Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Tivo Users Manual Is Now Online!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:15 PM

You can download the HR10-250 HD Tivo users manual at the following links courtesy of dswallow at the Tivo Communty:

PDF (9,757 KB): http://www.2150.com/..._250_manual.pdf
ZIP (9,199 KB): http://www.2150.com/..._250_manual.zip

I you have trouble with those, you can also download them at these links:

PDF
ZIP

Source

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Hill

James Hill

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:43 PM

Looks like you've got to be connected to a phone line, or else.

Am I the only person in the world with only a cell phone?

James Hill

#3 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:35 PM

Gosh Chris, now whatever happened to attributing the source for posts copied from other places? :D

'sok. :)

Anyway, I put those files on a very well connected/configured server; people should only experience troubles if there's connectivity issues between their point and the server.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:25 PM

Gosh Chris, now whatever happened to attributing the source for posts copied from other places? :D

Sorry about that. I was on my way out the door and thought I put something in there. :blush:

#5 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:11 PM

Man! Does that thing look cool or what! I wonder why they didn't go with a different remote. I don't really mind the peanut but it would have been nice if they used something different this time.

If I'm reading that correctly, we should be able to switch output modes (480i, 480p, 720p etc.) directly from the front panel.

That's going to be great in my situation because I will have the RCA Video and Audio running to a Terk Leapfrog which sends the video to other parts of the house. When I'm not using my main HDTV, I usually watch the news and such in the kitchen.

Just too bad that there are no simultaneous outputs from the hi-def and s-video/composite at the same time. :( At least the hi-def stuff gets downconverted. :)

#6 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:28 PM

I can't wait till mine ships. My keyboard is covered in drool. :D

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:45 PM

I can't wait till mine ships. My keyboard is covered in drool. :D

Me too. :)

Page 125 of the guide is very interesting. It talks about where the Tivo gets local channel programming guide information for off-air channels. Apparently, when you enter your zip code, it automatically downloads them from satellite. Not sure if this is good news or bad news. :scratch:

Also, starting on page 28 I see that all local off-air channels are already tuned and ready to go after you enter your zip code. If certain channels do not show up that you know are there, you can do another scan to look for any additional channels. I guess this could be interpreted as a "manual" setup routine but it kind of bothers me that you can't specifically choose a channel without going through the scan.

#8 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:20 AM

Page 125 of the guide is very interesting. It talks about where the Tivo gets local channel programming guide information for off-air channels. Apparently, when you enter your zip code, it automatically downloads them from satellite. Not sure if this is good news or bad news. :scratch:

Also, starting on page 28 I see that all local off-air channels are already tuned and ready to go after you enter your zip code. If certain channels do not show up that you know are there, you can do another scan to look for any additional channels. I guess this could be interpreted as a "manual" setup routine but it kind of bothers me that you can't specifically choose a channel without going through the scan.

Chris, do you have a DirecTV HD receiver now? That's how they all work; you can enter 2 zip codes and all the local channels in those markets are automatically added to the configuration -- OTA frequency as well as virtual ID's.

The scanning really only becomes of any use if you plan to hunt for distant signals outside your markets. So yeah, it's a shame you can't just go enter a frequency to scan immediately, but in practice, one really never even need to do the scan to get all receivable stations configured.

Last weekend I was at a friends house who has a Dish 811. I was shocked how much of a pain it is to configure OTA channels, and we had one or two channels that simply refused to stay on their virtual ID's; they'd always revert to broadcast frequency whenever we tuned to them. And of course having to identify some of the channels was ridiculous, and then no guide data but for network stations, as I recall. What a mess.

The DirecTV HD receivers really are so much simpler to deal with in that respect.

Funny thing was, in my rush to get my receiver hooked up initially, I did skip the zip code configuration, and was really annoyed with scanning and waiting for everything and finding after each scan some new channels got added but some others were removed. Once I actually read the instructions and went through the zip code configuration (for me, my home zip code which got me NYC area channels, and then I hunted down a Philadelphia zip code to add those), I practically slapped myself for having wasted so much time doing the scan thing.

