Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Monitor Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   makman

makman

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:49 PM

I have to arder a monitor tomorrow, and my choices are limited. I can get a:

Dell 1703 ultrasharp LCD

Dell 1901 ultrasharp LCD

Dell 21" p1130 fd

The viewing area of the p1130 is ~19.8 inches, slighlty bigger than the 1901. I am sure it is huge. I bring up the 1703 because it has the same resolution as the 1901, but a smaller pixel pitch. I wonder if it is sharper?

I will be using it for photoshop mostly, but I am an amateur! No games.

I have an NEC LCD that really changes brightness with minimal change in viewing angle up or down. This is bothersome and it worries me about getting another LCD.

Thanks for your help!

Mitch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   retiredTech

retiredTech

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:55 PM

I don't much input, as I don't own an LCD, but in CRT monitors, smaller dot pitch is "sharper". CRT monitors will have higher contrast & brightness than LCD. However I believe they have made improvements on LCDs. There should be some "contrast ratio" specs for the LCD models that might help you decide.

#3 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 03:30 AM

I use both.

For data work and internet stuff an LCD is fine but for Photoshop artwork I need a color calibrated CRT. I use a Sony 20" E540 box. Not too big but the color can be calibrated to exactly match a color printer. My LCD screens both lack good reds and rich yellows and saturated greens. Blues on LCD seem fine.

#4 OFFLINE   makman

makman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:45 AM

I am told the dell p1130 is a reboxed Sony G520. I think I will go with it.

Thanks

Mitch

Protected By... spam firewall...And...