Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can a VirusScan account be used for 2 computers on a home network?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 05:14 PM

I have 2 computers on my home broadband network, #1 has Norton VirusScan and #2 has McAfee VirusScan (among a firewall and other stuff). My subscription to Norton for #1 is up today and I am wondering if it is possible to install the boxed version of McAfee's VirusScan on computer #1 and have both #1 and #2 access the same account subscription for VirusScan at McAfee, without paying anymore per month than I am paying now for just 1 computer? Has anyone tried this, or know if it can be done? Thanks for the help in advance! :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:42 AM

I had 2 computers on a LAN when I got hit with a virus. Since each computer had drive-letter assignments to the other computer's hard drives, I was able to tell Norton Anti-Virus to scan the 'foreign' drive from the uninfected computer and it removed the offending file.

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:41 AM

Legally no. And djlong's advice works for part of what a virus scanner does but does not do it all. McAfee, Norton, AVG and the rest all sell multiple PC licenses. IF you want to do it legally try that. In AVG's case you can use the free version that is quite capable.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:10 PM

I use AVG on all the computers in my house. I rationalyze that one is mine, one is my wife's, one is my son's, etc., so that I am not really installing the program on multiple computers. My reading is that they are not really concerned about a home network, they are more concerned about a business with many computers using the free version.

#5 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:22 PM

I use one account for my office computer and my home computer, and have used it without incident for years (I have the subscription based service, not the retail box version though... so it allows me access based on my email address and a password....)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:30 PM

In the case of the free license I dont think it maters. After all you could pay them 10 times free and it would still be free. With paid licenses it becomes a legal issue. But not everyone follows the letter of the law.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#7 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:16 PM

so how would I go about getting the McAfee VirusScan software on my #1 computer that doesn't already have it, If buying in the box wouldn't work? would I have to download off their website? Do they know which computer is accessing their service or is only who is logged in?

#8 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:42 PM

I get the subscription off their website. I then access the same website from the 2nd computer. It asks for my email address and a password. i give it, and it starts the download. I think they will leave you alone for two. It's the guys with 10+ installations they are chasing......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:49 PM

Again it si not strivtly speaking proper but I question that they will come after you. Theya re not the RIAA

#10 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:18 PM

Ok, I got the software free from my account at McAfee set up for the computer that already has it installed on it. I downloaded, deleted Norton, and it works perfectly! That will save me about $40 year now!!! because I don't need two subscriptions anymore! thank you to everyone who helped me out!

#11 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:31 AM

The newer Symantec software, like Personal Firewall 2004, requires you to validate each computer online, like most of Microsoft's new software. I don't know if that will prevent a second computer from being authorized on the same registration key, but software vendors are going this direction simply because they feel a lot of people use one licnese for several machines.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...