Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gateway Closes All Stores!!!!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stosh

Stosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:10 PM

Plasmas are not ready to be bought yet and I don't think that they ever willl be, considering you must refill their gas after 8-10 years of average use,

That is an Urban Myth; totally false. You no more have to replace the gas in a plasma TV than you do in a florescent light. Unfortunately, a lot of sales people seem to be spreading this lie - just another example of how clueless many of them are.

That said, I believe LCD and DLP and some of the other newer technologies will drive plasmas into oblivion.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:59 AM

I have read indipendent studies of plasma's and they found that they must be refilled on average after 8-10 years of 3-5 hours of daily use, so I am going to have to go with the studies. we will start to see what happends in a few years when plasma's in residental homes start to go, or not?

#23 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:07 AM

Were there plasma TVs 8 years ago?
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#24 OFFLINE   Stosh

Stosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:45 AM

I have read indipendent studies of plasma's and they found that they must be refilled on average after 8-10 years of 3-5 hours of daily use, so I am going to have to go with the studies. we will start to see what happends in a few years when plasma's in residental homes start to go, or not?

What "independent studies"? Consumer Reports? :lol: One of the home theater mags (SGHT?) recently did a "top ten myths about home theater" where they totally debunked this story. Sorry, but science wins out over fantasy every time. We don't have to wait a "few years", we just have to understand how plasma TVs work to know this is nonsense.

For a reality check:

http://www.crutchfie...asma_myths.html

Myth #3: Plasma TVs leak gas and require periodic "re-charging"
Fact: Every plasma TV is a completely sealed unit. In fact, it's permanently sealed when the panel is manufactured. Each individual cell in a plasma panel is sealed. So, a plasma TV will never require any refilling or recharging of its neon-xenon gas.

Sadly, some salespeople at national retail chains have been known to tell customers not only that plasma TVs leak, but also that recharging the gas would be covered by an extended warranty! (This actually happened to well-known HDTV expert Gary Merson, who described the encounter in the September/October 2003 issue of The Perfect Vision.) If a salesperson ever tries to sell you this line, do yourself a favor and head for the door.

and from http://hometheater.a...aplasmafaq3.htm

The gas in a Plasma television does not leak in such a way that more gas can be pumped in. Each pixel element is a completely sealed structure, including the charging plates and plasma gas. If a pixel element fails, it cannot be repaired physically or by "recharging" the gas.

and from http://www.expertentertainment.com:

Plasma TV’s Leak
There are those in the AV industry who blame this rumor on unscrupulous major warehouse retailers who make a generous profit selling extended warranties. The story goes that uneducated salespeople will tell consumers that their plasma TV may leak, leaving only a black and white picture where there was once color. This is of course absurd. If the gas inside the tube leaked, there would be NO picture. But, the stories are out there, and an unwitting customer might be suckered into buying an expensive and probably unnecessary warranty.

#25 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,187 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:24 PM

I'll take my plasma intravenously, thank you! :sure:

Re: Gateway retail stores - I was surprised when they opened some years ago. Visited one near Norcross GA several times - like walking into a car showroom - same atomosphere, salespeople waiting to pounce. Never bought anything.

Not surprised to hear they are closing. So long. No great loss to me. :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#26 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 April 2004 - 02:40 PM

They extract plasma out of me every four weeks. But that's another topic.

There are friends I know who have purchased Gateway systems who had nothing but problems. Could be operator error. However, it is impossible for me to recommend a brand since "I build my own".
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#27 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 02:57 PM

I'm not saying that plasma's leak gas, they use it when they are running just like a standard tube set uses gas in the projector lense, and that is why tube sets go green screen after so many hours of use and then they will not turn on at all after a while. Plasma's will not go green screen, they will go yellow since a pixel, contains a red, green and blue light source, if it is activated for long periods, the pixel begins to age prematurely. This is due to the shorter life span of the blue phosphor gas which, as it ages, generates a yellowish tint. since they don't use a projector, pixels will start to fail and then you will have holes in your picture, or dimed, yellow pixels for the most part. Everything runs on something and plasma's can't run forever.

#28 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 03:02 PM

here is is what I found in quite a few studies online. It directly supports what I said before, my life span was off by a few years, but close. "LCD comes out ahead in regards to life span. Plasma TVs generally have a life span of 20,000 - 30,000 hours according to manufactures. This compares to around 50,000 - 80,000 hours for the LCD backlight. Also, since Liquid Crystal Televisions use a backlight, this backlight can be replaced on some models if needed. Assuming 4 hours of viewing per day, a Plasma TV will last approximately 13 years, compared to an LCD TV that would last around 25-40 years. In either case, you will likely get a lot of viewing pleasure out of both types."

