Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best free popup blocker?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 917 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 04 April 2004 - 12:08 AM

Never had a problem with popups, til spinchat.com started using them. Guess it's time for me to get a blocker, and would like imput on what the best free one is.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 06:20 AM

http://www.panicware...uct_psfree.html

#3 OFFLINE   cclement

cclement

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 06:24 AM

If you're a big fan of Google like I am and you have a Windows machine with IE, I love the Google toolbar! It blocks 99.9% of all popups. Plus it has other great features like AutoFill and the search feature built right in! You can get it at:

http://toolbar.google.com/

#4 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:56 AM

Never had a problem with popups, til spinchat.com started using them. Guess it's time for me to get a blocker, and would like imput on what the best free one is.

The best one I've found is the one built in to the Firefox web browser. Since I switched to using Firefox instead of IE, I have far far fewer problems on my computer.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:07 AM

Use Firefox as your browser instead of Microsoft IE> No more popups.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#6 OFFLINE   Orcatek

Orcatek

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:12 AM

Opera is another good browser that will kill pop-ups.

I use the google toolbar.
Orcatek

#7 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:26 AM

Yahoo has one also in their free toolbar.

#8 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 01:59 PM

I have tried using both Firebird, Opra and other browsers in the past, which are faster then IE and no pop-ups, however I have had problems getting flash and some websites to work properly with other browsers and I end up returning to IE. I have added a Netscape tool bar to IE that includes a pop-up blocker that works well for me.

#9 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:06 PM

I hear Windows XP SP2 will include pop-up blocking in IE.
http://www.pepper.net/(my personal noncommercial site)
ViP622-DVR L445RBDD-N, DishHDGold+Mobile/Pcola_Locals+SkyAngel4Life
MRX1000 and Primestar oval dish on SG2100 for FTA

#10 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:52 AM

Go with google!
HarryD

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:58 AM

www.myie2.com which uses the Internet Explorer engine also includes a pop-up blocker as well as a content blocker.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#12 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:53 AM

Google's toolbar get's my vote.

#13 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:15 PM

Being a network admin and fighting to keep pc's clean all day,, those of you choosing google and yahoo,, you might also want to get a spyware checker,, both of those extra toolbars are known to be loaded . Spybot Search and Destroy is a good free one and they have regular updates. As far as a free popup killer,, dont know a good free one. There is one included with Zone Alarm Pro, that works like a charm. ZA has also been rated the best firewall program produced and there is a free version.

#14 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:42 PM

I have tried using both Firebird, Opra and other browsers in the past, which are faster then IE and no pop-ups, however I have had problems getting flash and some websites to work properly with other browsers and I end up returning to IE. I have added a Netscape tool bar to IE that includes a pop-up blocker that works well for me.

It can be a little more tricky getting Flash and stuff installed, but I had no problem. I have the latest version of Flash, Shockwave, Quicktime plugin, Acrobat Reader, Java, RealMedia plugin... all working perfectly in Firefox (used to be called Firebird). I rarely encounter a webpage now that doesn't work.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#15 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:35 PM

Being a network admin and fighting to keep pc's clean all day,, those of you choosing google and yahoo,, you might also want to get a spyware checker,, both of those extra toolbars are known to be loaded . Spybot Search and Destroy is a good free one and they have regular updates. As far as a free popup killer,, dont know a good free one. There is one included with Zone Alarm Pro, that works like a charm. ZA has also been rated the best firewall program produced and there is a free version.

Google Toolbar gives feedback to google (page ranking), only if you enable advanced functions. There is no spyware included with it.

http://toolbar.google.com/privacy.html

BTW, I run spybot regularly.

#16 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:18 AM

You are right on that,, only if the advanced functions are enabled.

#17 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:51 AM

If you need help in getting JAva or Falsh to work in Firefox PM me.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#18 OFFLINE   firephoto

firephoto

Icon

• Registered
  • 863 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:06 PM

If u must use IE for poorly coded pages (front page) then use the Google toolbar which doesn't do anything in a hidden or suspicious way. If you want fast browsing along with good pop up blocking then use the latest firefox browser.
http://texturizer.ne...efox/index.html
That link should get you going with mozilla firefox.

If you want the absolute fastest browser then my vote is with Opera, but it has a different "feel" to it.
http://www.opera.com/

I wouldn't recomend any extra software running besides your browser, it just seems to come along with it's own problems.

If you decide to use firefox be aware that you will have to allow popups on certain secure login addresses that actually don't have popups. Hotmail and Aol based webmails are this way along with some other sites.

#19 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 03:32 PM

It can be a little more tricky getting Flash and stuff installed, but I had no problem. I have the latest version of Flash, Shockwave, Quicktime plugin, Acrobat Reader, Java, RealMedia plugin... all working perfectly in Firefox (used to be called Firebird). I rarely encounter a webpage now that doesn't work.

I started getting pop-ups again on EI with the Netscape tool bar with popup blocker turned on so on Friday I loaded Firefox on to my family's laptop and it does work great and had no problem loading flash unto FireFox, however I tried once again to do this on my desktop with Firebird and I still can not make it take. So far I have really enjoyed using Firefox with no problems, except on the Car and Driver website, it has a scrolling news box that does not seam to work properly but this is no big deal since I prefer going straight to the news page anyway.

I want to upgrade my desktop from Firebird to Firefox and I downloaded the installer but can not get it to work, I did not have any extensions to disable on Firebird, how do you change the profile on Firebird that the Mozila website instructs you to do when their is no extensions to disable?

#20 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:30 PM

I hear Windows XP SP2 will include pop-up blocking in IE.

The public preview of the XP SP2 is available at
http://www.microsoft...sp2preview.mspx

I can't tell you anything about it or I'd have to kill you, but http://www.microsoft...n/winxpsp2.mspx will give you more than a few clues.
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

spam firewall