Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dial-up w/wirelas router?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:21 PM

I just purchased a USRobotics USR8054 811g wireless router and a wireless adapter for a laptop. I have my PC connected by Cat 5e to router and I have laptop connected to network via a wireless adapter. My problem is that at this time I connect to the internet by dial-up from the laptop because I am having modem driver issues at this time on the PC and do not have a cable or dsl modem to connect directly to router as instruction shows. I want to connect to internet by the laptops modem, how do I set this up?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:18 PM

I do not think that you can. THe device you bought usually allows you to share a broadband connection.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#3 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:41 PM

Are these the only 2 computers on the network, or are they part of a larger network? If you can see both computers on the network, try Internet Connection Sharing. I know ICS is considered a lousy option by many, but if its on your computer and it works for the time being...
I have no idea if this will work or not, but if you can see both computers on the network it seems the router will work as a hub and you should be able to share resources, including a modem.

#4 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:55 AM

Why don't you just use to two modems in the computers to dial into the internet? cheaper and easier. The router is made for DSL or cable only, and possibly something like starband or directway.

#5 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:38 AM

You could try this modem to share your connection. http://www.radioshac...duct_id=25-3211
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:22 AM

Are these the only 2 computers on the network, or are they part of a larger network? If you can see both computers on the network, try Internet Connection Sharing. I know ICS is considered a lousy option by many, but if its on your computer and it works for the time being...
I have no idea if this will work or not, but if you can see both computers on the network it seems the router will work as a hub and you should be able to share resources, including a modem.

Currently only 2, however I plan on adding a 3rd once a 2nd laptop is repaired and a card added. I did have the 2 computers connected pear to pear via cat 5 e crossover cable and were seeing each other fine and sharing internet, printer and files until a cable connector broke on one end, we were already planning on going wireless and adding the 3rd computer. I agree with you on using ICS, and as long as the two and eventually three computers could see each other their should be no problem sharing a single dial-up. We purchased this set up last night and I am currently trying to figure out how to set the adapter-card to enterprise mode so it can communicate with the router and hopefully see the desktop. Any tips or suggestions on setting this up.

Why don't you just use to two modems in the computers to dial into the internet? cheaper and easier. The router is made for DSL or cable only, and possibly something like starband or directway.

Because I only have 1 phone line and I want to be able to get on-line at the same time as my daughter and or wife.

#7 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:47 AM

I would be intersted in hearing if you get this to work. I did nott hink that most routers support this. Sharing dialup is always a bit dicey. Given the us of ICS though why not try a phone line or power line network. That will work as no router is required.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#8 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:19 AM

The biggest problem with sharing dialup is that it is slow as molasses. Especially when you get beyond 2 computers. Whatever speed you get with your dialup you can divide by the number of computers accessing it.

My own experience with routers and wireless is all Linksys, so as far as exact advice on the USR equipment, I can't do that. My laptop's wireless card first establishes the link with the network, then the link with the internet. If it cannot establish a link to the internet through the router I still have access to the network. If I disconnect my cable modem I can still see the other computers on my network. Of course a router is meant to route the internet connection, but the router also is acting as a hub. I haven't set up ICS for a couple of years now, but if you can get the network up through the router you should be able to access a modem on whatever computer you decide to make the primary computer.

Of course if you want to go the route of most of the suggestions here, if you want to go out and buy more equipment it should be easy to do. If you are cheap like me and want to try and make what you have work its fun to see if you can make what you have do what you want. Some guys just need to think outside of the box. I spent a couple of hours last night figuring out how to make my home theatre do what the receiver manual said it couldn't. :D

#9 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:25 AM

Some routers do have a serial port to connect a dial up modem...

#10 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:39 AM

I looked at the specsa and saw no serial port. I too have tried to tweak products etc. (I got Windows 286 to run on my PC XT clone) but I think this one might be hard to get working. If you use ICS through one machine it will have to stay on. I think that the phone and power line solutions are more practical. But to each their own.

#11 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:16 AM

True, if the internet connection is going to be through the laptop, it will have to be on whenever the desktop wants to access the internet. However, this seems to be Chris's daughter's computer, so I would think that is probably somewhat limited. Depending on how old she is, its probably only the 10 or 12 hours after school when she wants to IM all her friends. :D

Obviously, using the router, and with multiple computers on the network, a broadband solution would be the best, but then again I don't have all the details. That wasn't an option for me either in St. Louis, with no cable or DSL provider available.

#12 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:47 AM

True, if the internet connection is going to be through the laptop, it will have to be on whenever the desktop wants to access the internet. However, this seems to be Chris's daughter's computer, so I would think that is probably somewhat limited. Depending on how old she is, its probably only the 10 or 12 hours after school when she wants to IM all her friends. :D

Obviously, using the router, and with multiple computers on the network, a broadband solution would be the best, but then again I don't have all the details. That wasn't an option for me either in St. Louis, with no cable or DSL provider available.

