could learn of their existence (and possibly even listen to the sound) using an evil real FTA receiver, without a CAM or subscription. :D

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,588 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 04:00 PM

...Or, one could learn of their existence (and possibly even listen to the sound) using an evil real FTA receiver, without a CAM or subscription. :D

The signal isn't FTA if it is only offered by subscription. True, there are some E* channels that are unscrambled ... such as:
Dish HOME Interactive (menu) including Weather (9500), DNFYI (101), PPV guides, NASA, six shopping channels, SkyAngel on 262, International Promo on 580 (61.5/148), and the locator channels (900 on 121º, 7000 on 105º, 9900 on 110º).

Is any of this offered FTA? Not really. They just don't protect them.

If your non-E* receiver is picking up any other channels it probably is an evil receiver, not for discussion here. E* receivers with expired or cancelled subscriptions (or never authorized) may be able to pick up some additional channels.

JL

spam firewall