#29 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:32 PM

The only Gateway store I ever really considered buying anything from was the factory direct outlet store in Sioux Falls, SD. As opposed to most of the stores, you could actually buy computers there and take them home. Returns, refurbished, etc. units, that were less than regular price.

#30 OFFLINE   Stosh

Stosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:11 PM

here is is what I found in quite a few studies online. It directly supports what I said before,

No, what you said before was that plasma screens leak gas, and need to be periodically "recharged", which is untrue. The lifespan issue is unrelated. All televisions, regardless of the technology involved, will fail eventually. It is reasonable to expect to get 10+ years out of any set, though most people replace them before that much time goes by, especially these days, with the technology constantly advancing the way it is.

My bedroom TV, a 14-year-old 27" Mitsubishi, recently bit the dust. I moved my HDTV into my bedroom to replace it, and bought another, larger HDTV to replace that one! And I expect to replace it, too, in 2 or 3 years, with a fixed-pixel device, whatever happens to be "hot" at that time. Probably LCD or DLP, or one of the variants that will be hitting the market soon. I would have done so now, but my budget didn't allow for LCD or DLP, and I don't think they are quite ready for prime time yet. CRTs still provide the most bang for the buck, but I expect prices on the fixed-pixel devices to drop dramatically over the next few years.

#31 Guest_tered_*

Guest_tered_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:22 PM

anyone buying a gateway computer has to be out of there head. you don'r have to be a rocket scientist to put your own box together. pick and choose your own cutting edge guts and peripherals
might cost a little more but you'll be much better off.

#32 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:24 PM

I went into a Gateway store today and they sold out of almost everything offering discounts of up to 40% off.

I also went into Circuit City and looked at their tv's. A sales person showed me where they had a name brand tv that he said was only there for 3 or 4 months and he showed me the pixels that have already went out showing me the yellow tint to those pixels. It was a plasma tv. I will not buy a plasma tv after seeing that.

#33 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:44 AM

Putting your own PC would be fine for some but most consumers do not want to do that. Add to that the market for laptops and the Gatewats, Dells and HPs have al arge market.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#34 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:33 AM

Stosh I never once said that they "leak gas". I said they need to refilled or recharged to get more then 13 (I said 8-10 from memory, but 13 is more correct) or so years out of them. Also....
"It is reasonable to expect to get 10+ years out of any set" Yip, I will be getting 25-40 years out of my LCD, and I will not have to replace anything to get there, and you will have gone thru 3-5 plasma's. But that is not realistic, I would never keep a TV for more than 20 years, but resale will most likely be higher on something that works, then something that is dead.

#35 OFFLINE   Stosh

Stosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 12:18 PM

Stosh I never once said that they "leak gas". I said they need to refilled or recharged

OK, fine, though I don't see how they could need to be "recharged" unless they leaked. But regardless, what you said is still NOT TRUE! It isn't even possible - the cells are sealed! Why is that so hard for you to accept, when the proof has been provided to you? I know people believe what they want to believe, regardless of the facts, but please...

#36 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 12:22 PM

Stosh, some people find it very difficult to admit they were wrong, including myself at times. One of you needs to let it go. Please? :grin:

#37 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 01:44 PM

Stosh, are you saying that once a plasma goes yellow, its gone? it can't be recharged or refilled? If yes, I would have to agree, even though I think there is some way to extend their life, besides not turning it on. so do you agree that out of a plasma left untouched/unchanged and an LCD left untouched/unchanged, the LCD would last much longer?

#38 OFFLINE   Stosh

Stosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:30 PM

so do you agree that out of a plasma left untouched/unchanged and an LCD left untouched/unchanged, the LCD would last much longer?

That could well be, but I don't really care that much. Both would last well beyond what I would need from a TV. Picture quality is my number one concern; how long the set lasts is less important to me than the "wow" factor I get as I watch my DVDs and HD broadcasts.

With that in mind, it seems to me that LCD and DLP are both better technologies than plasma. When the time comes for me to buy a fixed-pixel device, I'll take a long hard look at everything that is available, and make my decision. If I were buying today, I'd most likely go for LCD or DLP (HD2+).

#39 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:00 PM

Stosh is looks as though we have reached an agreement.

#40 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:05 PM

Next stop, peace in the middle east. :D

spam firewall