Yes it is my daughters laptop that currently has the only working modem in the house and yes she is 15 and when she gets home you are correct she does want to IM all her friends :D .

The modem problem in the desktop is another issue all together that I was not going to get into yet, was hoping to re-establish an internet connection to it to directly download some updates to hopefully fix that problem. I would get cable internet (not to be confused with cable tv :D ) except money is tight right now and I get my dial-up for Free from my wife's work.

Last night my daughter came home just when I was trying to set the network up and insisted on helping me even though I would have preferred to work alone :D so this morning I un-installed and then re-instaled the drivers for the card in the laptop and re-set all my shares, print and file share now work but not the internet share :shrug:, it is showing that the internet connection is active on the desktop but my browsers refuses to load a new web page, could this be because of the slowness of g wireless? I guess it may be time for me to call customer support.

#13 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:39 PM

What OS es are involved? Does the client machine know its intenet connection is through ICS?

#14 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:06 AM

What OS es are involved? Does the client machine know its intenet connection is through ICS?

Windows XP Home on all my computers.

It appears that I should have done more homework before purchasing this router/switch, I have since discovered that their are wireless routers available with a built in dial-up modem. I have had some IT training in networking and thought since I was actually using only the switch portion and not actually using the router function of this device that their would be no problem with sharing the dial-up from the laptop, in theory this should have worked, especially since the other shares work and the laptop and the desktop will successfully ping each other so they are communicating but evidently for some reason not enough of the internet packets are getting through to the desktop. When talking to USR support I was told that officially that this router/switch device does not support dial-up, however the tech agreed with me that in theory it should work. I suspect that if I connected the laptop directly to the switch by cable that it might work, but then I just paid a big price for a traditional switch :( , . I guess I can still go still wireless when all we want to do is print or share files on the 2 computers and if we have the laptop at a restaurant or a park where wireless access points are available :) .

#15 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:37 AM

Chris freeland, why don't you just give up and get at least DSL? Wouldn't your speed drop to something like 28mbps per computer on the router, if you had full 56k on the line to start with?

#16 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:51 AM

Chris freeland, why don't you just give up and get at least DSL? Wouldn't your speed drop to something like 28mbps per computer on the router, if you had full 56k on the line to start with?

$$$$$ :( I am still not working full time, just temp jobs when they become available, and we currently get are dial-up service FREE from my wife's work, which is are ISP. Once I can find permanent and steady work I hope to get some kind of broadband at that time. :)

#17 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 12:11 PM

Unless I missed something, you'd do it this way:

1) On your desktop PC, either get your modem drivers fixed or get another cheap-as-dirt modem card.

2) Connect your desktop to the wireless router. If necessary, get a cheap-as-dirt Ethernet card to make the connection.

3) Turn on Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on your desktop.

Now whenever anyone tries to connect to the Internet wirelessly through the router, it should make the desktop dial in to the ISP and eventually make the connection.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#18 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 12:49 PM

Windows XP Home on all my computers.

It appears that I should have done more homework before purchasing this router/switch, I have since discovered that their are wireless routers available with a built in dial-up modem. I have had some IT training in networking and thought since I was actually using only the switch portion and not actually using the router function of this device that their would be no problem with sharing the dial-up from the laptop, in theory this should have worked, especially since the other shares work and the laptop and the desktop will successfully ping each other so they are communicating but evidently for some reason not enough of the internet packets are getting through to the desktop. When talking to USR support I was told that officially that this router/switch device does not support dial-up, however the tech agreed with me that in theory it should work. I suspect that if I connected the laptop directly to the switch by cable that it might work, but then I just paid a big price for a traditional switch :( , . I guess I can still go still wireless when all we want to do is print or share files on the 2 computers and if we have the laptop at a restaurant or a park where wireless access points are available :) .

Simply using the switch function of the router you have, IF you have Windows XP Pro on the main computer you could very easily do what you want, though that computer would have to be on all the time and it would have to have the modem. The other computers could have XP Home or any other OS really. But XP Pro on the main computer would be a necessity. Or Windows 2000 Pro would work, also.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#19 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 02:08 PM

Good News Update: ICS is now working, it was slow loading the desktop home page but now that it is up and running it doing good for a dial-up connection on both computers. Last night and this morning, multiple browsers were left open on both my screen and my daughters, at lunch to day I did a re-start of the laptop to clear up this junk and others on the computer and this seamed to open the way for the internet packets to get through to the desktop, hurray I am so happy!!! Now to tackle the modem problem on the desktop, more on that latter. :) :) :) :) :)

#20 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 02:30 PM

Glad to hear it Chris. Especially since it proves I was right. :D :sure: :lol: :grin:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...