Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Chat Server Update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 02:44 PM

This afternoon we ran a test of one of our Chat servers. The test went from Noon untill 3PM.

I was not happy with the results.

At first people could not get into the chat do to a currupt .cab file.

After fixing that problem people were able to get in, however many people were not happy they could not use their name on the server (for example Mark, and Rage) as these handles belonged to someone else on the IRC network we were connected to.

I have moved our IRC server off of dal.net and have moved it to another (and much smaller) IRC provider.

Now people should not have any problem going into the chat with names like Mark or Rage etc.

While not officially open yet, those who want to check out our IRC chat can visit http://chat.dbstalk.com

Be warned this Java application may not run on all browsers, however you can use any IRC Client (such as MIRC and PIRCH) to get into our chat. Our chat server and channel name are listed on the above listed Chat page for those who wish to use their own IRC software.

We have some big news coming on Monday that is sure to cause some noise, our chat will be open on this day.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rage

Rage

Fromer Member

• Banned User
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 03:45 PM

Great! It didn't kick me off for my username. Do you plan on any security features to verify identity?

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 06:34 PM

Rage you can use the IRC's NICKSERV feature to reserve and protect your screen name.

To register your screenname on the IRC loginto the chat
the type /msg nickserv register password youremail.com

place a password you want to use for password and your email address where you see youremail.com

Next time you logon to the chat you will get a message saying you have 60 seconds to identify yourself or your username will be changed. You will need to identify yourself. (The instructions will be on the screen) but basicly you send a message like the one shown below.

/msg nickserv identify password

After you do that you will be you and no one else can be you. :)

#4 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 12:35 PM

I had problema accessing it from MS IE5.5.

Oh well .
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 May 2002 - 11:07 PM

Works for me ...I think. Using NS 6.2.2

Nick :smoking:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 08:25 AM

Currently the HTML based chat room is open so it should work for all until we work more on the Java based version.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...