Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Tivo Users Manual Is Now Online!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:37 AM

Sorry about that! I figured they would have info about them since they gave out a number, apparantly not! :(

Not your fault! :)
You would figure that since they put the phone number on the screen while talking about the HD-TIVO, that they would actually have something to tell you about it!

Cheers,
Flyboy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 April 2004 - 02:48 PM

Looks like on page 29 it shows both the DVI and composite outputs being used at the same time. Does this mean instead of going out to a VCR you can run the composite outputs to a channel modulator and distribute the signal to other tv's?

Thanks.

#23 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 03:47 PM

Looks like on page 29 it shows both the DVI and composite outputs being used at the same time. Does this mean instead of going out to a VCR you can run the composite outputs to a channel modulator and distribute the signal to other tv's?

It specifically mentions the output format must be set to 480i to record, so it might be an exception to the rule of no component output when a HDMI cable is physically connected.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#24 OFFLINE   WanMan

WanMan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:19 AM

Looks like you've got to be connected to a phone line, or else. Am I the only person in the world with only a cell phone?
James Hill

James, you are not the only one without a land-line. Keep in mind that this is a TiVo requirement to receive the TiVo Guide information from TiVo as opposed to a DirecTV requirement, IIRC.

I have a couple of regular DTiVo units and they would work fine for the D* guide without a phone line, but scheduling shows to record (individual and Season Passes) would be impossible. The regular DTiVo's dial a local POP.

#25 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:09 AM

Actually the DirecTV DVR's receive guide info from satellite these days. You need to have the phone connection for software updates for the unit, though, and it does get used to send the anonymous viewing data to TiVo. It can operate without a phone line, but at some point you'll get occasional reminders you don't have the phone line connected.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#26 OFFLINE   WanMan

WanMan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:19 AM

While this information is true, there is no way for TiVo to know where you live in terms of locals provided by DirecTV without calling out. I know its not a forced mandate (in terms of land-line requirements and STB's) by DirecTV as my HD-STB has never been connected to a phone line.

#27 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:49 AM

While this information is true, there is no way for TiVo to know where you live in terms of locals provided by DirecTV without calling out. I know its not a forced mandate (in terms of land-line requirements and STB's) by DirecTV as my HD-STB has never been connected to a phone line.

If you have a neighbor with a traditional phone line that'll let you borrow it when you set things up for a few hours, forcing a couple daily calls on a new unit should suffice for the initial setup, then the phone line can be removed and you'd only need to worry about it again when you became aware there was a software update available, and you wanted the update.

With some brands of cell phone you can get an adapter to connect it to your house wiring and provide access to regular telephones. While generally this doesn't really support modem calls, I've seen people report having no troubles when forcing the calls to go at 9600 baud. It might be agonizingly slow to get a software update this way, but it seems that it functions OK. The DirecTV PPV accounting calls are already low speed so they work fine in this configuration.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#28 OFFLINE   WanMan

WanMan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:53 AM

I thought I heard someone mention a wireless phone jack or some sort of thing ... :) Maybe I should illegally resell phone service in my neighborhood. LOL

#29 OFFLINE   pigpants

pigpants

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:13 AM

Does anyone know whether the Direct TV HD DVR with TiVo service can output to a DVD burner? The one we have can output to a VCR but not a DVD.

#30 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:17 PM

Does anyone know whether the Direct TV HD DVR with TiVo service can output to a DVD burner? The one we have can output to a VCR but not a DVD.

I don't see why any couldn't since the DVD recorder is just connected via component or s-video.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...