And only in the last week (almost a year after getting my DirecTV HD receiver) did I notice that the guide data is rather extensive, including lengthy cast listings on movies, too... so it's apparent the guide data for ATSC channels is rathr complete and has been for some time.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#9 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:27 AM

Chris, do you have a DirecTV HD receiver now? That's how they all work; you can enter 2 zip codes and all the local channels in those markets are automatically added to the configuration -- OTA frequency as well as virtual ID's.

Ah! I see. No, I have not owned a DirecTV HD receiver so I didn't know. My last HD receiver was a Dish 6000 and that thing was a pain in the butt to setup for locals and had the same problems you describe about the 811.

It's going to be interesting to see how accurate the programming will be for my area.

#10 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 01:56 AM

Ah! I see. No, I have not owned a DirecTV HD receiver so I didn't know. My last HD receiver was a Dish 6000 and that thing was a pain in the butt to setup for locals and had the same problems you describe about the 811.

It's going to be interesting to see how accurate the programming will be for my area.

I see people get referred to www.zap2it.com to check, because the guide data apparently comes from the same source. If they have it, you'll definitely have it on the DirecTV receiver. I use www.titantv.com so I'm not too familiar with Zap2It.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#11 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:07 AM

Looks really cool, shame I can't afford it.

#12 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:55 AM

I really like the way the guide data works with my Samsung 360. I get guide data for all digital stations and sub channels. Much better then the Dish 6000.

#13 OFFLINE   CAL7

CAL7

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 01:24 PM

As opposed to DISH, it looks like this unit will allow OTA reception without a satellite connection. Right? Makes the investment a little safer.

#14 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 02:39 PM

As opposed to DISH, it looks like this unit will allow OTA reception without a satellite connection. Right? Makes the investment a little safer.

It will allow OTA reception, but no recording capabilities without a DirecTV subscription.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#15 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 06:42 PM

One down side I see is that it only has one set of analog audio outputs (page 172). This will make it difficult for archiving to a DVD recorder. Especially for people who also distribute the SD to other TVs.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#16 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:28 PM

I noticed that channel 219 is talking about the HD-DVR and gives a 800 number to order one.

#17 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:14 PM

I just saw that too. Anyone interested that doesn't already have an order in call 1-888-238-7177 and see what they have to say.

#18 OFFLINE   Foxbat

Foxbat

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:14 PM

Some things to keep in mind when planning to install the HD Tivo:

Page 4: LNB = "Low Noise Blocker" (WTF?) (okay, not a caveat, I just thought it was funny)

Page 6: 'If you set up the HD DVR for “Off-Air antenna only,” you can watch, but not record, two antenna channels. See page 48.'

Page 34: 'No Local Numbers. If you selected “None of the Above” on the Dial-In Numbers screen, you will see a reminder to go back and choose a local dial-in number. If you are concerned about toll charges associated with any of the available dial-in numbers, keep in mind that the HD DVR’s calls are very brief. You are responsible for any such phone charges.' (what, no toll-free?)

Page 48: 'Dual tuner will not work if you only connect one cable from your satellite dish, even if you also connect an off-air antenna.'

'If you set up the HD DVR to receive off-air antenna broadcasts only (that is, you connected an off-air antenna and you selected “Off-Air antenna only” during Guided Setup), you will be able to watch programs from two antenna channels at the same time. However, no recording is possible unless you activate the DVR service and connect a satellite dish antenna.' (So, you can use this a an OTA HD Tivo, but still need a dish connected to make it record.)

#19 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:21 AM

I just saw that too. Anyone interested that doesn't already have an order in call 1-888-238-7177 and see what they have to say.

I called just to see what they had to say and here ya go, "we don't have the HD units. You have to buy them from third party dealers. I think they are about $1000 but I'm not sure. DirecTV really hasn't given us a whole lot of information about them."

Good thing they gave us that number to call!

Flyboy

#20 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:18 AM

Sorry about that! I figured they would have info about them since they gave out a number, apparantly not! :(

spam firewall