Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Messenger Alerts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:38 AM

A friend of mine's computer keeps having these messages popup in the center of the screen on the computer saying messenger alert and then some sex message and you have to click ok or X it off. Someimtes there are 3 or 4 one after the other. It has become very annoying but they don't know how to get it off. They run spyware check software. Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:51 AM

They could always shoot the messenger. This program will allow you to turn off the messenger service (which is not related to Instant Messaging) on 2000 and XP.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   Maniacal1

Maniacal1

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:03 AM

You don't need a program to stop Messenger. You can do it through your Control Panels:

Click Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Services
Select "Messenger" and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable in the Startup Type scroll bar.
Click OK.

No more annoying messages.

#4 OFFLINE   Orcatek

Orcatek

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:07 AM

They can kill it via their firewall if they have one. Their computer is visible on the network outside a firewall - hence the messages. Its a type of spam. In general your friends machine is at risk for a ton of other more malicious attacks since it is visible and obviously not well protected. Odds are a large portion of his hard drive can be read or even updated by strangers.

Or it can be turned off as stated by others. But the real concern is his unprotected computer. Virus protection and spyware protection is just a start for a broadband connection. A hardware or software firewall is really needed for safety.
Orcatek

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:26 AM

You don't need a program to stop Messenger. You can do it through your Control Panels.

You are entirely correct, Manicial1.

However, working in technical support and dealing with the typical user (i.e. :newbie: ), I want to keep the user as far away from the registry or MMC as possible since it could protentially cause bigger headaches. :bang

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:34 AM

Then again some of us users think it woudl be nice if we had some measure of control over the PC. All a matter of perspective I guess.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...