Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTALK: Two satellite feeds required?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fisherman

fisherman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:48 PM

I have a brand new 921 sitting in front of me, but unfortunately not in a working state. I have a single rg6 line running from my roof to the location of the 921 and was told by "advance technical support" at dish that the device would not function (won't even boot up) without two lines connected.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

My 921 shows the Dish HDTV logo after being plugged in, but then the screen goes blank. After that, the orange online light blinks and the red light (top one) blinks less frequently.

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BarryO

BarryO

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 01:00 PM

Yup. Two feeds, exactly the same (i.e., seeing the same satellites in the same configuration) are required. The code won't even bother trying with just one. Dish said this in a Tech Chat a few months ago.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:01 PM

And has been confirmed by everyone. You can't get past the check switch without both satellite lines connected. You have 2 options - run a second line to your 921 from your dish or switch, or wait for the DPP44 switch to come out, get one, make sure the lnbs on your dish are DishPro, and also get the dishpro splitter that will allow you to split the one line to connect to the 2 tuners.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   fisherman

fisherman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:05 PM

Ok- the part which weirded me more than this was the lack of any screen beyond a black screen and flashing lights. I don't get to any check switch screen, or looking for signal screen, so I am still wondering if I have something defective on top of the problem with a single line.

Hmmm, wonder if I can find an installer on the weekend.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:24 PM

My guess is that you got the black screen because the 921 was using the satellite tuner that isn't connected to the one line coming in. Flashing lights were because it was completely confused due to no signal coming to the active tuner.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#6 OFFLINE   fisherman

fisherman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:54 PM

Well, I've hooked up and tested both feeds (nothing funky, the only two feeds coming off my sats) and I am still seeing the same behavior. The first tech support agent advised waiting 45 minutes for software to load, and the second has asked me to wait 5 hours at the black screen.

Any truth to this? I am beginning to think I'll get to talk to tech support a lot before this thing works.

For the record:

1) power on
2) Dish HDTV logo (10-20 seconds)
3) black screen (no text, etc.)
4) blinking amber light, then solid, then two blinks of red
5) repeat 4 forever

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:11 AM

Leave it hooked up to both satellite lines, plugged in, in standby mode (off) overnight here, and see if it's still doing this in the morning.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#8 OFFLINE   fisherman

fisherman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:15 PM

For anyone following along at home, turns out the unit is dead; it'll be replaced (hopefully) this week and I'll join the ranks here as a 921 beta/alpha tester.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.

spam firewall