Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ask Dbstalk:pip In Hd Mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 07:12 AM

Is there any possibility through future software upgrades that PIP will be available in HD mode? If not, why is this feature not a reality? !pride

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 07:20 AM

It requires a great deal of computational power to do an HD video decode (and then render the decoded frames to the screen). Hence, it is likely that this pretty much exhausts the resources available to the 921, and thus it cannot simultaneously run another video decode. It can always record another channel to disk, since this requires no decoding (i.e. the MPEG2 data is written in its original state to the hard disk), but actually watching an HD channel and another channel at the same time is probably not going to be possible.

For comparison purposes, take a PC which just barely has enough CPU and/or memory to play a single DVD movie. While it's playing that movie, start playing another (different) DVD movie. The results will not be pleasant.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 07:34 AM

This isn't possible due to hardware limitations.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:40 PM

Eagles-
In fact, the original 921 prototype displayed at CES2003 had this HD PIP feature activated but there were many problems with it. The only PIP that came close to working was the 1080i in 1080i and that was with much stuttering with lots of lost frames. The main issue was the mixing of HD scan rates such as 720P and 1080i. Although I know this could be resolved technically with an HD Frame store and scan converter even with frame delay but the cost factor would not be pretty. Bottom line- mixing simple 480i with 480i is easy and low cost but the myriad of Digital ATSC formats in PIP would be a real hardware nightmare and extremely costly.

#5 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:00 PM

My TV seemed to be able to do it when I connected the 6000 and 921 both to it. They were both 1080i signals though.... The 921 sort of does it with the preview window when viewing the guide or the DVR menu, however, it is only decompressing one signal when doing that. You would think it would be able to do a PIP with one combination of SD and HD channels. HD and HD seems like it would be difficult from what was just mentioned and decompressing two HD channels. SD and SD works. Seems like SD and HD, and HD and SD should be plausable though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...