Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Readies HD/DVR, Off-Air Antenna Offer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:45 AM

DirecTV will soon implement an offer for current customers of the satellite TV service who wish to upgrade to a DirecTV HD receiver or a DirecTV DVR receiver.

Under the first version of the offer, a current customer can buy a DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV DVR receiver and have it installed for $49.

Through the second offer, a current DirecTV customer can get the same deal with the DVR receiver, but also have the option of upgrading the installation to include an off-air antenna for $99. The offer is available only in select markets, but gives customers access to local channels in high-def if they reside in one of the 32 markets covered by the promotion.

Cities in the promotion include Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Seattle, and Washington D.C., among others.

The off-air antenna strategy is new for the satellite TV company concerning locals and high-def programming.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mgusler

mgusler

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:41 AM

Excellent! Now, if they only make a similar offer to new subs, or to Dish subs who switch, I'm in business. I'm bustin' at the seams, waiting to see HD on my new TV. The Mrs won't let me get a receiver that won't do DVR. :(

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:54 AM

Excellent! Now, if they only make a similar offer to new subs, or to Dish subs who switch, I'm in business. I'm bustin' at the seams, waiting to see HD on my new TV. The Mrs won't let me get a receiver that won't do DVR. :(

I would imagine that's coming so sit tight. :)

#4 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:08 AM

The offer could be interpreted to mean you buy the receiver and they will install it for $49.

#5 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:17 AM

It can be done!
I was able to get a Samsung 360 receiver and a 4x8 multiswitch installed last week just by asking DirecTV what they could do for me. I was a new sub to DirecTV in November but was still getting the Dish HD package on my 6000. Charges and credits were made to my DirecTV statement. Total cost was $68.00.

I called the customer retention phone number 1-800-600-8977. These are the CSR's that know about the deals.

#6 OFFLINE   James Hill

James Hill

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:23 PM

Assuming this deal comes to Salt Lake I will switch from E*. The price is just too good.

Not to give D* any ideas, but I'd be willing to sign a two to two-and-a-half year agreement for that kind of deal.

James Hill

#7 OFFLINE   rh26

rh26

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 04:50 PM

Under the first version of the offer, a current customer can buy a DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV DVR receiver and have it installed for $49 ... the option of upgrading the installation to include an off-air antenna for $99.

I'm sorry, I don't read this as "Want an HD DVR for $49?" but rather buy a DVR (at some undisclosed price) and get the installation for only $49 (or $99 with an OTA antenna included).

If this was really a "$49 gets you an HD DirecTivo" I'd be on the phone right now!

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:15 PM

The front page of DBS Talk is outright lying. It says "Want an HD DVR for $49?" implying that people can get the High Definition TiVo for $49 and this is simply not true. DirecTV would go bankrupt. Please fix this outright error on the front page.
Mike Richardson

#9 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:56 PM

Under the first version of the offer, a current customer can buy a DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV DVR receiver and have it installed for $49.

Through the second offer, a current DirecTV customer can get the same deal with the DVR receiver, but also have the option of upgrading the installation to include an off-air antenna for $99.

Wow that definitely is trying to dupe people. Got me the first time. I was like $49 no way?!?

How much does the HD tivo really cost?

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:07 PM

Someone clarify this offer. Does the physical HD receiver cost $49, or do you still have to pay $399 or whatever it is that a DirecTV HD receiver costs.
Mike Richardson

#11 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:11 PM

The front page of DBS Talk is outright lying. It says "Want an HD DVR for $49?" implying that people can get the High Definition TiVo for $49 and this is simply not true. DirecTV would go bankrupt. Please fix this outright error on the front page.

Calling it a lie is kind a strong charge isn't it? When typing I omitted the word "installed" so that has been fixed. If you find errors like that, can you please notify me? Thanks.

My apologies for the error.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:21 PM

Calling it a lie is kind a strong charge isn't it? When typing I omitted the word "installed" so that has been fixed. If you find errors like that, can you please notify me? Thanks.

My apologies for the error.

It still says "HD DVR". Does the installation promotion let you install an HD TiVo DVR, or only a regular HD box or a regular TiVo box? It's still kind of vague. Even the Sky Report text is vague - it says "a current DirecTV customer can get the same deal with the DVR receiver, but also have the option of upgrading the installation to include an off-air antenna for $99". Who would want an off air antenna with a DVR? I think they mean either an HD receiver or an HD DVR.
Mike Richardson

#13 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:46 PM

Since there still seems to be confusion about this, I have completely removed the headline from our front page. I will contact Sky Reports tomorrow and try to get some clarification.

spam firewall