Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TV will not power off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   epack

epack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:13 PM

I'm having a problem with an older Magnavox TV that is no longer under warranty, and having great difficulty finding help (that I can afford!). A close friend, who has a Home Theater, suggested that I post my question here as you folks tend to be quite expert on TVs, so apologies in advance if it's somewhat off topic. Dunno where else to turn :(

The TV in question, Magnovox model number HD2506C401 circa 1994, doesn't power off normally. If I hit the power switch, it changes to closed captioning even tho I do NOT have that feature enabled! The only way to completely power it off is to physically pull the plug, or when we had standard cable, power off the scrambler box. A year or so ago my daughter and I were horsing around with a remote on the TV/VCR etc, and it occurs to me that we may have pressed some combination of keys that accidentally created the problem, but who knows? We just got DirecTV last weekend, but that did not affect the TV. I can now power off the box but the TV still stays on.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try? I'd be happy for a general reset of some kind, if that's possible, then just set it up again.

Thanks!
Elaine Pack, Web Analyst, Charlottesville, VA
eppack at gmail dot com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:16 PM

See if you can borrow a universal remote. Although many are quite inexpensive. See if it rects differently. But are you saying that it does not respond to the on off switch on the set?
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#3 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:22 PM

Wanna Swap, I have a sony XBR about the same vintage and it keeps turning itself on, when we leave the house we unplug it as a precaution.

Bob

#4 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 04:04 PM

Get an X10 remote controlled switch. I have one for the lamp in my HT room and it freaks everyone out when I use a remote to turn the light on and off. They come in Appliance rated wattage as well, so you could even plug an air conditioner into it.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#5 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:59 PM

You can call 1-800-remotes for replacement remote. You could pull your batteries for several hours, try new batteries, check for signal from each button. Magnavox had some hidden demo buttons back then that would not allow remote power off unless you knew how. We used to go to competitors and put them in demo mode and generally create a lot of salesman insanity.

#6 OFFLINE   parlyle

parlyle

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:28 PM

I'm having a problem with an older Magnavox TV that is no longer under warranty, and having great difficulty finding help (that I can afford!). A close friend, who has a Home Theater, suggested that I post my question here as you folks tend to be quite expert on TVs, so apologies in advance if it's somewhat off topic. Dunno where else to turn :(

The TV in question, Magnovox model number HD2506C401 circa 1994, doesn't power off normally. If I hit the power switch, it changes to closed captioning even tho I do NOT have that feature enabled! The only way to completely power it off is to physically pull the plug, or when we had standard cable, power off the scrambler box. A year or so ago my daughter and I were horsing around with a remote on the TV/VCR etc, and it occurs to me that we may have pressed some combination of keys that accidentally created the problem, but who knows? We just got DirecTV last weekend, but that did not affect the TV. I can now power off the box but the TV still stays on.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try? I'd be happy for a general reset of some kind, if that's possible, then just set it up again.

Thanks!

If you want to go to a site that can answer any number of "remote" questions and be able to get a replacement if you think you need it. Go to < http://www.remotecentral.com > It helped me not to long ago.
Lyle

#7 OFFLINE   epack

epack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:10 PM

See if you can borrow a universal remote. Although many are quite inexpensive. See if it rects differently. But are you saying that it does not respond to the on off switch on the set?

Yes, that is correct, Geronimo. The on off switch ON THE SET does not turn it off or on, it only turns the closed captioning on and off. Sorry for any confusion. The remote works fine, but my original speculation is that something we inadvertently did with the remote may have caused the problem, I dunno. The remote in question is a universal one, although in fairness, it did come with a new (Christmas 2002) Panasonic VCR.

Thanks!

elaine
eppack at gmail dot com

#8 OFFLINE   retiredTech

retiredTech

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:41 PM

sounds like you may a have "chip" problem.
I assume you have tried unpluging the set over night.(this should reset it)
How do you power it on? Does the on/off work for on? or does it just come on with repluging the ac?
One work around would be to just get a "remote ac switch"
or even a ole' cheap "wired ac cord/switch".

#9 OFFLINE   nsafreak

nsafreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 01:17 AM

I had something similar happen with an old Mitsubishi set we used to own except I did this on purpose and knew what I did. You see I used to have one of those watches from Casio with a universal remote built into it. It had all the standard TV buttons (well aside from numerical) and it would control all the functions of a TV set. Well when I pressed the TV/VCR button and point it at the old Mitsubishi it would completely lock down the set. I should mention that the standard Mitsubishi remote did not have this button on it. The only buttons that responded on the set were the volume buttons. You couldn't change the channels, put it into sleep mode (had a button on front for it), or turn the power off on the unit. I did this when I was with my parents and didn't want to have people changing channels while I was watching a show :). In any case it sounds like you may have hit a similar button that I hit upon. Try finding a universal remote, programming it to your TV set and hitting function buttons that your TV doesn't support because they can do strange things like this.

#10 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:36 AM

Get an X10 remote controlled switch. I have one for the lamp in my HT room and it freaks everyone out when I use a remote to turn the light on and off. They come in Appliance rated wattage as well, so you could even plug an air conditioner into it.

I have my whole house set up on X10, with a couple of wireless remotes and a computer interface which allows me to set timers/dimmers for lights and such. It is nice to have the lights automatically turn on and dim to a set level relative to sunset.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#11 OFFLINE   epack

epack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:45 AM

sounds like you may a have "chip" problem.
I assume you have tried unpluging the set over night.(this should reset it)

Oh yes, that's the only way to turn it off, we have to unplug it completely.

>How do you power it on? Does the on/off work for on? or does it just come on with repluging the ac?

Right now as noted, we plug it into the wall, and it turns on, and viceversa. The on/off doesn't work at all, it just turns the closed captioning on/off.

Elaine
eppack at gmail dot com

#12 OFFLINE   epack

epack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:50 AM

In any case it sounds like you may have hit a similar button that I hit upon. Try finding a universal remote, programming it to your TV set and hitting function buttons that your TV doesn't support because they can do strange things like this.

I think you've hit on the cause, nsafreak. The remote in question has a LOT of buttons, it's not just a simple generic remote. And since we were indeed fiddling with it at the time, or rather my daughter was :) it's entirely possible that we double bumped a button or two.

That said, would a new universal remote really "reset" the tv, do you think?? If the problem occurs without a remote being involved, as it does, doesn't this mean the set itself is "broken"?

elaine
eppack at gmail dot com

#13 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:24 AM

From your description, the power button on the TV doesn't work, and will not receive remote signals. New remotes, the manufacture's or others will not work. Time to call a tech in.

spam firewall