Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish Channels with Sky Angel subscription

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 03:58 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. OTOH, I haven't tuned in for well over a year.

just went scrambled about 3 months ago

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 04:50 PM

Both GOL TV channels are FTA. :)
The Shopping channels are not.

#23 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:13 AM

The signal isn't FTA if it is only offered by subscription. True, there are some E* channels that are unscrambled ... such as:
Dish HOME Interactive (menu) including Weather (9500), DNFYI (101), PPV guides, NASA, six shopping channels, SkyAngel on 262, International Promo on 580 (61.5/148), and the locator channels (900 on 121º, 7000 on 105º, 9900 on 110º).

Is any of this offered FTA? Not really. They just don't protect them.

If your non-E* receiver is picking up any other channels it probably is an evil receiver, not for discussion here. E* receivers with expired or cancelled subscriptions (or never authorized) may be able to pick up some additional channels.

JL

My contention is that, if any program (audio and/or video) is left unscrambled, then it is, in fact, FTA. It may not be offered as such, but that does not matter. You have not cited anything that would indicate otherwise. It's no different for DBS frequencies than it is for the others, AFAIK; the same rules still apply. FTA/unscrambled does *not* imply any right to rebroadcast, but it does allow for *legal*, private, in-home viewing/listening. Go ahead, prove me wrong.

BTW, I do not even *have* any receiver other than DISH Network. The "evil" reference was simply to FTA receivers without any CAM (descrambling) capability, which you seem to think of as naughty for not attempting to "hide" the unscrambled DVB PIDs.

#24 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:29 AM

just went scrambled about 3 months ago

...Seems to roughly coincide with their belated efforts to thwart brokered subscriptions, under pressure caused by their own successful lobbying to make subscription to US services illegal in Canada.

It's too bad. The FTA newscasts contributed to better cross-border understanding, IMHO. I think the two federal governments should encourage this kind of thing, not shut it down.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:35 PM

My contention is that, if any program (audio and/or video) is left unscrambled, then it is, in fact, FTA.

Remind me not to leave my bicycle unlocked when you're around. :nono2:

The "evil" reference was simply to FTA receivers without any CAM (descrambling) capability, which you seem to think of as naughty for not attempting to "hide" the unscrambled DVB PIDs.

The trouble is, the majority of the channels *are* scrambled. Very few are left unscrambled. Which means subscribe or use real 'evil' devices.

Glad you don't have one. I have a legit FTA tuner. I only see the unscrambled signals, which I happen to subscribe to on my E* receiver.

JL
PS: Stay away from sidewalk sales and parking lot displays ... just because stuff isn't secured well doesn't mean it is free. And that dish they pass in most churches is for deposit only. Welcome to polite society! :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...