Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dial-up w/wirelas router?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 03:12 PM

Glad to hear it Chris. Especially since it proves I was right. :D :sure: :lol: :grin:

Yes you and me both :D .

#22 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 03:36 PM

Unless I missed something, you'd do it this way:

1) On your desktop PC, either get your modem drivers fixed or get another cheap-as-dirt modem card.

2) Connect your desktop to the wireless router. If necessary, get a cheap-as-dirt Ethernet card to make the connection.

3) Turn on Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on your desktop.

Now whenever anyone tries to connect to the Internet wirelessly through the router, it should make the desktop dial in to the ISP and eventually make the connection.

Now that I got the IS working on the laptop to share with the desk top I will tackle the modem problem on my desktop. The problem is not the modem, the computer is not seeing the driver. A couple of weeks ago my usr modem stopped working and when I checked the device manager it showed the driver disabled and when I tried re-activate it I could not so I attempted to do a re-install and the driver disappeared all together and left me with a choice of some generic drivers that are useless, I then went out and bought a new cheap modem and tried to install it and it does the same, someone suggested that a Windows update may have done this and go to the Dell website since it is a Dell desk top and I coule probably find the drivers that I need their, so tonight I will probably do this and see what happens.

#23 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 04:45 PM

Good luck. Ain't computers fun? :D

#24 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:54 PM

Good luck. Ain't computers fun? :D

Yea, so much fun I am trying to make a living working with computers, I guess my problems are good practice or maybe I am just a gluten for punishment. :D

#25 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:11 AM

A couple of weeks ago my usr modem stopped working and when I checked the device manager it showed the driver disabled ...

Have you tried a System Restore to a date when the modem was still working? For me, System Restore solves a lot of mysterious problems, which I would otherwise have to figure out. :D
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#26 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:14 AM

Great! I ssupected that it would not be practical but I guess Iw as wrong.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#27 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:01 AM

Have you tried a System Restore to a date when the modem was still working? For me, System Restore solves a lot of mysterious problems, which I would otherwise have to figure out. :D

No I have not, good idea! If I did this would I not need to take out my new modem and pute the old one back in for this to work?

#28 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:03 AM

No I have not, good idea! If I did this would I not need to take out my new modem and pute the old one back in for this to work?

Probably. But then again the problem may be a conflict with the driver etc. It might be worth a shot.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#29 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:40 PM

First check System Restore to make sure a sufficiently old restore date is available. If so...

1) Swap the modems so the original is back in.

2) Run the System Restore. If the system recognizes the modem again, you can decide whether you want to install the new modem.

But if your System Restore dates don't go back far enough, never mind.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#30 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 03:03 PM

First check System Restore to make sure a sufficiently old restore date is available. If so...

1) Swap the modems so the original is back in.

2) Run the System Restore. If the system recognizes the modem again, you can decide whether you want to install the new modem.

But if your System Restore dates don't go back far enough, never mind.

I tried this today, I went all the way back to February 27 and unfortunately it still will not see modem so I went back to new one which also does not see the drivers.

spam firewall