Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TV tuner / capture device?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:29 PM

I am interested in getting a tv tuner for my pc. Will I be able to capture frames from a tv show or movie with one? Do any of you know anything about them?

Thanks
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,822 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:51 PM

Video capture is part of my video card on my home PC, and I have made several screen captures for postings at various times.

In order to grab still shots, you have to record a segment of the video, then go through the video to get the frame you want and do a capture.

You'll be surprised at how Microsoft's Movie Maker works. Some of the reports in the field during the Iraq war were edited on the field using a laptop and Microsoft Movie Maker.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:05 PM

Have an Ati tv wonder...can watch and record from antenna and or s-vhs or composite on mine. And yes you can get screen shots, my avatars here and at sat guys came from the ati program-but from replay files captured through dvarchive.

#4 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:29 PM

Have an Ati tv wonder

Only problem is that these don't work with dscaler.

Just something to consider, if you ever plan on piping input from the capture card back out to your TV, ala many home theater computers.

#5 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 03:21 PM

Yes, I have an ATI all in wonder. I use it, but I don't like it. The software only allows you to open 1 TV window at a a time, even if you have 1 feed coming in on S-Video and 1 on coax for analog cable, so you can't do picture by picture or record while you watch. ATI is also a bad company, They have the worst Tech support/customer service I have ever delt with, and they charge you per minute for tech support, even in the first 30 days after purchase, as it is a toll 600 number. don't get an All in Wonder by ATI, unless they have come with something much better that I don't know of. I am going to swap it out soon for a separate tuner and video card soon.

#6 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:58 PM

I rarely use mine any more as I have a dvd recorder and a replay to do what I got it for. I have Survivor thailand archived on dvd from it. The pq on both my 42" hitachi and on my X-1 dlp lacks some when playing them.

spam firewall