Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Adobe PDF reader hangs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Strong

Strong

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:10 PM

All of a sudden, the PDF reader on my laptop just stopped working. I'm running Win 2000 Pro on an IBM Thinkpad. I did a google search and others are reporting the same thing on different operating systems and versions of the reader! Its even now on the Adobe user forum itself, but there doesn't seem to be a consistent fix. Even unloading/reloading is not fixing it.

It won't even open if I try to open it from outside a browser. No messages, no nothing. If I try to open it from a browser file, it just hangs. No message no nothing and I have to use task manager to kill the window.

I did get a few 'updates available' messages the last few days, but I was lazy and hit 'update later'. I figured if it wasn't broke, don't fix it, but darn!

Its still working on my desktop, so its really weird.
"I'm real cool, I chill to the max, I might act crazy, but I don't smoke crack!" - Shinehead

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:20 PM

Delete all files in your c:\winnt\temp directory. Make sure to delete all subdirectories in your temp directory.

#3 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:32 PM

All of a sudden, the PDF reader on my laptop just stopped working. I'm running Win 2000 Pro on an IBM Thinkpad. I did a google search and others are reporting the same thing on different operating systems and versions of the reader! Its even now on the Adobe user forum itself, but there doesn't seem to be a consistent fix. Even unloading/reloading is not fixing it.

It won't even open if I try to open it from outside a browser. No messages, no nothing. If I try to open it from a browser file, it just hangs. No message no nothing and I have to use task manager to kill the window.

I did get a few 'updates available' messages the last few days, but I was lazy and hit 'update later'. I figured if it wasn't broke, don't fix it, but darn!

Its still working on my desktop, so its really weird.

Adobe added a lot of stuff to version 6.x of the reader, much of which the average user can do without. All that stuff has caused a great deal of problems with lots of peoples systems. If you have or can find the last 5.x version of the reader, I would suggest uninstalling the current one and installing the 5.x version. For the vast majority of PDF reading, the 5.x version is more than sufficient and is far more stable than the 6.x releases.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#4 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 03:02 PM

I had the same problem, and it was caused by that &*^$# "updates available" window somehow staying below all other windows. Adobe "froze", but it was actually just waiting for a reply to the question I couldn't see. Once I finally got the &^*&%$# update installed, I stopped having the problem. So far.

One of my pet peeves is the growing practice of dumping info to PDF instead of taking the time to convert it to clean HTML. I've seen charts that would be simple HTML tables, but instead I have to wait half a minute for %^&% Reader to load.

&*(^#$^^*&^$&#%#(*% Adobe Reader!!!!

(deep breath) Sorry, I feel better now.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#5 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 03:14 PM

I've had several problems with Adobe Acrobat, including freezing, incorrect displays, etc. Instead, I've been using GhostScript, which reads .pdf and .ps files, and is much less of a CPU hog than Acrobat. Google GhostScript and you'll find it.

#6 OFFLINE   Ric

Ric

Godfather

• Gold Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:06 AM

The temp files is a big issue. I had to contact my Help Desk for it and that was the first thing they had me do to clear it out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...