Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gateway Closes All Stores!!!!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:01 PM

Gateway decided monday that they are closing ALL of their retail stores across the country and revamping their line up. They said they were not making enough profit to keep them open.

For More Details: [URL=http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/2111131]

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:08 PM

Opening the stores was the worst mistake Gateway ever made. The decision to close them has been long expected, especially since E-Machines took over.

#3 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:48 AM

Opening the stores was the worst mistake Gateway ever made. The decision to close them has been long expected, especially since E-Machines took over.

I thought Gateway bought E-Machines? So, E-Machines bought Gateway? :eek2:

#4 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:04 AM

Gateway bought E-machines on paper, spending about $266 million (50 million shares, 30 million cash) to acquire privately held E-machines.

In fact however its more of a merger. E-machine's CEO is now Gateway's CEO. Gateway's old head remains as Chairman.

I do agree however that opening up the Gateway stores was a mistake. I buy about half my computers from Gateway, and have never been in a store since their opening day. They were an unneeded showcase.

#5 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Danny. I worded my post the way I did because although Gateway officially "bought" E-Machines, it was certainly not from a position of strength. E-Machines is the company that came into the relationship from the position of strength, although neither company had anywhere near the market strength of Dell or HP.

The original story linked at the top of the thread is a little out of date. Gateway is now closing ALL its stores on April 9.

POWAY, Calif. (AP) - Troubled computer maker Gateway Inc. announced Thursday that it will shutter all its retail stores next week, eliminating 2,500 jobs, or nearly 40 percent of its work force.

The company, based in the San Diego suburb of Poway, said its 188 stores will close April 9, and workers will be dismissed as the retail operations wind down.

http://www.omaha.com...6&u_sid=1054068

#6 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 11:18 AM

Dell has done the retail stores right! They only have a limited number of them in only high income places, I though Gateway would close them down sooner or later, my Gateway country has about 20 sales reps on the floor and almost no customers.

#7 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 02:08 PM

I agree. Best Buy threatening to sever the relationship with Gateway/EMachines due to the fact that they were a competitor was the final nail in the coffin.

I will miss being able to go see the units before I buy them, but the old way worked fine for me as I have owned Gateways since 1990 and will simply use the net to place my orders.

It will be intersting to see what happens now with their fledgling CE business. Most are comfortable buying a computer sight unseen, but I don't see it happening with plasma TVs. I wonder if an expanded relationship with Best Buy and other retailers will now occur......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:04 PM

I have a friend that subs out to Gateway doing plasma tv installs, he recently told me that there is is 35% failure rate with units that he has installed.

Bob

#9 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 11:03 PM

I have a friend that subs out to Gateway doing plasma tv installs, he recently told me that there is is 35% failure rate with units that he has installed.

Bob

They are Terrable!!! I Have 2. One has been replaced 4 times and repaired twice. The second one was replaced once! I Have Had BAD Luck With Them. :nono2:

#10 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:14 AM

Bob

From the experience of people I know who have bought plasma screens, and none of them Gateway, that is one technology I'm going to give a pass. It just isn't ready or perhaps never will be ready. When it works, it is beautiful, but there are too many "gotchas" inherent to the technology itself, regardless of the brand. Of the 8 friends who have plasma screens, all of them say they wish they'd waited and regret paying the price they did for their screens.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#11 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:23 PM

TechTv says that the Gateway plasma's for around $3,000 are not as high resolution as the other HD tv's and plasma's. Also I heard this about a year or two ago that they were going to close their stores, heard a few rumors that they were going out of business, although I see that is not true.

#12 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:00 AM

They are considered "enhanced resolution". Better than DVD but NOT HD. Something like 800 lines of resolution or something.

If you DO want to buy one, head to a Gateway store this week as all of the retail stores are closing 4/9. It's not clear what they will do to show their products (TVs need to be seen, not many will buy them sight unseen via mail order or the internet)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:34 PM

They could have them available in retail stores, or have a particular retail chain carry their product, in which would save a bunch on costs of operating a store.

#14 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

I would expect them to try and use their e-machine retailers for store space..... Even with the problems Gateway DID sell more plasma TVs last year than anyone else so that may be attractive to BestBuy or another emachine partner.

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 03:30 PM

Most of Gateways plasmas are ED, not HD, they are only 480p. that is a BIG downside! I have also heard that they are really bad from some of my friends that have them, always need to be fixed or replaced.
"From the experience of people I know who have bought plasma screens, and none of them Gateway, that is one technology I'm going to give a pass. It just isn't ready or perhaps never will be ready. When it works, it is beautiful, but there are too many "gotchas" inherent to the technology itself, regardless of the brand.'
~ you are correct! Plasmas are not ready to be bought yet and I don't think that they ever willl be, considering you must refill their gas after 8-10 years of average use, costing a lot of money. they also are energy hogs and produce alot of heat, along with some not even including any tuner at all. I would go with LCD anyday over plasma, in fact that is what I did.

#16 OFFLINE   Bob Haller

Bob Haller

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:28 PM

People demand INSTANT gratification today. I always thought a computer store that stocked nothing was a waste. Your computer dies:( Most want to go home with a replacement now!

The closed my local gatreway awhile ago, I never missed it.

#17 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:30 PM

Never been in one, no loss to me...

#18 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:01 PM

Gateway decided monday that they are closing ALL of their retail stores across the country and revamping their line up. They said they were not making enough profit to keep them open.

For More Details: [URL=http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/2111131]

This is no surprise and the tech. research firms (e.g. Gartner) have been predicting this for a while. GW's combined overhead (cost of stores plus local sales tax that e-tailers typically avoid) amounted to about a 20% hit on their bottom line. Closing the retail stores will bring about more competitive pricing, so that's good news for the consumer. While they still have a ways to go, GW is at least moving in the right direction.
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#19 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:09 PM

:shrug: Clearance sales?
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#20 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 03:29 PM

Yip, I was just at mine, big clearence, everything was almost gone, they only had a few digital cameras, old computers and new plasmas at only 15% off. overy other item had been sold.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...